Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mandis

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
UK
great i just spent $500 on the exact same iPad i already have. man apple is starting to suck with these incremental updates!

Its easy to get away with on computers, but on disposable mobile Tech, you really need to beat yourself when releasing something new!

I know that they lost the performance crown a while back but putting the new ipad side by side to the old transformer prime really shows how bad things are.

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/compare/577328/577608

I suspect they will upgrade the ipad in September with an ARM A15 based quad core. or not...

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
But the extra RAM will be nice, considering a lot of websites won't have 2x resolution images for a while...
Nonsense. Websites don't have to be updated because you have more resolution on your screen...

great i just spent $500 on the exact same iPad i already have. man apple is starting to suck with these incremental updates!

Its easy to get away with on computers, but on disposable mobile Tech, you really need to beat yourself when releasing something new!
Dear Lord! Isn't 4 times more the amount of pixels, Quad Core GPU, double the RAM and LTE enough for this to be considered a good upgrade? Don't expect a revolution every time Apple comes up with a new version of the iPad every year, just the way you shouldn't with a new version of a Macbook.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I remember when the iPad 2 came out, and how many people said they wouldn't upgrade unless it had the Retina display. Now it has the Retina display and they won't upgrade till it has a Quad-core.

Whatever.

A better question is: does the GPU upgrade suffice to power the increased resolution and consequent impact on bitmap size/overall page loads?

Because if it doesn't, we will be seeing just the same performance as the iPad 2 with a nicer-looking screen...the same for the battery, which increased massively in size just to retain the same performance.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
iPad 3 GLBenchmark info available!

iPad 3 GLBenchmark: link.
iPad 2 GLBenchmark: link.

GLBenchmark 2.1 Egypt 720p: iPad 3 140 FPS, iPad 2 90 FPS
GLBenchmark 2.1 Pro 720: iPad 3 250 FPS, iPad 2 150 FPS

:D

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
I remember when the iPad 2 came out, and how many people said they wouldn't upgrade unless it had the Retina display. Now it has the Retina display and they won't upgrade till it has a Quad-core.

Whatever.

And I for are upgrading because I don't have one period, from the iPad 2 hands on use, I feel that its CPU performance was ideal, snappy and smooth, I think with the additional of the extra ram it will serve me well. They upped the GPU because it would require it with the higher res. Whether or not it's just a iPad 2 with a higher screen and a GPU to match that, I think for the non iPad owners and iPad 1 owners it's a definite worth while purchase.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Why there is 8 megapixel cameras on every tablet out there?
What is the point, nobody shoots videos or photos with tablets
Put more storage or battery instead of some useless cameras

Even with a phone it is quite difficult shoot videos, compared to real video cams but with a monster size phone a.k.a tablet?

Why do you CARE?!

You're sitting on a bus, casually browsing some anime comics, when the person opposite falls asleep. You see a sharp bend approaching in the road. You then quickly switch to the camera app on your iPad/tablet, press record, a week later you have a few hundred thousand YouTube hits.

In this hypothetical situation, a camera on a tablet is ideal, as it would be inconvenient to set aside your tablet, in order to reach for a phone in your pocket, which would then cause you to miss the humorous escapades that follow.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England

So why did you rush to buy it? Why not wait for the comparison reviews?

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL

Aside from the 3Mp display and 4G LTE radio. Nothing major there :rolleyes:

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
You're right, they silk screened a "X" after "A5".

There is a reason it isnt called iPad 3
It's because they are dropping the suffix numbers - just like the Mackbook, iMac, iPod Touch, etc. I bet they are doing the same with the new iPhone.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
A better question is: does the GPU upgrade suffice to power the increased resolution and consequent impact on bitmap size/overall page loads?

Because if it doesn't, we will be seeing just the same performance as the iPad 2 with a nicer-looking screen...the same for the battery, which increased massively in size just to retain the same performance.

Since when is massively measured at less than 1mm thicker? Common man its .7mm thicker thats the thickness of a retractable pencil lead.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Why there is 8 megapixel cameras on every tablet out there?
What is the point, nobody shoots videos or photos with tablets
Put more storage or battery instead of some useless cameras

Even with a phone it is quite difficult shoot videos, compared to real video cams but with a monster size phone a.k.a tablet?

You are quite wrong on this one. I have resisted getting an iPad until now because my iPhone + Air accomplishes most of what I need. Video is the primary reason I'm considering an iPad now.

My daughter plays club volleyball and we are at large tournaments on most weekends. In the last few months, I've noticed a rapid increase in the number of folks using iPads for videoing games. I thought it was stupid at first, but after talking to them I'm discovering that I was wrong. The beauty of the iPad is that you can prop it in your lap sitting court side and get very clean video without holding anything up in the air or messing with a tripod. The screen is big enough that you can glance down and see that you are composing the shot correctly. The folks doing it love it. And of course, you have the added benefit of being able to replay on the large screen, and edit if you wish. At the last tournament, I actually saw a few people with iPads mounted on tripods with a special adapter. With the bump in the iPad 3 to 1080p and added image stabilization, this is only going to get more common.

