Best bittorent client for Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by asdfTT123, Nov 8, 2007.

1. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

I'm wondering since I've been a Windows user all my life. I use uTorrent (mu Torrent) on Windows and I was wondering if there is any similar client for OS X. I prefer a small, fast, and clean client over those that have flashy and memory hogging features such as Azureus...could someone help me out?

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Personally I use Transmission because its all the things you described. Even less fancy is Tomato though I don't seem to get very good speeds with that. I occasionally use Azureus, but as you said its a bit of a system hog.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

transmission is the best "native" OS X bittorrent client hands down. its simple, gets the job done and the recent updates now allow you create torrents and use selective downloading plus some others useful things.

azureus is OK and has a lot of good features but its written in java and not cocoa which makes it SLOW and a HOG.

transmission has an bug atm where it wont let you upload + seed. so i now use utorrent inside parallels which seems to work very well with parallels' folder sharing.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

That's exactly what i've been doing. Except whenever I connect a device (mouse, iPod, memory stick etc.), parallels asks me if i want it to connect it to XP. I won't notice it since parallel is normally hidden, but that simple dialog maxes out an entire core.

5. ke2000 macrumors member

Depend what suits you, Tomato torrent is light weight yet useful. The powerful is java based Azureus. Personally I don't use Tranmission as it is unlikely to reach peak downloading speed (compare to others once).

6. H4L macrumors member

H4L

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you sure about this? i can reach my max download speed of 1.2 mbits in transmission, azureus and utorrent. im pretty sure that most mac bittorrent trackers a very good and downloading from peers at good speeds. for the most part the main things a user looks for in a mac bittorrent client is the UI, the features, how it uses resources and if its intel, power pc or univeral binary.

8. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

A big vote for transmission here. Great little app

9. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

+1 for Transmission.

Fantastic app. New updates fixed all problems and it runs flawlessly and quietly.

10. TheStu macrumors 65816

Put another vote in for Transmission. Now I just need to find its like in the Windows world. I mean, we already have Pidgin which is basically a fraternal twin of Adium (in terms of looks and features), and Handbrake is multi-platform... so where is my WinTransmission?

11. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

12. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

transmission, or dare I say, vmware and utorrent, but only on occasion, if I need to use windows for something else (sopcast)

13. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Transmission on my MBP, uTorrent on the old Windows box.

14. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Not XTorrent. I bought it, and only then figured out that it can't get decent speeds. After 10 minutes of building connections, Xtorrent got 12kb/s and Azureus got 150kb/s on a popular download with lots of seeds, but both of them had around the same number of connections. I asked Dave Watanabe, the creater, for my money back, and he gave me this rant about how paying for software is voluntary and the site says sales are final. I know he's right, but that's just lousy customer service.

15. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

david wantanabe is notorious for being a tool. never send him an email and dont even try and get your money back. BUT his apps have a very good graphical interface i can tell you that right now.

16. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Yeah, I told him I wanted my money back because his 1.1 software should still be at 0.9 or beta or something since it barely works. The interface is nice, thats why I switched to it from ugly ass azureus, but I didn't pay for pretty. I even told him I'd re-buy the software when he makes the download algorithm or whatever work better, but he wouldn't have it. He put me on his AIM ignore list after about 3 minutes of civil conversation. What a jerk.

17. dugs022 macrumors newbie

18. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

My vote is "Bits on Wheels". Just gotta love the 3D wheel effects of your peers. :cool: A little flashy, but no hoggy (did I say that).

[​IMG]
    Click on image to visit BoW website.

19. roybfr macrumors member

20. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

+1 for Transmission, -1 for XTorrent. XTorrent and Acquisition both look great, but their functionality is seriously lacking in some parts.

21. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

I love Transmission, especially since they've added encrytion, but I just an't get the same speeds that I can get w/ Azureus. Plus there are some private sites that won't connect to Transmission...

22. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

transmission is great, but put it on its own computer, or use it when you are not busy, because it really slows you down.

XTorrent in terms of downloads is not as fast, but i use it because it has a great feature set, it can get really fast at times, but not all the time. but what I really like is the great search and organization features, intigration with itunes, and its not a memory hog.

23. Deerhunter04 macrumors member

I too vote for Transmission. It has to be the best bittorrnet app out there.

24. TAV macrumors regular