Be a fool, go buy Vista

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Klrbee25, May 2, 2007.

1. Klrbee25 macrumors member

...just couldn't take it anymore and have to comment on these "I just got Vista cus I couldn't wait" threads.

I used to be a member of the 'on the fence' community who was deciding to switch from PC to Mac. Yes, i thought about waiting for new hardware and Leopard. Yes, I noticed that Vista is available and visually improved from XP. Then I tried out Vista on a friend's computer. Talk about all hype and no show. The aero interface that people were so excited about seems useless to me. Why would I hit a 3 key combo to pull that up and have to cycle through windows when I can just alt-tab like always?

I went Mac...Tiger at that.

Sitting down with Tiger was nothing but pure visual and interactive appeal. Everything just 'sings' and even those visually stunning features have well planned purpose. Add the fact that you can boot in XP or Vista either natively or with emulation, and I don't regret buying a Mac now for a moment. Even Microsoft programs that were converted to Mac are far better than their original PC version. For instance, I find Word for Mac to be much more visually and user friendly than the PC version. Further, having used Vista, it's clearly nothing more than a shot-in-the-dark attempt to equal what Mac has already achieved...and Microsoft failed. They even made a new OS that performs worse in benchmarks than XP does! For anyone considering the conversion to Mac, just do it. For those of you who already bought a Vista machine for whatever reason, just hear this...you made a big mistake.

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Uh... ok. Some people just care about getting the specific hardware specs they want at a low price, and don't care about the OS so much. So... yeah. Good for them, I suppose, others care about the OS more, so they get Macs. I don't think being a "fool" has anything to do with it.

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

So you think everyone running a copy of Windows Vista is a fool?

Not to mention there has only just been one (to my knowledge) thread about waiting time and Windows Vista.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

There is a reason that there are many flavors of ice cream -- not everyone likes the same thing. Some people like chocolate and others like vanilla. Some love butter pecan, but if cookie dough is cheaper they get that instead.

What do you care which OS they get anyway? Its all personal preference plus cost, availability, capability, etc. For some people, Vista truly is the best choice.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Heh heh. Both Excel and PowerPoint are Mac programs later ported to MS-DOS or Windows :)

6. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

More then a fool... idiot? idiot means you have a thinking capacity of a two year old.

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Which - in their actually latest incarnations - are a notable advance on the Mac versions ;)

8. Queso macrumors G4

Maybe for the next six months, but then what?. I suppose we'll know for sure in October :p

9. BestBuyBoy macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

Look, if I drive a ford F150 when was the last time I got run off the road by a guy driving a Dodge Ram... Do you see the Ford guy getting flamed by the Dodge guy.. no, of course not.. You dont see Dodge guys standing around the gas pumps pointing fingers at the Ford guys and mocking them because they are idiots and dont know better... Please, people elect to buy an alternate product because product A isnt meeting thier needs... Apple does not make a product for everyone. I spent 1500.00 on parts to make a box that will render video fast. Unless the benchmarks are wrong, I should expect good resuklts fro using a quad core. If you want to argue this point, then write intel. Put the coolaid down and wake up... Apple is selling boxes with 12 to 18 month old technology and expecting consumers to pay top dollar for it.. pretty OS or not, you aint going to get me to pay 700 for a core duo..

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Somehow given the rather large Office 2003 / Office 2004 difference in favour of the former, I'm not hanging by tenterhooks.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i know i don't drink cool aid. please don't assume we all blindly follow apple. you're coming of just as condescending as many others. two wrongs don't make a right. and i have no idea what you're trying to prove with that example?

and my only other thing is, you couldn't have spend 1500 to make a 3k Mac since you can only get OS X on Apple systems.

12. Queso macrumors G4

I like what you've done there. Using the one model in the range that backs up the sentence before. Good job :cool:

Oh you and your Microsoft fanboyism :D

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's rather hard to be a fanboy when both products come from the same company :p

14. Queso macrumors G4

An excellent point. I shall now completely ditch Office and exclusively use NeoOffice just to spite you :D

15. CptnJustc macrumors 6502

I agree... but that's a pretty lousy analogy. After all, anybody who gets cookie dough instead of butter pecan just because it's cheaper is plain stupid. :D

16. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

As is comparing cigarette lighters between a Lexus and Mercedes to determine which is the better car :D

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

do they even include them as standard in cars anymore?

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

This thread is silly. I mean, I don't even smoke!

19. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Before I bought my first mac, I was afraid of having to figure out and adjust to a new operating system, after having devoted so much effort to figuring out Windows. It turns out I didn't need to worry, as OSX is pretty straightforward in its design. In fact, when using my mac, I often make it harder on myself by trying to do this or that the way I would on my peecee - unintentionally of course.

20. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

My 2005 Ford Focus came with no cigarrette lighter. It has an electrical outlet, but no lighter.

21. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

based on your 15 minutes vista experience, ur statement is beyond what u can draw from it.

and I m sorry you accuse millions of ppl making mistakes, I don't think you have that much base for that judgement.

PS. ur post is weird, if u don't like the other post, just follow that one and make your statement (or just keep silence since nobody was directly attacking you in that post anyway), is that so necessary to make this board into a battle field?

22. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Same with my Mustang. I dont see the big deal with these threads, I have been a Mac user for many years but I have never been able to afford top of the line hardware. I agree that the Mac Mini is due for an upgrade soon but who cares? if you dont want to buy outdated hardware then DONT. I also have a Dell E520 with Vista, I like the way Vista looks its not Mac OS X but I dont consider myself a fool for using it or having it run via bootcamp on my "out-dated" C2D iMac. These threads remind me of those new Hyndai ads on t.v comparing them to Land Rover and Lexus.

23. jng macrumors 65816

jng

LOL. Agreed.

Besides there has to be pros and cons to both. If Vista were so bad no one would buy it and people do (I did last weekend).

People (myself included) love to compare macs and PCs and say which one they would rather have over the other. Honestly, I think the best answer is to have both. Some people need both. If you're not one of them, that's fine. Just don't make a big fuss.

24. joachim macrumors member

My experience with Vista

I tried Vista for the first time two days ago at CompuSmart. It took a full minute just to log-in and for some reason, the cursor with the spinning circle would just not go away as if it's still loading a bunch of stuff in the process. The new look was just awful. Being a designer, I would have to say the user interface is just awful. Everything looks cluttered and coated in varnish.

Within ten minutes, two programs crashed. They were both Microsoft programs: Calendar and Internet Explorer.

I'm sorry, I'm sticking with XP (until I get my first Mac next month).

25. ready2switch macrumors 6502

ready2switch

Actually, I have seen that. Some people are fanatics about whatever product and have no sense to understand that freedom of choice is what makes the capitalistic market so great. :p