iPhone 6(+) Battery replacement: poor Apple customer service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MN7119, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Bootleg Gucci macrumors regular

Bootleg Gucci

Just went to Apple Store Genius Bar appt for battery replacement on a 6S plus with 687 charge cycles %88 capacity (coconut battery app on Mac). The employee ran Apple’s diagnostics over WiFi connection with the 6S. Their system quoted capacity %95 of original battery design. So he said they couldn’t replace it period ($29 or $79), and the battery was unavailable anyways. I told them that the Apple phone rep who made this appt for me didn’t mention any of the criteria re: below %80 battery capacity. The Genius Bar guy went back to talk to someone and returned saying they could replace the battery for me.

I appreciated the gesture, but I ultimately agreed with the guy in not replacing the 6S battery now and saving the $29 replacement offer until end of this year.

2. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

That’s insane

It was my understanding you can get it replaced period if you’re willing to pay for it.

This is a mess!! Apple has a hot situation on their hands for the foreseeable future

There will be some that check out and go to android.

Maybe not much on macrumors but in real life for average joe who has things to do with his life aside from Apple store visits

This $29 replacement program is beginning to feel like a successful marketing strategy for a service largely not available circumstnatjally or inventory wise.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

This policy literally changed within the last week. Its understandable that some employees may not have gotten the memo of the change as it was very sudden.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2018 ---
    I've been suggesting this to a lot of people as well. Wait until closer to the end of the year for your battery to be worse. Then you can get a new battery and have another 18-24 months of worry-free, essentially extending the life of the phone. If you're battery is above 90% health, might as well take the free year of battery life and get it replaced down the road.

4. HallStevenson macrumors 6502a

HallStevenson

Did you read the screenshot you posted ? It doesn't say they will check for battery issues, it's for getting a battery replacement. It also says that by calling, you can "reserve" a battery.

5. Mlrollin91, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018

Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

The screenshot that I posted is on the next page after clicking "Battery" under the list of options to bring my device in.

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 6.50.37 PM.png

It specific states/asks "Need a battery replacement?".

Regardless, my point still stands. It clearly states that supply is limited and to call ahead of time to reserve. If the OP would have followed this, then he would not be in the situation he is currently in. He has no right to blame Apple, because Apple gave a disclaimer.

This in no way absolves Apple of the other issues regarding this fiasco, but this particular matter is not Apple's fault.

6. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

How can you reserve a battery over the phone?

When I called to see if they had inventory in stock they said they couldnt tell me, and didn’t know cause the store doesn’t give store call in support that info

7. Relentless Power, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Just for the record, Apple doesn't verify any product stock numbers over the phone for what they have Physically in the store, as that's per their own policy. They can however tell you if they do have the item available, but nothing More. If an employee were to verify how many of what product you were looking for in store, then they are violating their own policy. (Which includes accessories and or other hardware.)

8. John Crowe macrumors newbie

John Crowe

My Daughter & I Were Also Victimised By Apple with this Latest iPhone Scam...I Recommend Contacting the FCC & Filing a Complaint

9. newellj macrumors 603

You are only a victim if you make that choice.

10. partyboy4357 macrumors member

partyboy4357

Funny/Sad how many people will blindly defend anything apple does no matter what. :rolleyes:

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I agree, you need to stop doing that!:)

12. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Well, their is email that would let ALL stores and staff know at the exact same time about the new policies.. I’m sure they have staff meetings in the mornings.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2018 ---
    Well that’s one utterly stupid policy then... completely lacking in common sense.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I think partly the reason they don't verify stock numbers over the phone, is because of scalpers purchasing wanting to Purchase high quantity and finding out what stores carry specific numbers for stock.

14. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Then surely it makes more sense to just limit how many any one person can buy?

15. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

They do for iPhones I believe. Regardless, I still don't blame them for not advocating how many units/Products they have in stock over the phone for reasons as such and to avoid those who have alternative intentions otherwise.

16. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

We called in… And they told us to come into the store.

Once we were in the store, the rep told us they had no batteries and were taking appointments, but only by phone.

We gave him the phone number and instantly somebody from the call center called us on the phone right there in the store.

From there we were on hold for 15 minutes only to reach somebody who told us they have no batteries at this time, they don't know when they will get more and they are not accepting reservations at this time.

Also, the phone rep said reservations will only be taken for seven days out, maximum, and the best way to get one is to keep calling every single day to see if they have any batteries and openings.

Anyone defending Apple's process here is out of their mind in my opinion and is the definition of a fanboy homer.

Apple is not a dumb company.
    There are clearly better ways to do this and they are choosing not to go down any of those routes.

17. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

The more stories of people’s experiences we see, the more it’s clear Apple is totally incapable of coping with the fallout off this scam. Or it’s what they want as it means less cheap battery changes for them at the end of the day.
    If it’s still the same by the end of February then it’s definitely a move to prevent battery swaps.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2018 ---
    So it’s better to waste, for some several hours and long drives, for no reason at all? Because they can’t tell you if they have a battery if not? Not exactly stellar customer service is it?

18. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

It's impossible to believe that this is the best that Tim Cook's Apple can do.
    His specialty was always operations and supply chain management.

"We have no idea when we'll get more batteries".

None?
    No idea at all?
    The only solution is for me to waste 15 min of my time every single day to "check"?

Absolute horsecr*p..

19. BugeyeSTI macrumors 65816

BugeyeSTI

20. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Wrong, please reread my post. Apple can verify if they have stock of the battery, they cannot verify the actual numbers of how many they have Physically in stock. I don't think a policy of this nature necessarily reflects poor customer service.

For reference:

21. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

My point still stands though, because they won’t reserve a battery for you, the store could have only one battery left but Apples policies means they are only allowed to tell you that they have ‘stock’, so you could waste a lot of time and effort just to get to a store only to be told the ‘stock’ they had was now gone.
    So again, very very poor customer service if you think about it.

22. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Extremely poor - Indefensibly poor.
    It's easy to see effort and motivation when it's there.

They are doing the absolute bare minimum here, and even that is being generous as you could argue they are intentionally making this somewhat harder than it needs to be.

23. Relentless Power, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I understand your point, however I'm not discussing what they reserve or not. The origin of this discussion was simply that you were wrong when you said Apple "Can't tell you if they have a battery or not", when they actually can, they just don't verify stock numbers. That's my point. At no point was I referencing about reserving a battery or the customer service, you continually keeping interjecting that.

That's your prerogative in what you believe about their customer service, but this isn't related to what I corrected you on. I was simply clarifying what you misconstrued earlier in the post about Apple can and cannot verify stock over the phone, they can, just not actual numbers. That was the point of this discussion.

24. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Florida Mall Apple Store here in Orlando was an absolute nightmare. I felt bad for the employees. We made an appointment and was told they weren’t doing appointments for the battery changes. Would of been nice to know before setting a whole day aside just for this. Then we wait an hour and a half inside the store only to be told the battery will take a few weeks to arrive.

The store employees that handled this situation were extremely rude and condescending. I understand it’s a rough time for them and it’s not their fault. But the blatant disrespect they had for all of us sitting around that table was just really upsetting.

The silver lining was she got a call today saying her battery came in. Exactly 3 days after they told us 3-5 weeks. Now we have to go back, without an appointment and wait again to have it replaced.

Not that anyone gives a ****, and it won’t matter because we’re only 2 people, but this whole situation has made me reconsider my purchasing decisions regarding Apple in the future.

25. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I genuinely hope people do jump ship in tangible numbers

The arrogance and incompetence is through the roof