Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Based on what seems to be a legitimate Geekbench benchmark of the iPhone 7 Plus, it appears Apple's larger-screened smartphone features 3GB RAM, as was rumored. In the list of details about the device, memory is listed as 2998MB, meaning it has 3GB RAM instead of 2GB RAM like the iPhone 6s Plus.

Prior to the announcement of the iPhone 7 Plus, rumors suggested it would have 3GB RAM because of the increased resource demands of the dual-camera system. The iPhone 7 features two 12-megapixel cameras, one that's the same as the wide-angle camera on the iPhone 7 and one telephoto camera.

iphone7plusram-800x391.jpg
iPhone 7 Plus benchmark​

When capturing a photo, images from both cameras are merged together via software so users can zoom in further, which is likely a system intensive process. Apple is also developing a depth-of-field effect that uses software and advanced machine learning techniques to highlight a person in a photograph while blurring the background, another process that's likely to require additional RAM.

Rumors suggest the smaller 4.7-inch iPhone 7 continues to feature 2GB RAM, and an iPhone 7 benchmark from earlier this week offers potential confirmation.

Screen-Shot-2016-09-06-at-12.37.15.jpg
iPhone 7 benchmark​

The processor data on the iPhone 7 benchmark was off, which initially called into question its legitimacy, but Geekbench doesn't yet accommodate the lower-power high-efficiency scores of the A10 Fusion chip, and Geekbench's John Poole believes it's possible there was a problem when calculating processor speed. If representative of an actual iPhone 7 device, the benchmark indicates 2GB RAM.

While the iPhone 7 also features an upgraded camera system, it does not require software processes for merging multiple images together, so higher amounts of RAM may not be necessary for optimal performance.

We won't have concrete confirmation on the amount of RAM in the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus until launch day, when multiple sites are likely to begin teardowns to see just what's inside.

Article Link: Benchmark Suggests iPhone 7 Plus Has 3GB RAM

d5aqoëp

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2016
3GB RAM is nothing to get excited about. Androids are soon moving from 6GB to 8GB.

Don't give me the bullcrap that ohh iOS is teh mozt optimizzzed OS.

I believe they have still tried to be a miser and given just 3 instead of 4.

Reminds me of budget Androids with 750 MB or 1.5 GB odd figured RAM sizes.

Reactions: SBlue1 and g75d3
Comment

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
3GB RAM is nothing to get excited about. Androids are soon moving from 6GB to 8GB.

Comparing it to previous Apple hardware it is. At least IMO. They just gave us 2gb with the 6s series and have now increased it again. And I can hardly call the 6s plus a slouch. I love this phone (it's been so good to me I see no reason to upgrade this year).

Comparing raw specs is and has long been pointless IMO. It's what the OS does with them that matters. I don't mind less ram in a device that still performs incredibly well.

It may be worth mentioning I also use android for work so this isn't at all one sided. I'm very curious what obvious ways that extra gig is utilized here though. Wondering if the camera has to do with any of it.

Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011

I wasn't aware this was a who has the biggest you-know-what contest.

Comment

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
3GB? Should have been 4GB.
Bare minimum these days with Apple.
Too bad the prices aren't bare minimum.

Reactions: deaglecat
Comment

mtcowdog

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
2gb in the 7 is probably more than good enough -- iPad Pro 9.7 is 2GB -- and 3GB on the plus is really nice, specially if a lot of us are enticed in 12 months by the 10th anniversary iPhone, assuming Apple leverages their capacity and opportunity to make a big splash. That remains to be seen.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3
Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

Sorry, but it's true: Android is very inefficient--and the extra RAM it needs burns battery too. Both Java and the way Android apps are handled in the background are problems. And search for "garbage collection."

For reference:

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-iPhone-need-so-much-less-RAM-than-Android-devices

http://www.cultofmac.com/303223/ios-twice-memory-efficient-android-heres/

Comment

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I wasn't aware this was a who has the biggest you-know-what contest.

"Yeah, well my Android phone has twice the RAM your iPhone does! And it's still more laggy!"

Funny how way back when, Android fans used to boast about the benchmarks. Now after Apple's in-house designs are thoroughly spanking the unoptimised Android OS and generic Snapdragon CPUs, both in real-world performance and in benchmarks, they boast about the number of cores and the amount of RAM.

Throwing more and more specs at an OS to try and get it running at a comparative level to iOS is ultimately self-defeating. It doesn't address the underlying issue. It doesn't fix anything. It's desperate and it's short-sighted.

Apple have been playing the long game since the iPhone 4 – and bugger me, it's paying off.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.