Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Yes, I’ve noticed a decreased battery life on my Series 3. By hard to be sure until I give it more time.

What’s it got to do with Walkie Talkie? I haven’t used it yet.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
It may be OS 5 or it may be the tendency of people to mess more with a device for a while after upgrading.

Hopefully it's not the OS.

TylerDurden130

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Yep definitely a big dip, but hopefully resolved itself quickly. I thought it was just me since I had to unpair and repair the watch yesterday to get iOS 5 to work.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
Hmmm. I updated yesterday and today have horrible battery life! I normally get through most days between 50-73%, depending on which face I use. For most of the day I used one of the new breathe faces but I often use the flower one, so I would think the battery use would be similar.

Right now I am at 17%!!! It can’t just be from the watch face. I will restart it tonight before charging but I can’t think of anything else that would cause this.

I am not using the walkie talkie thing, although it is installed. The only thing that polls constantly is the stock weather app.

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
Yep first day after install my battery almost depleted. Everyday after that I’ve been finishing at my normal with 73% left on my S3 watch.

Thank you. My watch completely depleted yesterday. A restart really didn’t do anything, but I read on another thread to do a hard restart and that seems to have made things considerably better.

Reactions: Mabus51

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Day 1 was terrible. Overcast was always trying to sync everything over. Once I asked Overcast to stop it went back to normal. I could get 2 full days out of it, which includes two morning runs. As it stands I'm 24 hours (and 1 run in), and it's at 66%, so I could almost get 3 days. If anything, it's gotten a tiny bit better after initial issues.

Jason Hensley

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2018
A restart seems to have fixed things for me a bit as well. Podcasts is still using a fair amount of battery, but it lasts much longer than my 1.5 hours I was seeing the first two days.

ayasinsk

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
It’s been noticeably worse for my s2. I usually end the day with about 75%, today I ended with 59%. I have tried restarting multiple times and even unpaired/paird. Third day and battery is bad. I think in part it has to do with WiFi being on all the time. Before os5 if you comeback into range of your watch WiFi turns off, now it’s on all the time. Through out the day I turn off WiFi maybe 15 times.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Battery life is really bad on my series 1.
The Watch didn't make it to the evening yesterday, it run out of power just before leaving work. Today is no better, I'm below 50% and is not even lunch time. Of course I tried to restart the Watch, even this morning, but it doesn't change anything.
I was really tempted by series 4 when it was announced on stage, then I thought I could keep my series 1 for another year but I really think I'll make the switch. Not only battery is bad, the Watch feels slower than before. It wasn't that fast already, but know I can frequently experience stuttering animations and switching between faces is really slow (wasn't fast in watchOS 4 either)

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
My battery life is the same. (S3)

But i don't have the podcast app installed.

(Since i didn't have it on my iPhone when i upgraded, the Podcast app was also not on my Watch. Even after adding it to the iPhone it is not getting installed.. not going to restore, because i'm waiting for my S4 ;) )

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Well, Podcast eats battery like cereal. It’s like 20% on my S3 LTE with one Connect episode (no iPhone). :eek:

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
Does just having the podcast app installed on the watch make a difference? I would think it would have to be open to drain the battery. But I’ll delete it if it would make a difference. I don’t listen to podcasts.

TDHawks

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2018
Mine has been draining faster. It also seems to be charging slower as well, maybe that’s just in my head. One other thing I noticed is my exercise ring closes extremely fast on its own as a post to me selecting a workout. I work in a gym and I’m on my feet all day, but after an hour it’s 80% closed without selecting a workout. It wasn’t like this before the update.

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Series 2 Nike doesn't really seem to be affected on WatchOS 5 for general notifications. However I am noticing that Workouts are draining the battery faster. Pretty certain its due to the updates to the heart rate sensors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.