Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today marks the launch of Apple's new Beats Studio Buds wireless earbuds, with pre-orders beginning to arrive to customers and same-day pickup now available at select Apple Stores in the United States and Canada. Additional retailers like Best Buy, Target, and Walmart are also selling the earbuds, which come in white, black, and red.

beats-studio-buds-red.jpg

Priced at $149.99, the Beats Studio Buds feature a compact round design without any "stems" dropping below the ears. Like the AirPods Pro, the Beats Studio Buds feature active noise cancellation, and when you need to hear the world around you, you can switch to Transparency mode by pressing and holding the Beats logo button on either earbud.

Apple shared several new Beats Studio Buds support documents today:While the Beats Studio Buds support one-touch pairing for both Apple and Android devices via Bluetooth, they don't include Apple's H1 or W1 chip, so they're missing some AirPods features like automatic switching between Apple devices.

Other key features of the Beats Studio Buds include up to five hours of listening time per charge with active noise cancellation turned on, hands-free "Hey Siri" support, IPX4-rated sweat and water resistance, Find My support, and a USB-C charging case. To learn more about the Beats Studio Buds, make sure to read our in-depth hands-on review.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Best Buy, Target, and Walmart. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Beats Studio Buds Launch Today With Apple Store Pickup Now Available

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The move to more USC-C charging is getting weird. I just bought a Sony small speaker the other day, and it uses 'C', and it threw me for a loop. I have cables in my car for last minute charging of bike electronics on the way to a ride (lights, etc) and have the lightning and a USB mini cable, so not I need yet another cable? I thought the EU was going to make the industry standardize on *one* charging connection. *shrug* USB has gone through so many iterations...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Damn, I forgot about the wireless charging too.

Yeah, it's like the PowerBeats Pro issue all over again. They are expensive, they work generally well, and Apple already had wireless charging for quite some time, and they birth those without wireless charging, and called them 'Pro'. Yeah, no. Not when the lowly AirPods are sporting wireless charging. People expect more from 'pro level' goodies now. We're spoiled...

Wireless charging should be the bottom requirement for a 'Pro' suffix, or it's just not...

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
I would consider trying them, but without the H1chip, they are a no go for me. There will be no seamless connection between iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, etc.
This is what kills it for me too. I wanted a set to use with my work AppleID devices but if I can't seamlessly roam between devices then it's a nonstarter.

Jimczer

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2021
:cool:

So you trade wireless charging and an H1 for noise cancellation? Hmm... At that point, do they kinda compete more with the Pro's instead of the standard model?
My H1 connection is hardly seamless with my APP. I always seem to have to back to settings.
Me too. Thinking about picking one of these up as well.
I would consider trying them, but without the H1chip, they are a no go for me. There will be no seamless connection between iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, etc.
I can understand your concern about the H1 chip but is it really that big a deal because of the seamless connection? Are you doing it that often that it takes so much effort? Its not like your doing that every minute maybe a few times a day here an there. For me the sacrifice is worth getting rid of the stupid stem that always gets clipped and knocked out of my ear or the airpod pros simple just fall out. I have airpod Pros and stopped using them. I bought a pair of samsung live buds and the fit great but I will try the Beats until Airpods Pros goes stemless,,,the hell with the H1 thats not a big deal to me.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
My H1 connection is hardly seamless with my APP. I always seem to have to back to settings.

And after the updates last year, my PowerBeats Pro I use on my bike trainer, seem to want to connect to whatever they feel like connecting to, and whenever they feel like doing it. I've had the things connect to my TV, my iPad, my iPhone, my Apple TV, my iMac once, and all I wanted to do was listen to some music to ride with from my iPhone. It seems to have gotten better lately, but it was very frustrating. I threw one of the buds across the room, but it survived because I was so damn frustrated.

I tried, with some success, forgetting them, and re-pairing them, but it didn't work consistently.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I can understand your concern about the H1 chip but is it really that big a deal because of the seamless connection? Are you doing it that often that it takes so much effort? Its not like you're doing that every minute maybe a few times a day here and there. For me the sacrifice is worth getting rid of the stupid stem that always gets clipped and knocked out of my ear or the airpod pros simple just fall out. I have airpod Pros and stopped using them. I bought a pair of samsung live buds and they fit great, but I will try the Beats until Airpods Pros goes stemless. The hell with the H1, that's not a big deal to me.

Oh, 'stemless' is good. I forgot about that, even though I had to stop a ride to get off and pick up the bud my towel knocked out.

They seem a mixed bag. I'll wait them out. I've got enough buds of all kinds around here already.

Last edited:

Bswails

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
While not awkwardly named, not having an H1 chip, no spatial audio support, being only marginally less expensive than AirPods Pro, and having to fiddle a bit to get them to fit into the charging case means there are at least four factors in favor of AirPods Pro, right MacRumors bot? ;) :p
“Spatial audio” by way of the head tracking features you mean..they do offer Dolby atmos spatial audio..just not the head tracking..but I don’t think these headphones were designed to do all that anyway?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.