iPhone 6(+) Battery replacement: poor Apple customer service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MN7119, Jan 8, 2018.

1. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Actually the origin of the discussions is what you’ve stated in your second paragraph. You seem to be getting confused with yourself?
    And their customer service is poor in this situation.

2. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

The main thing I've learned on the Macrumors Forums over the years is that there are some people that will defend literally anything Apple does.

3. newellj macrumors 603

This. It's actually unbelievable. This is why I say that there are going to be B-school cases on this for grad students to study for years. :eek:

4. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

But remember....
    ...none of this is about Apple preferring you just buy a brand new iPhone vs a new battery for your existing model..

Uh-huh....Sure...o_O

5. cynics macrumors G4

I'm sure they would prefer you bought a new iPhone. They're a business, it would actually be stupid for them not to prefer that.

However waits related to shortages because of demand are natural. To assume they intensionally are dragging feet to get you to upgrade phones would mean they never run into stock related shortages on iPhones (every iPhone launch).

Has there ever been a thread saying "iPhone X out of stock, Apple must want me to buy a new battery"? Of course not, that doesn't fit agendas very well.

6. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Sorry for not being more clear..

I'm referring to the general situation of their preference for you to buy a new phone. I'm specifically referrring to the static they give you if you wanted a new one for $80 and their diagnostics didn't say you "need one".

Really poor form. They should always have a price where you can get a new battery at anytime you want. I just commented about it in here as it came to mind - wrong place for it though.

7. newellj macrumors 603

No, I really don't think it is. Tell me: how enthusiastic are you and others like you going to be about going to an Apple Store and buying a new phone? A lot of people will just say screw it and pick up that shiny new Samsung.

8. deferredAnon macrumors 6502

deferredAnon

Considering current actions by Apple, I would not wait very late in the year to get replacements, as there would probably be roadblocks by Apple(no battery in stock) or others trying to do the same(no battery in stock). Maybe late summer is the best time.

9. TurkEclipse macrumors newbie

I am going through the same thing. I actually had an appointment the day after they made the announcement that I had made a week earlier so I was going to pay the higher price. I called and said if I could get the lower price. They said I would have to wait until late January per the announcement. The day after that Apple said we are ready! Bring them in! I made two new appointments that same day (Saturday) for the earliest possible which was a week out. I went in talked to several people they even ran tests. Then said we are out of batteries. I said how long do you think before they are back in stock? He said a few days. This Saturday will be week 1 of the wait. This is not being handled properly at all.

10. Relentless Power, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

But it still doesn't change that you were wrong to begin with. Post #92, you stated this originally:

Which is inherently false and I corrected you in Post #95. However, keep deflecting onto their customer service, as this more of a personal rant for you than it is for me. Again, you were inadvertently wrong what you posted in bold in your Post, however you just won't admit it because you want to deflect away onto how poor their customer service is. Please re-read the previous posts before shying away from what you originally posted that was untrue.

11. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Not my experience. Had two recalls on my car, called the dealership to set up an appointment. They asked for my vin # and they said we need to order your parts and would take a week. They scheduled my appoint for a week out. Showed up for my appointment and they replaced the parts.

12. Black Tiger macrumors 6502

Your post is a good example of how Apple was in a no-win situation with this overstated battery “issue”. They try to mitigate battery-induced crashing through software, and get lambasted for doing so. Then they offer a reduced cost battery replacement to appease customers. Then the customers get mad at them when other customers take advantage of the offer and deplete their supply. Take a walk in nature and rethink the meaning of life. When you are on your deathbed, is this sort of thing what you want your life to have consisted of? A minor inconvenience in an otherwise technologically revolutionary time that we live in?

