Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
You've made an assumption that this is happening in, as you say it, super tight skinny jeans. I see no reason to make that assumption. In fact, some people go as far as saying this isn't the case yet people still claim it's their fault.

Well my skinny-jeans sarcasm aside, you assume that every bent iPhone case is NOT the owner's fault. The simple fact of the matter is that the whole bent iPhone phenomenon is still isolated to a very small percentage of iPhone owners and is not by any means an epidemic.

I just find it slightly preposterous that there are people here stating that, without a doubt, this is user error and that the user is and should be at fault and that they should be responsible for replacement costs.

This is no preposterous at all. If I drop my pone and the screen shatters, should I blame apple and demand they replace it for free because the glass is too fragile? So how is this any different than putting a stress on the phone that causes it to bend? It's absolutely a user error and they should be held responsible. This is the biggest problem with sentiments of product quality these days. People began complaining the good people at Bumbo for their child falling out of Bumbo seat and injuring themselves because the parent set them in a place that they shouldn't have, like on a countertop... The solution? Mass complaints until the company caved and did a recall. Was it Bumbo's fault? no. They shouldn't have used the seat incorrectly. Period.

I've seen from your posts that you believe that most of the bent phones should be blamed on apple. This is just plain ludicrous. It's as if a guy accidentally runs into a shopping cart with his car, it scratches the paint, and he blames the car manufacturer for shoddy paintwork because the car SHOULD have withstood a 1 mph tap into a shopping cart.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Well my skinny-jeans sarcasm aside, you assume that every bent iPhone case is NOT the owner's fault. The simple fact of the matter is that the whole bent iPhone phenomenon is still isolated to a very small percentage of iPhone owners and is not by any means an epidemic.

This is no preposterous at all. If I drop my pone and the screen shatters, should I blame apple and demand they replace it for free because the glass is too fragile? So how is this any different than putting a stress on the phone that causes it to bend? It's absolutely a user error and they should be held responsible. This is the biggest problem with sentiments of product quality these days. People began complaining the good people at Bumbo for their child falling out of Bumbo seat and injuring themselves because the parent set them in a place that they shouldn't have, like on a countertop... The solution? Mass complaints until the company caved and did a recall. Was it Bumbo's fault? no. They shouldn't have used the seat incorrectly. Period.

I've seen from your posts that you believe that most of the bent phones should be blamed on apple. This is just plain ludicrous. It's as if a guy accidentally runs into a shopping cart with his car, it scratches the paint, and he blames the car manufacturer for shoddy paintwork because the car SHOULD have withstood a 1 mph tap into a shopping cart.

You are forgetting that MANY people have been putting their phones in their pockets for YEARS. What do you do with one aside from a belt clip? Apple is all about USER EXPERIENCE and makes alot of decisions based on how user USE their phone. Apple should have taken this into consideration before designing a phone that is prone to bending.

There really is no way to argue this. Sitting on your phone is unreasonable, but putting it in your pocket shouldnt result in a BENT phone. End of story.

"You are wearing it wrong" Please...

EDIT:
Perhaps Apple should have a sit down and explain to us how we may wear their new iPhone? Or they could just design the phone to be strong ENOUGH for some funny guy with skinny jeans to safely put phone in his funny pants.
1-No skinny jeans...Check
2-No riding your bicycle...Check
3-ect.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Well my skinny-jeans sarcasm aside, you assume that every bent iPhone case is NOT the owner's fault.

I am not assuming any such thing. This guy clearly said he never dropped it, didn't crash his bike, did nothing out of the ordinary. I am basing my judgement only on what he said here, and in other thread. Why would I go assuming otherwise? If a person says "I dropped it and here is what it now looks like", sure, it's a result of that person's negligence. This and various other threads made statements about the phone being bent in a pocket during standard daily activity (in this case riding a bike). Again, no assumptions on my end are being made outside of the fact that I assume what people write in their original post is the truth.

Again, you are making poor comparisons here, and essentially putting words in my mouth. I am talking ONLY about phones that are coming out of a person's pocket bent without any sort of collisions, accident, etc. This, and other cases I have read, is not a case of a person crashing into anything. They rode their bike to a friend's house and it came out of their pocket bent. Your examples of a shopping cart rolling into a car door make no sense whatsoever... What would be an ACTUAL comparison, if you want one, is a car's paint peeling off because they are going perhaps faster than the posted speed limit.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
You are forgetting that MANY people have been putting their phones in their pockets for YEARS. What do you do with one aside from a belt clip? Apple is all about USER EXPERIENCE and makes alot of decisions based on how user USE their phone. Apple should have taken this into consideration before designing a phone that is prone to bending.

