Best Buy selling Gen1s for cheap!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BaddAdvice, Sep 9, 2016.

1. BaddAdvice macrumors member

BaddAdvice

38mm Sports going for $189 and 42mm Sports going for $219! Almost thinking about picking up a 2nd one and keeping it in the box.....

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Send me $216 and I will 'keep it in a box' for you.

3. swester macrumors regular

Even better - picked up a 38mm black sport with black nylon band in "excellent condition" open box (which probably means just returned new) for $180 including tax. Hard to beat that!

4. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

They will only continue to decrease in cost.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 9, 2016 ---
    There should be some open box deals that are steals!

5. WLS macrumors 65816

Picked up a 38mm SS new for $250 These are a steal!

6. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Do you know the price for 42mm SS?

This is bad news for me. Doesn't sound like I'll be able to sell my used 42mm SS at 50% of what I paid, probably not even at 25%. I think Apple's marketing dept got this one wrong. They would have done better by selling it a lower price initially.

7. WLS macrumors 65816

$350 if you can find one. It varies on availability and popularity . The 42 is more popular than the 38 so it goes for more.

8. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

"these are a steel" get it! hahahahahahahahaah /nudge get it get it?!?! yeah you get it.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 10, 2016 ---
    I agree, the AW is not going to be a high reseller like the rest of the apple products tend to be. Even the AW2 SS link I just bought won't be worth squat in 2 years when the redesign comes out. As long as they keep the same band connection system I don't really mind though now that I have my link I will just buy the cheapest black SS combo and get my link polished and BAM! new AW3 SS link.

9. igrover macrumors regular

igrover

Yeah - basically if you bought a first gen at a reduced price from say Best Buy then you will probably be able to get @ 50% of your retail price if you sell today or turn over the watch to one of those on-line places like CashFor Your Mac, etc.

However if you paid full retail then you are likely to get @ 25-30% of the original retail price.

Quite a drop in value. At least for me these resale prices indicate the watch is very over priced at retail.

10. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

And Apple knows this but still insisting to keep prices up, probably because once "officially" lowered they can never go back up. I read how luxury Swiss watch makers would rather buy back their watches from jewelers at almost a complete loss . . . they salvage whatever raw materials they can. In the past, I would upgrade my iPhone every year knowing there was a strong resale market. I forget the profit margin and I'm not a marketing person, but it seems to me Apple would do better lowering their prices, especially with their AWs. Maybe even with their iPhones. It would generate buzz if they lowered it by $100 or $50, instead they raised prices on the 7+. Phil Schiller even hesitated when he announced the price increase as if he was anticipating heckles and boos. People are willing to pay for quality and luxury, but don't want to feel taken. I'm starting to feel like the others who avoid Apple products feeling they are not worth it and overpriced.

11. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Except that they didn't raise prices on the 7+ though. Last year the 128GB 6S+ was $949, for the 7+ this year the 128GB is $869. So it's actually $80 less....

12. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Oh . . . I thought it was simply $20 more. Ok :) I didn't catch on to the price mind games . . . usually t's better features, but the same prices as last year. This year better features and increased storage for same price, except for the 7+. The "increase" by $20 it threw me off. :)

13. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I personally wouldn't pay you $150 for the SS when you can get a new 42mm sport for $219 (or cheaper). Not only is the SS a scratch magnet but the battery has taken a hit and no warranty if you got it over a year ago.
    It would be smarter to keep it or gift it. The left over SS models will also see major price cuts. People need to learn that these materials mean jack when a new model is released.

14. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

You're saying as soon as a new model is released having a "luxury" SS version doesn't matter? It ceases to be a selling point?

It does seem many more people are looking to the aluminum versions as Apple now has even more choices for aluminum.

Too bad there's no aluminum Milanese. If aluminum had the Milanese Loop, I would have gotten that for a gen 1 product.

Anyway, good point and perspective. A used SS is too close in price to a brand new aluminum AW.

15. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

SS prices have now dropped. Just bought a open box SS black for $231. I have to drive 18 miles to go pick it up but seem worth it.

16. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502a

Aibocyrus

I picked one up today. I had owned one previously and couldn't justify the cost. At $189 though... it really is a steal. I ordered a couple different bands on eBay and I'll just hang on to this until Apple changes the form factor of Apple watch. I am ok with the capabilities of Gen 1 for now. Will still switch it out with my other watches and dress it up or down.
    I would love to see them come out with a circular faced watch. I wear MVMT watches now and I love the size, shape, and feel. I would buy an apple watch if they could mimic the size and shape of MVMT.

I would like to know what the really really expensive apple watches are selling for as of right now lol

17. Porterhouse, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016

Porterhouse macrumors newbie

Porterhouse

I'm also picking up an open box SS. I'm excited; I've had a Sport since December. I've never been crazy about the aluminum look for my own usage, but at the time, I wasn't sure how much I would use the watch.

As it turns out, I use it a lot.

I briefly considered the new version, but GPS doesn't matter that much to me, and now with an inexpensive chance at stainless? No contest.

My only problem (and I'm using that word loosely) is waiting until Thursday. Even though this is the original version, once word of the clearance prices hit, the stores were cleared. So Thursday it is!

Question: What are the benefits of Apple Care with the watch versus the standard warranty?

18. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I nabbed a gold 42mm Sport with the midnight blue band for $215 after tax (open box in mint condition with all original accessories), after trading in an old 5S I had lying around it ended up being $115. Awesome deal. :D

19. Kohkane macrumors 6502a

Picked up a SS 38mm for $245 and apple care for it. I have no desire to upgrade yet and my fiancé has been wanting a smart watch so this works out wonderfully.

20. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

Picked up a 38mm SS with classic buckle today. Traded in my Gold Sport that I was holding on to, so I got an insanely good deal. I've really been wanting to jump from sport to stainless steel. Once the AW2 announcement was done, I was pretty underwhelmed. Figured I'd just grab another first gen at such a good price.

21. Kohkane macrumors 6502a

Mind me asking why you went with the buckle? I opted for the SS with the sport band since for $100 I could get a few nice bands instead of one.

22. nhamp07 macrumors regular

I pre-ordered the series 1 watch and a now rethinking that big time.

Is the processor really worth $110?

23. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Won't know until someone actually post comparison.

24. blwade macrumors 6502

I haven't ordered a watch yet, but I'm wondering this as well as I think I would like to buy in now...

25. Kohkane macrumors 6502a

OS3 made the Series 0 blazing fast. I honestly can't foresee the dual core making that much of a difference that I'll want to upgrade.