Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
No I suppose you didn't. There are many comments out there who wish that Amazon will kill off Best Buy, so I just had your comment lumped in with those.

It will be the end when Amazon does eventually take over it all.
I never thought I'd say it, but I'm rooting for Walmart. Amazon has become a bully and customers are no longer benefiting from it. Amazon's prices have increased A LOT, but the insane convenience has trained people to forget about price shopping.

It doesn't seem like a lot, but paying $9.99 on Amazon with free shipping is a lot more expensive than $6.99 at the store. Maybe not on that one item, but it adds up.

Reactions: richhh

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Honestly I still don’t understand why people are still bickering over this charge. If you want to complain go after those car dealers that mark up low production cars with the same kind of arguing fitness. They don’t mark up by $100. They mark up by five digits sometimes.

iPhone's are not "low production"...

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
iPhone's are not "low production"...

If it's on backorder for 5-6 weeks, it's "low" production. Just a matter of scale.

Anyways are you saying it's okay for mark up the Civic Type-R by 50% of the MSRP? That car isn't low production if you compared it to say a limited edition Ferrari.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
If it's on backorder for 5-6 weeks, it's "low" production. Just a matter of scale.

Anyways are you saying it's okay for mark up the Civic Type-R by 50% of the MSRP? That car isn't low production if you compared it to say a limited edition Ferrari.

How do you know its low production

Couldn’t it be steady production and overwhelming demand?

Theoretically?

Or low demand but even lower production?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
How do you know its low production

Couldn’t it be steady production and overwhelming demand?

Theoretically?

Or low demand but even lower production?

I don't know it's low production. If you tell me something is on backorder for 5-6 week, I would think it's low production. It's just a matter of perspective.

Best Buy marking it up is like some many dealers will mark up so-called "low production" cars. That's what I'm saying.

There is no right or wrong here. All my opinion.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It's just a matter of perspective.

Best Buy marking it up is like some many dealers will mark up so-called "low product" cars. That's what I'm saying.

Huh?

But Best Buy has been marking up iPhones for years, I think dating back to iPhone 4.

But certainly not unique to X release, objectively, and been practice for multiple generations without the media blowback

And what does any of that have to do with production?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Huh?

But Best Buy has been marking up iPhones for years, I think dating back to iPhone 4.

But certainly not unique to X release, objectively, and been practice for multiple generations without the media blowback

And what does any of that have to do with production?

Can we move on?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Can we move on?

Yeah Best Buy doesn't have to do with this one.

..Why can't I speculate on production tho?

Aren't those other options theoretically possible?

I'm not saying low production is implausible but there are other explanations that could be valid

I think it's an interesting thing to think about not trying to start anything by pontificating, more or less

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yeah Best Buy doesn't have to do with this one.

..Why can't I speculate on production tho?

Aren't those other options theoretically possible?

I'm not saying low production is implausible but there are other explanations that could be valid

I think it's an interesting thing to think about not trying to start anything by pontificating, more or less

Okay, I agree my "low production" choice wasn't the best. I was just trying to compare Best Buy marking up with a car dealer marking up some cars.

When demand exceeds supply, it's normal for some stores to mark prices up. Best Buy took the brunt of this one. I just wished people would focus their dissatisfaction in other markets as well, that's all.

Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Okay, I agree my "low production" choice wasn't the best. I was just trying to compare Best Buy marking up with a car dealer marking up some cars.

When demand exceeds supply, it's normal for some stores to mark prices up. Best Buy took the brunt of this one. I just wished people would focus their dissatisfaction in other markets as well, that's all.

But again though, just to clarify, they aren’t marking up because the X hype is real and heavy, as this isnt a unique stunt to the X release. Historically speaking, they’ve done this for multiple generations of iPhones but are now only bearing the brunt of scrutiny BECAUSE of the media hype of X all together. Anyone who’s ever window shopped an iPhone’s price at Best Buy contract free in past few years, understands the hike.