There really is no way to argue this. Sitting on your phone is unreasonable, but putting it in your pocket shouldnt result in a BENT phone. End of story.

EDIT:
Perhaps Apple should have a sit down and explain to us how we may wear their new iPhone? Or they could just design the phone to be strong ENOUGH for some funny guy with skinny jeans to safely put phone in his funny pants.
3-ect.
So why does this bending issue not occur with every user? I wear skinny jeans, ride a bicycle, kneel down at work, put my phone in a dock in my car, and I've not encountered this with my last 2 iP5's. I think if Apple did a customer satisfaction survey and found that the majority of owners don't actually bend our iPhones, maybe they should not sell them to careless people or those demanding answers for their own stupidity in future.

It's always somebody else's fault eh?

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
So why does this bending issue not occur with every user? I wear skinny jeans, ride a bicycle, kneel down at work, put my phone in a dock in my car, and I've not encountered this with my last 2 iP5's. I think if Apple did a customer satisfaction survey and found that the majority of owners don't actually bend our iPhones, maybe they should not sell them to careless people or those demanding answers for their own stupidity in future.

So because you never had any trouble, everyone else that did is wrong? Thats pretty sketch of you. :rolleyes:

I can just imagine what its like to have to live/work/breath next to you.:eek:

Maybe you just wear your pants a bit oddly? ;-)

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Hey guys:

I dropped my iPhone 5 out of an airplane yesterday. When I found it (go findmyiphone!), it was literally destroyed.

It was in a case, so my only conclusion is: THE WIND DID IT!

Can you believe the wind destroyed an iPhone!?!?! I know it was really windy falling out of a plane and all, but come on right!?

My wife seems to think it was UNRELATED to the wind, and that it had more to do with me sitting on it the whole way to the airfield while riding my bike (well, that and falling out of a plane), but I am 100% conviced it had nothing to do with that at all and was 100% the winds fault. I know it shifts all of the responsibility off of me, but this is 'Merica, where that's how everything works. Besides, it could NEVER have been my fault anyway.

Stoopid wind. Destroyed my phone. Darn you wind!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

I mentioned this before, but there very well may be manufacturing variants that one simply cannot see by looking at the outside of the phone. That is one possible answer why everyone hasn't had the problem. I also do the same as you (though I have on a case) and have never bent my phone. But I am not arrogant enough to say "It's not an issue for me, therefor it can't be an issue for anyone."

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Bent iPhone 5!

I mentioned this before, but there very well may be manufacturing variants that one simply cannot see by looking at the outside of the phone. That is one possible answer why everyone hasn't had the problem. I also do the same as you (though I have on a case) and have never bent my phone. But I am not arrogant enough to say "It's not an issue for me, therefor it can't be an issue for anyone."
I'm not 'arrogant' about it either.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm not 'arrogant' about it either.

You must not understand the definition of arrogance. Here you go. Arrogance - an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions.

You are assuming that since you don't have the problem under normal operating conditions, nobody will. And you take it further by implying this bending must be only a result of "stupidity and carelessness" of the end user. Fits the definition to a T, based on the post I quoted.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
You must not understand the definition of arrogance. Here you go. Arrogance - an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions.

You are assuming that since you don't have the problem under normal operating conditions, nobody will. Fits the definition to a T, based on the post I quoted.
I'd rather a different word was used as being called arrogant seems offensive to me. You could apply the word arrogant to just about any differing opinion on here, but its likely to be taken as an insult in many cases. I addressed the possibility that a manufacturing fault could be to blame earlier today. I think you were involved in that discussion.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'd rather a different word was used as being called arrogant seems offensive to me. You could apply the word arrogant to just about any differing opinion on here, but its likely to be taken as an insult in many cases. I addressed the possibility that a manufacturing fault could be to blame earlier today. I think you were involved in that discussion.

I used a dictionary definition of the term that completely fit your statement. Sorry if that hurt your feelings. If you believe it could be a manufacturing issue, great. Now you're simply contradicting yourself. I hope saying you contradicted yourself is taken with less offense.

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
I was in a mall checking email on my 5 while standing. Suddenly i saw this really cute girl from afar so i put my phone inside my cotton pants to enjoy the sight. Daym she was so hot i even got a boner, i couldn't take my eyes off her until she passed me and then at last my boner calmed down. After that, i picked my phone again to continue and FFS it got bent. Yeah i think it's because of mah boner....

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010

EDIT:
3-ect.

Where in my entire post did I say that it was wrong to put it in your pocket. I put mine in my front left pocket all of the time. I also agree that it's unreasonable to bend a phone by merely putting it in your pocket. That's not the case though is it? If it was, there would be a HUGE outcry. This is isolated to a few people that have had problems with a bent phone that claim that it 'mysteriously' bent and they aren't responsible. Sorry. Not buying it.

