Best Buy iP7/7+ Models are Subject to the US Reseller Flex Policy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JulesJam, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Shreeaunsh macrumors newbie

Shreeaunsh

No they didn't say anything , it was just "unlocked by Verizon " and I didn't even get any sim with it... So my thought its unlocked , and for airport issues she had to put sim card in it

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

The fact that people who buy the phones outright for their full price can even end up in situation where they are locked is rather ridiculous.

3. Shreeaunsh macrumors newbie

Shreeaunsh

Problem is no matter how much I mail them.. Unless and until many people ask them they won't take it under consideration...only the people who are suffering are mailing them.. Rest people should also stand behind and support

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Unfortunately it's more like unless and until there's regulation around that which would actually be enforced.

5. Shreeaunsh macrumors newbie

Shreeaunsh

In some countries where I phone costs a fortune like India ... Minimum wages are 5k and phone costs 70k m not saying m in minimum wages but it still costs fortune for me too...
    To make it enforceable ... Many people should consider mailing concern people about it.. Then they'll at least think about it..its unfair I feel paying in full and even then not able to use the phone

6. Shreeaunsh macrumors newbie

Shreeaunsh

Thanks Guys for all your help , i was able to unlock it .. and it was pretty simple actually....
    i just logged into iTunes and turned find my iPhone off , factory reset ...and done. now m able to use it with my local carriers as well

7. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Did you not have to contact T-Mobile? This is very interesting if not...

8. Shreeaunsh macrumors newbie

Shreeaunsh

nop !i just thought of trying and it worked !!

9. harrychang macrumors newbie

which one of the stores (bb, target, walmart) will allow me to purchase an iphone 7 in-store under att payment plan unactivated? i know if purchasing online you can get the phone shipped unactivated. however, i want to take advantage of the instore GC they are giving during BF. that way i can have an unlocked iphone while still being under installment

10. Taisiya macrumors regular

I assume that since I'm using my Verizon upgrade(2-year contract price) to purchase the iPhone 7 from Best Buy, the phone will be unlocked?

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Verizon's LTE phones are unlocked. The only thing to keep in mind with those bought from Best Buy is to make sure they are activated with a Verizon SIM to make sure they still stay unlocked.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Congrats buddy.
    What a headache, I agree that you shouldn't have to go through all that for a device that you bought full price without a contract.

13. cooljw macrumors newbie

Follow up question: Do carrier models work this same way? For example, I have an IP7+ purchased from AT&T on a 2 year contract. If I put a Verizon SIM in it first for activation, would it be unlocked?

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

No, carrier models follow their carrier rules essentially.

15. eww7633 macrumors regular

Just an FYI. If you contact Apple, and you're able to provide the proof of purchase showing that you paid full price, Apple can apply an unlocked policy to your device. No need to use a Verizon SIM if you don't have one, or get all angry.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is false.
    If you paid full price for an iphone outside of an Apple store and its locked to a particular carrier you will need to contact that carrier, not Apple.
    Then the carrier will approve the unlock and submit it to Apple to be unlocked.

17. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

so just a headsup. i bought 7 plus via bestbuy online and it got shipped today. my carrier is AT&T. its a sim free model as per best buy's page. So if i activate with AT&T will it be locked? Can i activate it with Verizon active sim and keep it unlocked??

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    If you activate with AT&T sim it will lock to AT&T.
    Then you will have to go to AT&T's iPhone unlock site and put a request for it to be unlocked.
    Or do the first initial activation with a verizon sim card and you skip all that.

19. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

Okay sounds good. Thanks

20. eww7633 macrumors regular

Haha, not false. I'm in a position to know, and I've been involved in more than one of these. This applies to US Reseller
    flex only.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Again, the carrier has to submit the unlock request once they verify that you paid full price and the device is not under contract.
    You have to go to them not Apple directly.

22. eww7633 macrumors regular

Still, you're wrong. In this specific scenario, the carrier doesn't have to do anything. If you work for Apple, let me know, and I'll tell you where to find this information. If not, I kindly suggest you stop telling me I'm wrong when I have literally done this process more than once.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bypassing the carrier all together?
    I'd like to know the process of Apple submitting the imei unlock.

24. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

so if i activate the iphone with AT&T sim can i submit the unlock request right away?? or i have to pay off the phone first to unlock it?

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I thought you were paying full price for it at best buy?