MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

If you're in the United States, you can head to Best Buy today and get four months of Apple News+ for free. This offer is available for any new subscriber to Apple News+, but we've confirmed that if you previously signed up for the subscription news service and then cancelled, you can also take advantage of the Best Buy promotion and receive three months of Apple News+ for free.

apple-news-plus-best-buy.png

You can find this offer on Best Buy's website, where you can add it to your cart and checkout to receive an email for the redemption of your Apple News+ free trial. It is not available for anyone outside of the United States. After the three or four month trial, Apple News+ will auto-renew for $9.99/month until you cancel it.

Outside of this offer, Apple News+ typically gives new users a one month free trial. The service launched in 2019, offering subscribers a way to track and read news from a variety of news publications, like The Wall Street Journal and The Los Angeles Times.

Recently, Apple has faced some issues with its publishing partners, with The New York Times pulling support for Apple News+ last month. According to the publication, Apple News+ does not "align with its strategy of building direct relationships with paying readers."

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Best Buy. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Best Buy Offering Four Months of Apple News+ at No Cost for New Subscribers

gank41

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2008
I tried Apple News+ but just didn’t see the value in it so cancelled before the trial was over.
More annoying though is the way the news app constantly tries to get you to subscribe to news+. It’s very spammy and I expect better from Apple

I totally agree. I did the same thing and canceled my free trial because of how annoying the app is. I have a few friends that we all share news articles with, and when one of them shares any news articles with me it automatically opens in News instead of Safari.

BF1M

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2018
Every month I pay 4.99 for Apple News and by the next month I forget I'm paying until the receipt comes.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I had the orginal 4 or 6 month apple trial, let it run 1-2 months over but I really just didn’t use it enough. At 9.99$ it’s probably fairly priced vs. what it costs apple to pay the content producers, but they probably just can’t get much adoption at the number. Of course at 5.99-6.99 I might just buy it to have for those articles that are often paywalled and there IS a ton of overall content, but at that lower price no way apple can make ANY money vs. what they have to pay all the content providers. It’s not really a win win for anyone at this point and sadly, one that really only can support/sustain iteself via advertising and apple just doesn’t like that approach.

I’ll see if this works for another 4 months and I’ll try to see if I can make it work better. They really needed to up the capability for article saving, organizing, etc. Having just one giant list of things you saved but haven’t read yet is well, useless.

Reactions: SDJim

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
I have found that some of the Plus content is available on the providers native page for free. For example in Apple News, Houston Chronicle is only for the Plus subscribers. When I go to houstonchronicle.com, the same articles are free for anyone.

ATHiker95

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
What's not to like? Incredible number of magazines to read. 3 months for free - can't beat it. I've been using  News since it came out and love it. Just set a reminder for a few days ahead of the cancellation date and cancel if you don't want to pay the fee. Nothing to lose. Certainly worth the try.

xxray

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2013
I actually really liked Apple News when I did the trial, I just couldn’t justify paying $10 for news when it’s so accessible online. It’s just way more convenient to have it all in one place without workarounds and searches.

Reactions: SDJim

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I tried Apple News+ but just didn’t see the value in it so cancelled before the trial was over.
More annoying though is the way the news app constantly tries to get you to subscribe to news+. It’s very spammy and I expect better from Apple

Apple Music app is very similar. there is no way to get rid of everything Apple Music related. Even with it turned off, the Radio tab at the bottom remains.🙁

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.