I didn't say "you are wearing it wrong."

I'm simply saying that if you own a product, and you caused it to bend, you should be responsible, NOT the company... unless it's a widespread problem due to manufacturing defects. If there's any proof of manufacturing defects, I'll gladly concede my case, but as of yet... it's isolated to a few events.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011

Soooo, unless the problem happens to everyone, it can't be a manufacturer issue? Love the logic.

Apple acknowledged wifi issues on the new MBA. Based on your logic, this was unnecessary since not everyone has wifi issues, which means it must be the end users fault.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Soooo, unless the problem happens to everyone, it can't be a manufacturer issue? Love the logic.

Apple acknowledged wifi issues on the new MBA. Based on your logic, this was unnecessary since not everyone has wifi issues, which means it must be the end users fault.
Fair enough, i'll retire this topic, I've made my point and cleared up what I wished.

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
never dropped it, didn't crash his bike, did nothing out of the ordinary. I am basing my judgement only on what he said here, and in other thread. Why would I go assuming otherwise? If a person says "I dropped it and here is what it now looks like", sure, it's a result of that person's negligence. This and various other threads made statements about the phone being bent in a pocket during standard daily activity (in this case riding a bike). Again, no assumptions on my end are being made outside of the fact that I assume what people write in their original post is the truth.

This is where you and I differ. Does the phrase "I swear officer, I never knew I was <insert heartbreaking lie here>" sound familiar. The problem that I see is that this is NOT a huge widespread issue, so the people that have had this issue come about are claiming ignorance to how it happened. And they may truly not know how it happened. But you can't go around blaming other people for your mistake. It's basic physics, if you put too much pressure on an object, it will flex past it's rebound point and become permanently deformed. It doesn't have to be dropped, or be in a crash, or have an accident. You can simply put your body weight on it by leaning across a table and have it bend across the corner. That's not an accident, it's normal behavior. If put 100+ pounds on phone that's pressed against the edge of a table, and boom. It's bent.

Again, you are making poor comparisons here, and essentially putting words in my mouth.

I certainly didn't mean to put words in your mouth and I'm sorry that you felt that was the case.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This is where you and I differ. Does the phrase "I swear officer, I never knew I was <insert heartbreaking lie here>" sound familiar. The problem that I see is that this is NOT a huge widespread issue, so the people that have had this issue come about are claiming ignorance to how it happened. And they may truly not know how it happened. But you can't go around blaming other people for your mistake. It's basic physics, if you put too much pressure on an object, it will flex past it's rebound point and become permanently deformed. It doesn't have to be dropped, or be in a crash, or have an accident. You can simply put your body weight on it by leaning across a table and have it bend across the corner. That's not an accident, it's normal behavior. If put 100+ pounds on phone that's pressed against the edge of a table, and boom. It's bent.

I certainly didn't mean to put words in your mouth and I'm sorry that you felt that was the case.

If you choose to believe that people on this forum are lying, where they have zero incentive to lie, that is your own prerogative. I understand your analogy, but lying to a cop to save your butt from going to jail versus lying on a forum where you voluntarily offer information about what happened to your phone are night and day differences in my book.

I realize basic physics dictates that applying too much pressure on an object will bend/break it. I also realize that these phones aren't spontaneously bending. What I am saying is that they should not be bending in a person's pocket, skinny jeans or not. I would argue that a phone in your pocket while bike riding is a pretty standard use, not abuse, misuse or neglect, of the product.

But in any case one thing we can agree on, the two of us obviously have very different views of the world and our fellow human beings.

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012

Lets say that I've had each and every iPhone since the first one. And have been doing this exact maneuver that you describe every day with my previous phones, with no resulting damage. Along comes the iPhone 5. I do the same thing. Should I need to have different expectations of what the phone should physically be able to handle? Wouldn't it be more logical to expect the same level of day to day durability?

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Should I need to have different expectations of what the phone should physically be able to handle? Wouldn't it be more logical to expect the same level of day to day durability?

That's the question isn't it. I would say yes and no. No simply because we are used to using our phones a certain way and we are conditioned to do so for the next phone, and the next etc... Yes, simply because when I first picked up the iP5, it was noticeably lighter and thinner and made me realize that it's most likely not as durable. When electronics get lighter and thinner, they become inherently more fragile (Remember the old chunky flip phones versus the motorola razor?)

That being said, I still stand by the fact that if you broke it, you pay for it.

BMNEUR

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2013
Louisville
I'd get that looked into at with a Genius Bar appointment. Were you a launch day customer with no prior replacements?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.