Best Buy says iPad 2 screen protectors don't fit new iPad...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SoloStyle, Mar 19, 2012.

1. SoloStyle macrumors regular

I stopped at Best Buy over the weekend to buy a screen protector for my new iPad and the employee working in the electronics department told me that the screen protectors for the iPad 2 won't work correctly with the new iPad. He said it had something to do with it interferring with the front sensor. He also said that he could sell me one but they would not be able to install it because of the issue.

Anyone else heard this from Best Buy?

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

First I've heard of that. One employee's word at one BB does not mean a whole lot.

3. Built macrumors 68020

Power Support Crystal Film Protectors for the iPad 2 fit the iPad 3...

Trust me...I know...I just had one installed last Friday...PERFECT fit.

4. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

false, apple only changed the thickness of the iPad, and did not move the sensors or the size of the glass, will work the same on the 3 as it would on a 2

5. GaiaAero macrumors regular

6. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

7. LanEvo macrumors 6502

This, and all most, if not all iPad 2 cases fir the new iPad as well.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Inconceivable!

9. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

That's funny, my iPad 2 screen protector fits perfectly on it.

Now can someone confirm that my back skin shield from my ipad 2 will fit on my iPad 3? That is the real question.

10. turbotoes macrumors regular

I've got an iPad 1 screen protector on mine, that fits fine too.

11. JBG87 macrumors member

best buy makes money from selling accessories i worked at one

for the ipad 2 when they were in short supply they werent letting people buy one unless they were purchasing some sort of accessorie

12. roflc0pter macrumors regular

So you covered up the front camera? :p

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Now YOU are wrong. Depending on the case and the type fit the 3 does NOT fit cases that the pad clips into. The sloppy leather cases that the iPad slides into will work. Many of the cases will also not put the iPad 3 to sleep when closed.

14. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

They're probably wrong on this. And don't blame the employee, it was probably news relayed to them from corporate, so blame Best Buy corporate :p I was in Best Buy today, actually, and I overheard someone sales associate saying that the iPad 2 protectors wouldn't fit the new iPad...I thought it strange, but I wasn't buying one so I didn't care.

If you get a full body InvisibleShield, however, BBY is not necessarily wrong. It may not be a nice of a fit as you were hoping for...but for the screen alone, it should be all right.

15. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Other than the display resolution, nothing moved or was otherwise changed on the front of the new iPad, so the iPad2 screen protectors work just fine.

16. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I have a Belkin Snap Shield case that's made for an iPad 2 that's about as form fitting as you can get and it fits just fine.

17. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I live in Los Angeles and called power support yesterday and they told me that they were just told that their iPad 2 screens will fit the new iPad and that there were no changes. Will be going there Thursday with my new iPad plus 2 of my friends new iPads.

18. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Wow, when I purchased our iPad on Friday, BBY was pushing Zag protectors with free installation.

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm sure glad they didn't tell the SGP ipad2 screen protector I installed Friday that it wouldn't fit! It went on perfectly.

20. turbotoes macrumors regular

Yep, but it's never going to get used. So who cares!

21. Djtrackie macrumors member

There are so many posts on false information from Best Buy, it's not even funny

22. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I can confirn this story. I also went to best buy this weekend and was told the same thing about the "sensor". He said that they had some screen protectors by ZAGG that worked but couldn't find them. I said thats ok because I don't like ZAGG anyway, I'm looking for Power Support.

I went Home and ordered some iPad 2 Power Support ones since it was mentioned via their twitter that they worked with the iPad 3.

23. str8bucs macrumors regular

I had a extra Incipio screen protector for my iPad 2 and and it works just fine on the "New iPad"

Seriously Apple the "New iPad" needs a better name!!!!

24. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Come to think about it, All my Best Buy had was ZAGG. Tons of them. I bet that they are just trying to push all that stock they bought. lol

25. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I can confirm that the STM Skinny does not fit the new iPad.