Your car dealer markup comparison is a fair one, there’s MSRP and then there’s ‘convenience tax’ like BB said and was hounded for...

Look at it this way, if you dont have a verizon account and demand the Qualcomm CDMA/GSM model, without spending nearly the same if not more or a little less but hassle, to sign up for a Verizon account temporarily, vs. forking over +100 to get it over with, maybe thats worth it to someone? And also uninformed consumers or consumers who value getting an X if they stumble across one in BB/preorder is the only option left, vs waiting seemingly definitely from Apple.com direct with the current queue backed up to sometime in December, or so..

Now you cant even get a plan-free X if you wanted from BB, so the complainers have eliminated a choice they weren’t going to go with to begin with :D

And i agree, other markets are worth critiquing more like ebay allowing preorder auctions to happen, before someone even has the product in their hands — as a placeholder. That just feels wrong to lock people into hype pricing, vs having product in hand and going where market and craigslist and all the rest dictate, price wise.

Thats classic gouging and enabling the scalper to do his job and do it very well.

zarmanto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2014
Around the corner from the 7/11
I think Best Buy is now in reputation repair mode; I just received an e-mail from them which says:

We're celebrating My Best Buy® members. Redeem your Mystery Rewards certificate worth $5 to $5,000 in store by 11/10/17*.

Standard "odds of winning" rules apply, of course... pretty much everyone just gets the "promotional" $5 coupon. But to find that out for certain, you have to actually show up at the store, which by default increases their foot traffic (always a good metric for the PR guys to crow about, especially going into the holiday shopping season) and likewise increases the odds that you'll go ahead and buy something, since you're already there... so ya know...

Tec972

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
In addition to my first post on this topic Best Buy Selling iPhone X on Installment Plan Only After Criticism Over $100 Premium which was very lengthy and discusses why many of you should focus your aggression more towards Apple, is the fact that it was Apple who decided to use a crummy intel modem in their phones for AT&T subscribers hence the reason many want to go to BB to purchase an unlocked phone to get away from that sh***y modem. The phones with those crummy Intel chips do suffer. That was once again Apple paying less and going cheap for a part and not passing the savings on to you loyal fanboys.

Nobody would willingly want the intel chip in their phone if given a choice.

Reactions: Zaned303

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Is anyone surprised? This is the same company that was charging $42 for a case of water during the recent hurricanes in Texas.
OK can folks please get off this lol jeez. As stated before, BBY doesn't have a sku for a case of water like say...Kroger would. The idiot employee basically thought "Ok, I'll just take 12 bottles of water and multiply the price of one bottle by 12." More of a stupid mistake than price gouging. Of course most would rather blow the issue up instead of finding out what really happened

Two Stacks

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
New Orleans
so my question is, if BBY closed, where would you go for live human help with products?

how would you return that 65" tv you ordered from Amazon? Would you complain at amazon for you having to pay return shipping? or what about the manufacturer if you have to ship it to them during the warranty period or pay to have someone come out for service?

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I find little or no reason to go to Best Buy except as a Amazon Showroom.

Before amazon charged tax definitely so. Anymore, it varies where i can get best deal. I can get 5% off at amazon with CC. But I can do same at BB and they price match. I've probably gotten at least 100k worth of stuff to review at amazon over the years so i can't complain. For example, i'd buy a laser printer, all of a sudden 4 or 5 more printers show up in my amazon vine queue to review so I'd get those too for free. Purchases definitely influenced what they made available to review. I have shelves full of stuff like this from amazon...printers, routers, 3d printers, logitech, dell laptops, chromebooks, baby stuff, you name it. Anyways, it pays to review things..

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Funniest thing happened about Dec 6th of this year. Out of curiosity I asked BB what a new iPhone 8 would cost and they quoted me the $899 price, $200 above what they cost at the Apple store. i passed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.