Beats Partners With Japanese Fashion Brand Sacai for New Beaded BeatsX Headphones [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 28, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple-owned Beats by Dre has partnered with Japanese luxury fashion brand Sacai to produce a new collection of BeatsX headphones. These models come with beaded cables that can be removed and customized to reflect unique patterns (via WatchGeneration).

[​IMG]

Beats won't be selling these headphones to the masses, however, and is currently planning to launch them at an exclusive pop-up shop in Paris on March 4. It's unclear if the company has any plans to roll out the BeatsX + Sacai collection to Apple retail locations or online.
    There are three colors in the collection: Silver Red, Absolute White, and Intense Black. Each BeatsX + Sacai model comes with a carrying pouch that has a Sacai logo, and they're priced at a premium of around $200, over $100 more than the price of normal BeatsX headphones, which can be purchased for around $80-$90 on sale.

[​IMG]

In a promo video shared on the Beats by Dre YouTube channel, Beats president Luke Wood said that the company was looking for a new partner who could reimagine its products with a different design and color. This led to Sacai's idea to incorporate beads onto BeatsX, creating a more fashion-first aesthetic for the in-ear headphones.

Beats is known for collaborating with a number of interesting and surprising brands, in the past including French luxury fashion house Balmain, designer Alexander Wang, and even Hello Kitty. Apple acquired Beats Electronics in 2014 for $3 billion, using the company's streaming service as a basis for what would become Apple Music in 2015.

Update: The beaded BeatsX headphones Apple created in partnership with Japanese fashion brand Sacai can be purchased from the Apple online store.

Article Link: Beats Partners With Japanese Fashion Brand Sacai for New Beaded BeatsX Headphones [Updated]

2. waqas macrumors member

waqas

Oh my god! No developments of beats itself. I wonder what’s Beats purpose for Apple. A fashion brand when they can’t resist urges to make stuff other than “minimalist” looking products.

3. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Terrible

what were they thinking?

BeatsX too? Time to move on from that one already

4. CalvinBroadus Suspended

CalvinBroadus

Never heard of the brand, and I consider myself a fashionista. Which means this collab isn't very good.

Also they look like those beaded necklaces that 1st graders make in art class. Yuck.

5. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

6. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

7. CalvinBroadus Suspended

CalvinBroadus

You might be on to something here.

8. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Aren't they going to improve the ****ing battery? Durability? Nothing?

They're doing the same **** with the over-ear line and frankly I think they jumped the shark with that one a long time ago - maybe with the Neymar Jr. edition.

Wake the **** up Apple.

9. torana355 macrumors 68040

10. Bray-dog macrumors newbie

Bray-dog

These look awful...like something that would be in the checkout line at Walmart.

11. axantas macrumors 6502

axantas

Fashion. Let it be that way then. Not really the segment in the market where I placed Apple for now.
    But it fits the gorgeous watchband collection...
    Maybe I might have a look at a computer brand for my next non-fashion computer.

12. citysnaps macrumors 601

Excellent! I can see these doing very well.

13. iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

Beats X is a great pair of headphones if you're into iOS. This is the only wireless headphones to come with Lightning charger, beside Apple's own AirPods. If you have iPhone and older iPad Pro, you can just bring one cable to charge them all.

And as side bonus, it sounds better than AirPods.

14. oldwatery macrumors 6502a

15. justiny Contributor

justiny

And stores like Best Buy will continue the Beats trend of marking these down 60% just to get rid of them later this fall.

16. cb3 macrumors regular

LOL You so crazy!

17. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Great option for pre-teen girls who like to bead their hair and bedazzle things and have money to burn.

18. morningsong macrumors regular

morningsong

19. Rustus Maximus macrumors 6502

Rustus Maximus

Pffftttt....my grandmother's been rocking this style for decades...

[​IMG]

20. jamezr macrumors G5

jamezr

I would love to have beaded BeatsX headphones!

Said no one ever........

21. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502a

OneBagTravel

22. subjonas macrumors 68000

I think those look silly, but I’d almost buy one if they would just fix that unbelievably awful power button that the current beatsx have. It irritates me daily how bad of a design it is. They really need to replace it a slider switch (like the iPhone mute button). Then I’d buy a new one in a heartbeat. I’d also like the battery life upped to 9-10 hours to get me through the work day including lunch.

23. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

lol Apple lost you because of a collaboration with a fashion brand on a pair of beats headphones?

24. lederermc macrumors 6502

lederermc

25. kyleh22, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019

kyleh22 macrumors 6502

kyleh22

oh man, that's bad. Perhaps they're trying to kill off the beats brand?