ChrisNM

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
This is why it makes more sense to buy every second or third generation, that way you'll appreciate the upgrade more.

You're absolutely right. I had an iPhone 3GS, didn't upgrade to a 4 (and missed the whole antenna-gate debacle), then upgraded to a 4S.

Same with the iPad. Bought the first generation, didn't upgrade to the 2, now I am upgrading to the 3.

I don't get that hung up on specifications. I'm not that tech savvy - as long as it does everything I need, I'm happy.

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
It's because they are dropping the suffix numbers - just like the Mackbook, iMac, iPod Touch, etc. I bet they are doing the same with the new iPhone.

I think that the names were just for marketing honestly. The devices never had those names printed on them, always just "iPhone" or "iPad". The only distinguishing mark has been storage size.

EDIT: Plus there's the fact that iOS doesn't even use the publicized names internally.

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
CPU speed bumps weren't going to sell more iPads. A faster processor with lower batter life definitely wasn't going to sell more iPads. Retina display will sell more iPads. It's pretty simple - Apple is delivering what customers value most.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
one year old CPU! Wow, just wow. Guess that balances out the higher screen cost.

My iPad 2 will stay fast enough for a couple more years.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Since when is massively measured at less than 1mm thicker? Common man its .7mm thicker thats the thickness of a retractable pencil lead.

Sorry, I actually meant a massive increase in power just to retain the same performance...even though the size increase is not negligible either (ifixit will probably show how much bigger the battery is now).

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
CPU speed bumps weren't going to sell more iPads. A faster processor with lower batter life definitely wasn't going to sell more iPads. Retina display will sell more iPads. It's pretty simple - Apple is delivering what customers value most.

That's my take on this too. Most people outside of the geek world don't really care what the specs are, so long as the device is responsive, reliable and easy to use, which the iPad is. The extent the average consumer tends care about in terms of specs in my experience is how long till their purchase becomes obsolete with a new model.

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
You are quite wrong on this one. I have resisted getting an iPad until now because my iPhone + Air accomplishes most of what I need. Video is the primary reason I'm considering an iPad now.

My daughter plays club volleyball and we are at large tournaments on most weekends. In the last few months, I've noticed a rapid increase in the number of folks using iPads for videoing games. I thought it was stupid at first, but after talking to them I'm discovering that I was wrong. The beauty of the iPad is that you can prop it in your lap sitting court side and get very clean video without holding anything up in the air or messing with a tripod. The screen is big enough that you can glance down and see that you are composing the shot correctly. The folks doing it love it. And of course, you have the added benefit of being able to replay on the large screen, and edit if you wish. At the last tournament, I actually saw a few people with iPads mounted on tripods with a special adapter. With the bump in the iPad 3 to 1080p and added image stabilization, this is only going to get more common.
It really is fantastic having such a massive "viewfinder" for recording video. The reason I don't use my iPad 2 for video is because the camera is poor compared to the 4S, not because there is some inherent problem with the form factor. I agree that we will see more and more of this.

Jordom115

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2005
Albany, NY

If you have an iPad 2 and decided to buy the new iPad before knowing the detailed specs, please don't complain about it.

You now have two iPads, you can easily sell the iPad 2 for a decent price, or you could give it to someone you love who will surely appreciate it more than you do. Worst case scenario you can still cancel your order.

Best idea: Maybe all the iPad 2 owers complaining that there was not a big enough upgrade could donate their iPad 2s to Foxconn employees who painstakingly build them by hand for 12 hours or more a day but rarely even get to see or use the working product, let alone own one.

Us consumers need to start looking at the real cost of our insatiable demand for constant upgrades. Technology is moving ahead, and that is surely a positive thing, but what about sustainability and fair labor? If the iPad was made the USA, it would cost thousands of dollars.

Please just stop with all the complaints. If you can afford a new iPad like me, do yourself a favor and try not to take for granted how lucky you really are. Consider the world we all live in, and share.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I am not saying it's a big deal the lack of a CPU increase. However, if you plan to use a device 3 years or so a not improved CPU means a shorter useful lifespan on a device (no different than a normal computer) as software requirements go up over the years.

So I agree, CPU not being improved doesn't really matter right now. In 2 years from now you WILL wish they had at least given you a 1 year newer CPU. LOL, guess that's one way to keep sales going :p

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
one year old CPU! Wow, just wow. Guess that balances out the higher screen cost.

My iPad 2 will stay fast enough for a couple more years.

Actually this is a really good point I hadn't thought of. This should signal longer support for the iPad 2, since from a processing power perspective it is on equal footing with the new iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.