Before you switch to Android....

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by bboucher790, May 22, 2014.

1. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

Since iOS 7 has been introduced, lots of people state they're "going to Android" because they don't like the look of iOS 7.

My question is: If you hate iOS 7's look so much, why not just jailbreak to a theme that you like?

The whole "if you jailbreak, you're not on the most up-to-date OS" excuse is flawed. Unless you go vanilla Android, you're not getting the latest software updates instantly anyway. Other than security tweaks, the jailbreak community has a slew of features that would trounce any software update done by Apple.

I'm not saying jailbreaking is for everyone, but it's definitely a solution for those who constantly annoy others in these forums with "I hate how iOS 7 looks" threads. It's better than throwing in the towel.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Noble cause but Jailbroken iPhones have their own set of problems. Go look in the jailbreak sub-forum here.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not everyone wants to jailbreak for one reason or another (and plenty are valid reasons). Those that are willing to do it, might have other issues beyond just looks that a jailbreak won't resolve necessarily, and other issues can even be introduced by some jailbreak tweaks, even just simple theme ones. Furthermore, those with iOS 7.1 and above can't even jailbreak even if they wanted to.

4. bboucher790, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014

bboucher790 thread starter macrumors 65816

bboucher790

I installed SoftRemix icons and Bloard (black keyboard) on my iPhone 5 and my iPad Air. I ran both for a few weeks without a single issue and no battery loss.

I then started adding tweaks as needed, once I could assure device stability. My original tweaks get rid of an overly white theme (mostly) and I prefer the icon set of Soft Remix. The two issues I resolved are the two most common complaints I see here on the forums.

Jailbreaking can cause issues, this is a given. My point is that if you're really thinking of switching to Android because you don't like "icons" or the look of iOS 7, you can change it rather easily without switching to another platform.

The issues aren't "plenty". I can think of only a few. The big one is that you can't bring your iPhone to get it serviced while jailbroken. This could be a dealbreaker for many, but for myself and others it won't be. As stated above, if you install the two tweaks I mentioned, you should not experience many, if any problems compared to a vanilla install.

Personally, an Android phone presents a whole slew of problems compared to iOS, jailbroken or not.

5. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

I'm no Android fan, but can you elaborate please? My friends who have Nexus 5, or Moto X, or even Galaxy S-something or HTC one absolutely love it

6. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Although I agree with you about seeking alternative measures in changing iOS 7 with Jailbreaking. I have both my 5s & iPad Air jailbroken... I absolutely enjoy the jailbreaking community. They are helpful and the devs are constantly looking to improve on iOS 7.

But with all that being said, it's the fact that Android has one universal store where people go to get apps and customization. Having a jailbroken device comes with Cydia with tons of tweaks and customization that is awesome. But, there's definitely a need to monitor the firmware of the jailbroken device.

For instance, the mail encryption security issue and other various security issues that Apple pushes an update to fix the issues. Ryan Petrick was able to provide help for the jailbreaking community. But any average uninformed user would probably not be aware of it.

7. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

The only problem jailbreaking causes has nothing to do with the jailbreak its self. It has to do with what you install in which case just uninstall it if it has an issue which applies to android and pretty much every other os out there.

8. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I believe he's speaking on malware. That's primarily always any Apple user argument against Android devices. And the fact that every time there's a chance of installing an app.. they want so much personal information.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It doesn't always work that way. I have had both Bluetooth and music playback issues while jailbroken even when I did not install any tweaks associated with those 2 functions. Of course restoring to factory fixed it.

My point is a lot of users here complain about icons and colors. Imagine their level of complaints if a jailbreak tweak doesn't work. :eek:

10. CutterSlade macrumors regular

CutterSlade

Doing something that isn't officially supported to your phone isn't a solution. You can't do it with the latest version even if you wanted to anyway.

Also, I don't think that anyone would switch to Android just because of looks. But for additional functionality, they might (I did too).

However, Android has a whole different set of problems and bugs. It's really a matter of which ones bother you the most. For example I switched to an Android phone long time ago because iOS lacked several functions I wanted (call and sms blocking, proper multitasking and a file manager). Couldn't do the same thing for my tablet though because iPad is so much better than others. Only if it had a file manager...

11. RedWing512 macrumors member

Back when I had an iPhone, I absolutely hated jailbreaking. Personally, it was a pain in the butt to constantly keep up-to-date on the latest jailbreak and whether or not it worked with the latest iOS version.

To me, the beauty of Android is that it does not require a jailbreak to change anything. Just download it from the Play Store and go. The caveat is that because of this open nature, you're supposedly more vulnerable to malware and such, but the key to preventing a lot of it (if not all) is using common sense. :)

And I will add, one of the biggest reasons why I wanted to switch to Android is the fact that I like voting with my pocket—if there's something about the iPhone you don't like, why continue to line Apple's pockets? Otherwise, it's like putting lipstick on a pig. The easiest way to get something done is to hit them where it hurts. If they see that people are leaving because of an ugly design or they want bigger phones, they will change (iPhone 6 anybody?). It also helps that Android has improved immensely in recent years and is toe-to-toe with iOS in terms of features and design.

12. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

They can go to Android, Windows Phone or whatever lol.

People who don't like change deserve those OS and we won't miss them.

13. byke, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014

byke macrumors 6502a

byke

Good to know that Android offers the same FaceTime options as does Apple in in iOS 6

14. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

That does not make any sense. Switching platform is bigger change than from iOS 6 to iOS 7. Switching platform require some learning, sometimes to find equivalent apps, new sets of features need to get used to. I'd say, these switchers are the like changes. They just do not like the particular changes made by Apple, namely from iOS 6 to iOS 7.

15. cynics macrumors G3

I agree with this. iOS 6 to iOS 7 is a much easier change then any version of iOS to any version of Android albeit still not that difficult anyway.

16. bboucher790 thread starter macrumors 65816

bboucher790

Jailbreak :D

17. cynics macrumors G3

Is there a jailbreak for iOS 7.1.1? If not its a moot point.

18. I7guy macrumors G5

19. CutterSlade, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014

CutterSlade macrumors regular

CutterSlade

No. I guess they're waiting for iOS 8.0 to use the rest of the exploits they have found, if they have found any that is. I think that eventually jailbreaking might really become impossible.

----------

Even jailbreaking doesn't solve that problem :)

20. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

What we don't know is how many people switched to android after ios7 came out. But we do know that more people use Android than ever before, especially in comparison to iOS device sales.

21. CutterSlade macrumors regular

CutterSlade

I hated iOS 7 at first but after getting used to its UI now iOS 6.0 started to seem worse to me. Except when I'm using the notes app or iBooks.

22. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

don't forget music or calendar .... key components to the OS.

23. CutterSlade macrumors regular

CutterSlade

Yeah I forgot to mention the music player, but don't know about the calendar since I never use Apple's calendar.

24. I7guy macrumors G5

The exact number will likely never be known. Also not known is how many switched to apple from android for those who actually might like IOS 7.

Also some of the new crop of android devices are very nice and nobody knows how spec hounds switched just for the specs and if they would have done that anyway regardless of the version of IOS.

----------

All operating systems with native apps have their weak spots. For example, Windows 8.1, I'm getting used to it and like it more now that I'm using it. Tried the Win 8.1 notepad app and lo and behold; skeuomorphism rears it's head.

But I agree with the sentiment.

25. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Jailbreaking gets really annoying, because it's a constant chase. Also, if you want to reset your device, you still have to jailbreak it and load all the tweaks too.

It's a constant cat and mouse chase.

Also, most Apple users are not the modifying and tinkering type, they want everything done and decided for them.