Battery performance - series 2 vs series 1

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by SisterBlue22, Apr 23, 2017.

1. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

I have a launch day original Apple Watch (is that series 1? I see references to a series 0) that I've worn every day since I got it. Battery performance was never great, but lately I notice it's dead or close to it by 6pm (it comes off the charger at about 6:15am each morning). Is the battery performance in the series 2 significantly better? I'm kinda jonesing to switch to rose gold anyway, and figured it might be worth it if I can kill two birds with one stone.

Anyone had both and can compare? Thanks!!

2. Volusia macrumors 6502

Volusia

I had a Series 0 (the original  Watch) for little over a year (wife currently using it). I would charge it overnight and put in on by around 7am in the morning. By evening, 9PM or so, it would be at about 30% with my normal usage. I recently got a Series 2 and by around the same time of the evening I often have 60% left.

3. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

It is significantly better battery life with the Series 2. I also have a launch Day AW Sport. Those were Gen 1 / Series 0. I would notice that it was dead or close too it around 6 or 7 PM each night. My series 2 battery life will easily be between 60-70% at 6PM IF you aren't heavy on the GPS use, without the phone.

The increased batter life and faster processor make it a nice upgrade, even if you don't count the GPS and water resistence.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Series 2 has a larger battery over Series 1, although they are both rated at 18 hours under performance. If GPS is disabled on Series 2, my understanding (From various readings) it results in a 30% increase for additional usability.

5. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

are you using a 38mm or 42mm?

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

It is a bad day if I don't have 50% remaining after 16 hours of where my S0 42mm. I can almost get 2 full solid days and that includes over an hour of workout.

7. biosci macrumors 6502a

My series 0 would be dead around the same time... 5pm or so with putting it on around 6:30am. BUT... I reset it and started as a new watch and my battery life came back.

8. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Before WatchOS 3.2 my watch would die in around 12 hours (7AM-7PM). Now I can get to 11PM with 10% left in the battery (9PM if with 1 hour~ work out). I have accepted that this is the best it could get for an almost 2-year old watch battery. Previously I was able to get almost 2 days out of my 38mm.

My suggestion is that you try to regulate your watch's power usage in settings and manage power-draining features like brightness, mute unimportant notifications and set your watch to track your running only if it senses you are actually running. (This is what I did).

Extreme measures includes turning off raise to wake as well as well as turning off background app refresh & disable heart rate monitor during workouts.

Then you can save up for Series 3, and enjoy it even longer.

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I had the series 0 and got a Nike series 2. It's 2-3 times better battery life for my usage. I get over two solid days if not closer to three. My original got 16 hours.

Today for example with moderate use I'm at 87% remaining and it's been off the charger for about 8 hours so far.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Series 2 has a larger battery over the first generation Apple Watch. That said, it also helps the battery is The efficiency of the processor they can help manage the battery better, where as the first generation Apple Watch was not as powerful and it didn't take much to deprive the battery with third-party applications and using the heart rate sensor actively. WatchOS updates have also helped significantly with the battery life over the duration of the Apple Watch.

11. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Same here. I have an original series 0 that I wear everyday. The battery is getting worse and worse. It used to last all day, from 6am to 10pm - and the battery would be around 40% at 9pm. But now, I get 10% warnings around 7pm. Many times I've had to go into battery-saving mode now that I never used to have to do.

I'd like to wait for a series 3 in the fall. But I don't know how much worse it will get over the summer. Will I have to charge it again at lunch time every day?

12. Fynd macrumors 6502

Series 2 lasts significantly longer than Series 1. I say that after owning both for a reasonable enough amount of time to test it out. The only thing that would change that is actively using the GPS by leaving your phone behind for a lengthy workout.

13. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I have a 38mm original Watch that's 1.5 years old, and, after the 3.2 update, I'm at 53% after about 12 hours. I did unpair it and set it up as a new watch after the update.

Granted, the only app I have installed is Dark Sky (and it's not one of my face complications,) and my usage is probably pretty light compared to most people. I may turn off activity and heart rate monitoring to see how much that improves things, since I'm pretty active and don't bother paying attention to that stuff.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Both Series 1 and Series 2 are rated at 18 hours, but I believe the battery is larger in the Series 2 Apple Watch, which results in a stronger battery life coupled with the GPS.

15. SisterBlue22 thread starter macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

38mm
    --- Post Merged, May 4, 2017 ---
    My update is that I went out and bought a new 38mm series 2 the day I wrote this post. :) The difference from my series 0 is nothing short of amazing. Right now it's 3:09pm, I've had it on my wrist since about 6:15am, and I'm still at 76%. I rarely have less than 60% now when I put it on the charger at night. My old watch would be between 20-30% by now, and dead by 6:30-7pm. Love it!

16. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Good choice. Series 2 has much improved/managed battery life from my Experiences as well.