Best Buy won't sell iPad unless you complete questionnaire

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tron1971, Mar 17, 2012.

1. tron1971 macrumors newbie

Just return from my local Best Buy without an iPad. They had some in stock but wouldn't sell it to me without me filling out a questionnaire. Totally disappointed I waited years to buy my first "good" iPad and I can wait till those idiots at Best Buy stop with the questionnaires.

I don't have to fill out something at the Apple store or neither online when Best Buy decides to sell the new iPad on their website. I am in no rush but I just wanted to inform those about Best Buy sales tactics.

For the curious this was the Honolulu Best Buy store.

2. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Maybe it is just yours, mine did not have anything like this happen.

3. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Even when you call the Apple store, they have automation asking you what your buying, and if its for Home or Business use... thats a questionnaire every time you call an Apple store.

4. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Not true at all, I purchased 2 new iPads yesterday from Best Buy, and didn't have to fill anything out.

5. WHM macrumors regular

I purchased mine at Best Buy yesterday... the only thing they asked me is which one do you want? In and out in less than 15 minutes.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

that's strange ... when I called BB to see if they had the new iPad in stock ... they responded with ... what are you wearing?

7. noname3151 macrumors member

8. tron1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly, the Honolulu Best Buy told me after I declined the questionnaire that in order to sell the iPad to me I had to fill it out. If a lot of you didn't have to fill anything out I am going back tomorrow and talk to the manager if they try this stunt again.

Thanks for the feedback gang! :)

9. wc17 macrumors member

I'm not sure what the problem is. Either do as you said and make a stink about it or give them BS/false information.

10. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

What kind of questions is this questionnaire asking?

If a store -- big chain or not -- required me to do this, I would give them the polite version of the response: "Don't be a ****** idiot, I want to give you money for the thing that you're selling and that's all that should be necessary in this situation." If they still insisted, I'd give them the meaner version to let them know that they've lost my business.

11. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

That's weird - never heard of them doing that before. I'm not sure whether I'd walk out and pick it up somewhere else or just give them outrageous BS for answers like you said.

12. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Act deaf and illiterate.

They will leave you alone and just let you buy it.

13. Built macrumors 68020

I purchased mine at the Best Buy store in Inglewood yesterday morning...No questionnaire...

14. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I was sent to Best Buy last year when they didn't have any stock on the iPad 2, and I remember filling one out, asking me if this was my first tablet, etc...But nothing like that this year. Maybe they saw my purchase history and didn't bother, or perhaps my Best Buy just wasn't asking this year.

15. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

"Got nothin' on but the radio. You?"

16. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

But was it "required" in order to make a purchase? That part doesn't make much sense to me. If I was told that, I wouldn't even humor them by breezing through it.

17. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Honestly I don't remember if it was required or not. They asked me to fill it out, and I really just wanted my iPad at the time so I didn't question them. That, and the only model they had left was the exact model I wanted, and couldn't find it anywhere so I felt lucky. I can't see a questionnaire like that being mandatory though.

18. Built macrumors 68020

Are you sure that it wssn't just their "work sheet" where they had listed all the options you could get (set up, service coverage, etc.)?

Attached to the "ticket" we all received in line yesterday was a "work sheet" showing what options, if any, we elected.

19. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I went to two different Best Buys yesterday and didn't to have fill out any questionnaire to buy the new iPad at either store.

20. Built macrumors 68020

It sounds like a decision made by some rogue local manager.

Contact Corporate...1-800-BEST BUY

Denying a sale based on a questionnaire is ridiculous, and I doubt that that kind of behavior is condoned by Best Buy Corporate.

21. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

I bought mine at BB. They asked me a few questions and they filled some stuff out but it wasn't bad.

22. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

The questionnaire is dependant on the store and the supervisor. My two local stores question you throughout the whole sales pitch "to better figure out what you need." But BB info gathers constantly. It's only like 3-4 questions. Quit complaining, go back, explain you'd rather not answer any questions and just purchase the product. Or go to the Honolulu Apple store. :confused:

23. Djay1 macrumors member

Ditto here as well in Middle TN. Very good experience.

24. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I purchased mine at BBY yesterday. The sales guy filled it out for me; it was basically geared towards upselling.

25. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

It might be a small thing to complain about, but it's still valid. If someone tells you that a few questions are "required" to make the purchase -- even if it doesn't require giving your name or personal info -- I wouldn't put up with it. If a manager is making that decision for his store, then corporate should tell him to cut it out.