Best Buy says iPad 2 screen protectors don't fit new iPad...

SoloStyle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
I stopped at Best Buy over the weekend to buy a screen protector for my new iPad and the employee working in the electronics department told me that the screen protectors for the iPad 2 won't work correctly with the new iPad. He said it had something to do with it interferring with the front sensor. He also said that he could sell me one but they would not be able to install it because of the issue.

Anyone else heard this from Best Buy?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
First I've heard of that. One employee's word at one BB does not mean a whole lot.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Power Support Crystal Film Protectors for the iPad 2 fit the iPad 3...

Trust me...I know...I just had one installed last Friday...PERFECT fit.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
false, apple only changed the thickness of the iPad, and did not move the sensors or the size of the glass, will work the same on the 3 as it would on a 2

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
That's funny, my iPad 2 screen protector fits perfectly on it.

Now can someone confirm that my back skin shield from my ipad 2 will fit on my iPad 3? That is the real question.

JBG87

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
best buy makes money from selling accessories i worked at one

for the ipad 2 when they were in short supply they werent letting people buy one unless they were purchasing some sort of accessorie

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
This, and all most, if not all iPad 2 cases fir the new iPad as well.
Now YOU are wrong. Depending on the case and the type fit the 3 does NOT fit cases that the pad clips into. The sloppy leather cases that the iPad slides into will work. Many of the cases will also not put the iPad 3 to sleep when closed.

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
They're probably wrong on this. And don't blame the employee, it was probably news relayed to them from corporate, so blame Best Buy corporate :p I was in Best Buy today, actually, and I overheard someone sales associate saying that the iPad 2 protectors wouldn't fit the new iPad...I thought it strange, but I wasn't buying one so I didn't care.

If you get a full body InvisibleShield, however, BBY is not necessarily wrong. It may not be a nice of a fit as you were hoping for...but for the screen alone, it should be all right.

dmccloud

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Other than the display resolution, nothing moved or was otherwise changed on the front of the new iPad, so the iPad2 screen protectors work just fine.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Now YOU are wrong. Depending on the case and the type fit the 3 does NOT fit cases that the pad clips into. The sloppy leather cases that the iPad slides into will work. Many of the cases will also not put the iPad 3 to sleep when closed.
I have a Belkin Snap Shield case that's made for an iPad 2 that's about as form fitting as you can get and it fits just fine.

Dstopsie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I live in Los Angeles and called power support yesterday and they told me that they were just told that their iPad 2 screens will fit the new iPad and that there were no changes. Will be going there Thursday with my new iPad plus 2 of my friends new iPads.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Wow, when I purchased our iPad on Friday, BBY was pushing Zag protectors with free installation.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
I stopped at Best Buy over the weekend to buy a screen protector for my new iPad and the employee working in the electronics department told me that the screen protectors for the iPad 2 won't work correctly with the new iPad. He said it had something to do with it interferring with the front sensor.

Anyone else heard this from Best Buy?
I can confirn this story. I also went to best buy this weekend and was told the same thing about the "sensor". He said that they had some screen protectors by ZAGG that worked but couldn't find them. I said thats ok because I don't like ZAGG anyway, I'm looking for Power Support.

I went Home and ordered some iPad 2 Power Support ones since it was mentioned via their twitter that they worked with the iPad 3.

str8bucs

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
WV
I had a extra Incipio screen protector for my iPad 2 and and it works just fine on the "New iPad"

Seriously Apple the "New iPad" needs a better name!!!!

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
Come to think about it, All my Best Buy had was ZAGG. Tons of them. I bet that they are just trying to push all that stock they bought. lol