Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redboxcar

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
It will be a 14 day, however i know best buy does not charge a restocking fee on any apple products

At my Best Buy they charge a restocking fee on Apple products that restocking fees apply to (i.e., on laptops, but not desktops or mp3 players). :rolleyes:

sohelpme

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
Of course, BestBuy will be stacking netbooks around the iPads, manned by salespeople repeating the phrases "Windows 7 is just like MacOSX", "Macs are more expensive" and "iPads are toys".

Jakron

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
Of course, BestBuy will be stacking netbooks around the iPads, manned by salespeople repeating the phrases "Windows 7 is just like MacOSX", "Macs are more expensive" and "iPads are toys".

did you get ahold of our training manuals!?!?!? :rolleyes:

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Wonder if geeksquad will charge 150 to come and have set up to connect to wifi in your house Just like they charge 130 bucks to set up 3D glasses to HD 3D TVS when all it takes is just looking at the screen. :p

cwlaw84

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
There is plenty a netbook can do that the iPad can't (although that margin diminishes slightly with the possibility of multitasking coming to OS 4.0). The lack of flash support for online content kind of blows, but the fact some of the major networks have begun setting up html5 versions of their video pages might make it less of an issue.

That said, there are things the iPad can do that a netbook simply can't. I don't see a substantial difference for home entertainment really... but for professionals... doctors, lawyers, etc. It has a lot of potential.

Now if there was just a way to wirelessly display the iPad screen to a projector for presentations... that's the one feature I wish had been included! Generation 2 or 3 maybe.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Now if there was just a way to wirelessly display the iPad screen to a projector for presentations... that's the one feature I wish had been included! Generation 2 or 3 maybe.

WirelessHD will be such a game changer.... Imagine flicking the movie you're watching onto the big screen.

TVs are already shipping with it, and the mobile version of WirelessHD has been ratified with device makers expected to ship in 2011.

It's lossless and can do 4K resolution, supports 3D too. Up to 28Gbit/sec data rate. Doesn't work through walls.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
At my Best Buy they charge a restocking fee on Apple products that restocking fees apply to (i.e., on laptops, but not desktops or mp3 players). :rolleyes:

so the question is what if the ipad is considered a computer or just regular electronics. here's what the restocking fee terms is:

Restocking Fee
A restocking fee is applicable in some product categories, unless you are a Reward Zone Program Premier Silver member, the item is defective, or the fee is prohibited by law. The restocking fee charges are:

25% for Special Order Products, including appliances
15% for opened notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS navigation and in-car video systems
10% for Apple® iPhone

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Options are good. Glad its not just Apple carrying this thing. Still not sure why there is a 3G model though I guess to be consistent options are good.

Mr. C

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010

It appears at this time that only Apple and Best Buy will be carrying the iPad in retail stores at launch.

About a dozen 'top tier' Apple resellers across the country will also be carrying the iPad. No clue yet as to stock levels at launch, but they are investing in similar promo materials, planograms and demo models pre-loaded with content.

Resellers have been told that all sales staff must take iPad training courses on Apple's sales training website and that the launch weekend will be audited by Apple employed 'secret shoppers' to see that all instructions were followed.

BaronStein

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2010
NY
When I first opened macrumors on my iPhone, I just saw this one like it is a rumor about MacBook Pro, and they are going to be released on April 4th, but later I've understood that I was wrong. Another disappointment has occurred. Too bad, you disappoint me Apple...

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
so the question is what if the ipad is considered a computer or just regular electronics. here's what the restocking fee terms is:

Restocking Fee
A restocking fee is applicable in some product categories, unless you are a Reward Zone Program Premier Silver member, the item is defective, or the fee is prohibited by law. The restocking fee charges are:

15% for opened notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS navigation and in-car video systems
10% for Apple® iPhone
Based on the previous comments here, I doubt if even the BB employees can answer that question right now.

We will all probably have to wait for that answer.

I will point out to you right now that line-level retail employees are frequently the last people to learn about the details of such matters. Fair? Customer friendly? Sane? Arguable, but that's the fact.

The BB retail employees here really won't be told anything of note until the eleventh hour. Probably not that much different for line-level Apple Retail employees. Their managers often known precious little more.

Apple is a secretive company; an Apple store manager might have knowledge in advance, by several weeks, but with little detail other than to prevent people from taking vacations, etc. CSR doesn't fare much better.

Engineering management, some corporate marketing, and a few finance folks are the ones who really know what's going on.

redboxcar

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009

Restocking Fee

10% for Apple® iPhone

My guess is that there will be no restocking fee, as it does not seem to fit under any of the categories that restocking fees apply. Obviously we'll find out next week, but that's my guess.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Considering I tried to buy a $1000 HDTV last week from my local Best Buy and they wouldn’t sell it to me because “they were holding all of that model for their Sunday ad,” I think I’ll purchase my iPad from a store whose sales policies make sense.

Maybe I’ll buy from Amazon and enjoy the no sales tax.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
My guess is that there will be no restocking fee, as it does not seem to fit under any of the categories that restocking fees apply. Obviously we'll find out next week, but that's my guess.
My guess is that you are wrong and that Best Buy would impose some sort of restocking fee, probably 15% based on the product's similarity to the items listed in the table above.

chn09

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010

HAHA YEAH RIGHT. I'm not just saying this because I work there, but anyone who is told to say that needs to quit. My store realizes the quality and price of Apple Products, instead of selling netbooks instead, (which we make no money on and even loose money on) , we will sell the **** out of iPads and optimize them the way they should be with the proper accessories. Best Buy does everything for a reason and they are releasing these for a reason.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
Mean while for those not interested in the iPad you have to admit its been a very lame start to 2010.

I hope the 2nd and 3rd Quarters are alot better as Apples Macbooks are starting to look abit ****

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
They wouldn’t sell it to me because “they were holding all of that model for their Sunday ad,” I think I’ll purchase my iPad from a store whose sales policies make sense.
From what I understand about bait and switch laws it makes perfect sense.

Maybe I’ll buy from Amazon and enjoy the no sales tax.
In many states any sales tax that's not collected by the seller simply becomes a use tax that needs to be paid by the buyer. Are you sure you're not living in such a state right now?

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
hmmmmm. to cancel my preorder and go to best buy or not? I'd hate to go to my best buy and they be out.

twilightrose

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
hmmmmm. to cancel my preorder and go to best buy or not? I'd hate to go to my best buy and they be out.

I say wait, since you pre-ordered you already have a pretty much garenteed unit, where-as bestbuy you will be taking a gamble.:rolleyes:

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
I'd much rather buy it at a local store. If Best Buy has them on launch day, I know where I'll be :)

robfromabove

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
...and store planograms indicate that two notebooks and an iMac will be displaced from the usual Apple Shop layout to accommodate four iPad demo units and associated accessories for display.

If that's not an indicator that new MBP's aren't going to be released anytime soon, then I don't know what is...

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
Still not sure why there is a 3G model though

Is this a trick question? It is so people can get online and use apps that require the internet even when they aren't in range of a Wifi service providing internet access. For example, a passenger in a car driving along the motorway can be checking emails, browsing some blogs, downloading a new book and playing an online multiplayer game when a Wifi-only model wouldn't be able to do these things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.