Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

julianf1972

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2024
Hi all, bit of a newbie here as have come from a 2011 iMac, but I've got a Mac Mini M2 Pro on its way to and was looking at monitors. Unfortunately price is a consideration so no Apple Display for me. I have a Dell P2319H from work at home which I believe is 1080p so could utilise that, but have just seen a BenQ QHD 27" in the sale. I've read a lot about the text appearance issue on 1440 screens but it seems not everyone experiences this. The BenQ is the EX2710Q. I wondered if anyone had experience of using this type of monitor and if it's suitable? My primary task is photo editing and some video.

Many thanks.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I have a BenQ display and I'm happy with it.

Which tells you that it's fine for me, but nothing about how it'll be for you.

Displays are a very personal thing... some people get headaches with anything under 4k, others are fine with a 27" 1080p. You really need to see the display for yourself, to form your own opinion.

Reactions: Paul Deemer

julianf1972

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2024

Displays are a very personal thing... some people get headaches with anything under 4k, others are fine with a 27" 1080p. You really need to see the display for yourself, to form your own opinion.
Thanks for the reply. What resolution is your BenQ?

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

This is a great point. I "downgraded" my gaming monitors to LG 27" 4k monitors that are only 60Hz, because I would rather have that and the extra sharpness in Mac and lose the extra Hz gaming in Windows...

But I don't exactly competitively game either...just Teamfight Tactics, BG3, a little Apex.

julianf1972

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2024
This is a great point. I "downgraded" my gaming monitors to LG 27" 4k monitors that are only 60Hz, because I would rather have that and the extra sharpness in Mac and lose the extra Hz gaming in Windows...

But I don't exactly competitively game either...just Teamfight Tactics, BG3, a little Apex.
This would purely be as a monitor for the Mac Mini.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
This would purely be as a monitor for the Mac Mini.
Given your usage, I got the following monitor for my wife (professional photographer). It's only 1440p as she is in Windows where the sharpness matters less:

ASUS Pro Art 27" 1440p Monitor:

If I were exclusively using Mac, I might fork over the extra cash for the same monitor, but 4k:

But, as always, do your research. :) The Benq displays might have good color calibration as well--it does have a higher refresh rate of 165Hz as opposed to 60Hz.

Last edited:

julianf1972

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2024
Thanks very much, I'll have a look at that.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Have been using a 32" BenQ DesignView QHD screen since 2020 on a 2018 (Intel) Mini. Still very happy with it for my own needs. I believe everything would be a bit small for my taste on a 27" QHD screen unless it was set for a scaled resolution. I wanted to use the native resolution because the UHD 630 graphics on the 2018 Mini are not good at scaled resolutions, but that shouldn't be an issue on the Apple Silicon Mini's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.