Best Buy iP7/7+ Models are Subject to the US Reseller Flex Policy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JulesJam, Oct 12, 2016.

1. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

Nope I bought it on next

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not 100% but good to check with AT&T also. I heard they tend to unlock next payment iphones.

3. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

I am going to use it not selling it. I activated it with verizon and it's unlocked

4. eww7633 macrumors regular

It's an internal process so it's not really something open for discussion here. But it can and has been done for this particular issue.

5. Taisiya macrumors regular

Why would anybody buy a carrier-locked(Best Buy or otherwise) iPhone at full price?
    Doesn't it make more sense to just buy the unlocked version from Apple directly? :)

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, I would go to Apple directly if possible.
    But usually around release dates its hard to find them in stock and sometimes people get lucky at best buy or other retailers.

7. willlll macrumors newbie

Sometimes Best Buy would offer some pretty decent deal, like $200 gift card or something

8. Taisiya macrumors regular

Has Best Buy ever offered deals on smartphones at full retail prices?
    I have only seen deals on DPP or 2-year contract pricing at Best Buy.

9. willlll macrumors newbie

True, straight discount seldom offered on full price, unlocked phones at Best Buy. There're always some tricks about it

10. Taisiya macrumors regular

althoguh Best Buy has been offering pretty steep discounts off the full prices of unlocked version of Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 edge in the last couple of month. Usuallya $200 gift card or just a straight $150 off.

11. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Several reasons.
    • Availability - Apple store is out of stock or there isn't an Apple store close by.
    • Points - People may want to collect Best Buy points on their purchase.
    • Financing - People can use their Best Buy credit card and have 18 months of no interest.
    • Discounts - Best Buy has discounted iPhones in the past.
    I have purchased all of my iPhones every year from Best Buy since the 3G for the reasons listed. I just purchased the SIM free 7 and 7+ a few days ago and just went through the AT&T unlocked process. It took less than an hour to process. It saved me the trouble from going to the Apple store and dealing with the holiday craziness.

12. Nalax macrumors newbie

Nalax

Thank you all for the amazing thread
    I just bought an iphone 7 from bestbuy and i am planning to use it internationally..canada and europe.
    I haven't activated it yet. You suggest that i use a verizon sim card to activate it and it will be unlocked? Im a tmobile customer.
    Shall i just use anyone's verizon simcard and thats it?
    Please let me know

13. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Yes, you must insert a verizon sim card first to activate it. Once activated it will remained unlocked permanently. So you can then take the verizon sim card out and insert the t-mobile and it will work.

14. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Yup, I had them activate it in Best Buy with one of their own verizon sims, then I popped in my T-Mobile sim. Works perfectly.

15. Nalax macrumors newbie

Nalax

Thank you guys. Tried it today and it worked perfectly.
    My question is if i reset the phone will it re-lock again to the first carrier? Lets say i use tmobile sim the next time?

16. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Nope it's unlocked for good. I've DFU restored mine a few times and I always get the Congratulations your phone is unlocked at the end.

17. nox5 macrumors 6502

Why not buy Apple gift card from Best Buy and use the gift card to buy sim free iPhone directly from Apple?

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, it will never relock.
    It's unlocked for good.

19. uno90 macrumors newbie

uno90

new to here and still confused about this problem with my terrible English ability. So I read the unlock policy of Verizon, it has one is about the prepaid phone, looks like it will lock the cell phone unless you use their network for a year? I just got one from Walmart (I'm not sure it's a prepaid phone or not, but I just got the device only in full price without any contract) and they gave me a Verizon SIM card, so I can use it for initially activate and the device is automatically unlocked then I can use other carriers?

20. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

if you activate it with Verizon for the very first time, it will stay unlocked forever. If the one which you bought is refurbished then this means that it might be already activated before.

21. uno90 macrumors newbie

uno90

Is that means I just need a Verizon SIM card no matter the SIM card is activate or not right ? Because the sim card is come with the cellphone and I saw the sellsperson sacn the device's and sim card's barcode at the same time ,just afraid it has some special policy with this when I use that SIM card to active iPhone .

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im not 100% about those phones sold at Walmart though and their lock policy.
    This discussion was about phones bought at Best Buy.
    Phones sold for walmart prepaid wireless services are cheaper and most of the times locked and dont work the same as just sticking a verizon sim and its done.
    So find out for sure before you waste any money.

23. uno90 macrumors newbie

uno90

Just tried to activate last night with Verizon Sim card. Before that, I checked the initially activate policy of the phone and it's 4000 US reseller flex policy so I think that situation is as same as Bestbuy, and I checked the activation policy again after initially activate shows current policy and next time policy are: US Verizon LTE Unlocked policy! right now works perfectly in any others carriers include international SIM card as well!

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sweet, glad it worked out!

25. MsRandall, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017

MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

My sister has been a Sprint customer for 14 years- She bought a 7plus 70 days ago when BB had a $300 gift card for the 256gb promo. Since I have Verizon and picked up her iphone - when I activated it I used my sim first.

Fast forward to last week she finally got tired of Sprints terrible service and ported over to T-Mobile under the carrier freedom promo. The T-Mobile sales guy kept telling her that her iPhone was locked to Sprint. My sister called me - the salesman then tried to tell me the difference between locked/unlocked until I said put a T-Mobile sim in it. Then he wanted to know how I knew to activate it first with my Verizon sim

My sister ended up paying 3 payments on her 7 plus total and really they paid her to take the phone when you factor in the $300 card she got