13. Der Keyser macrumors regular

Der Keyser

I have just had an equally horrible customer service experience. I live in a country with no Apple Stores, so we have to send our phones in. I sent in my iPhone 6 which REALLY suffers from throtteling and a very poor battery.
    Well, Apple wont exchange the battery because the phone has a headphone jack that does not work anymore. If i want a new battery I will have to repair the headphone jack as well (for which they charge 328$!!!!!!!!!). I don't care about the headphone jack, but that is not an option with Apple.
    So now I have pay'ed for shipping and will get my phone back without a new battery.

That is just the WORSE customer service i have ever experienced!

14. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Actually I can categorically state 100% YOU are wrong and didn’t read my post correctly, YOU claim Apple has a policy whereby staff are NOT allowed to inform the customer HOW MANY batteries they would have in stock.

You then highlight my post where I state this because I said they cannot tell you if they have ‘A’ battery in stock, as in plural, as in ONE battery, which again YOU claim apple cannot tell you.

Do you want to move those goalposts any more?

If you want to get down to being nitty gritty in your argument then fine...

15. Pnr2020 macrumors regular

Pnr2020

It sounds to me there trying to get out of replacing batteries anyway they can. The headphone jack should have nothing to do with replacing the battery
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2018 ---
    All iPhone 6 Plus battery replacements not available until the spring now

16. Relentless Power, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Last correction in this discussion: Apple cannot verify numbers of any item, you responded by stating it was a 'stupid policy' because of this. They only can tell you if they have the item physically in store, when they actually do so, they just don't verify the actual stock numbers regardless of how many quantity, regardless of what the customer needs for obvious reasons as such.

Thank you for the discussion.

17. cynics macrumors G4

A buddy of mine called the Apple store because his iPhone 6 batter is garbage (excuse the shorthand this was very casual conversation).

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 5.43.40 PM.png

This is likely to verify you are really a customer, with an iPhone that you own, qualifies for the discounted replacement, etc. Keep in mind a lot of people can't even tell you which iPhone they have. Supply is likely limited at this point, I would imagine they will call him back in a month or so.

I'm sure if you lived a VERY long distance away from an Apple store you could make this into one trip through persuasive argument. However it looks like two trips is going to be status quo.

18. Smartass macrumors 65816

So no batteries in stock till spring. I can already see how Apple will probably produce new batteries so fast that they'll 100% have some fatal flaw in them and start exploding like Note 7 did...

19. cynics macrumors G4

Their suppliers run 100% most of the time trying to meet demands. This isn't much different.

What I could see being an issue is the Apple techs making mistakes due to the volume of battery replacement jobs. Probably mostly things like forgetting to reinstall the battery connector bracket (radio shielding as well?) and or really shoddy job replacing the screen adhesive gasket (or not at all). However that could extend to issues causing catastrophic battery failure.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

These technicians should not be making those types of mistakes that you listed. They have a strict guidelines of policy and procedures they have to follow per phone that they have a double check off before they actually physically hand off the phone back to the customer. I'm not saying mistakes can't happen, but they are eliminated by double checking their work IF they do as instructed.

Furthermore, Depending on the store and overall volume of the business, even other technicians will look over someone else's work to make sure was done correctly the first time.

21. kingston73 macrumors 6502a

Isn't that the point of making the appointment though? If you go through the online appt. process it is specifically to replace your battery. The store and/or apple should let you make an appt. without knowing that they will have a battery available for that appt.

22. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is but it seems that is not working all the time.

23. kingston73 macrumors 6502a

Just an FYI, maybe it's just my specific store but I've been on hold for the past 20 mins waiting just to ask if they have a battery for my appt tomorrow. Seems a little excessive to me...

24. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I can not remember calling my Apple Store and not having to wait. Store is likely just opening and there will be lots of people wanting to call.

25. AndyMacAndMic, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

AndyMacAndMic macrumors regular

AndyMacAndMic

That is your solution if someone has a justified problem with Apple's customer service?: Just take a stroll, enjoy nature, think about the meaning of life, walk away and do nothing about it? Really? Your downplaying skills are amazing.