Best Buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by n8sco, Jul 20, 2011.

1. n8sco macrumors member

Sorry if it's being discussed elsewhere but just wondering if anyone has heard anything about when Best Buy may have them in stock? I'm definitely buying from my local store and I'd be extremely happy if they had them Friday morning.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Usually they get them in a few days. Give them a call and ask, that is the best option.

3. n8sco thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I called their customer service line earlier to see if they could tell me when they might get stock either in store or online and the computer sales rep said she had no information. I'll just have to be patient I guess(virtually impossible lol).

4. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

Ya id like to know as well, if you find out please post the answer here, i think the BB gift Card would be better than the appstore one.

Is there any downside to buying it from BB?

5. n8sco thread starter macrumors member

As soon as I get any info I'll be sure to share. The only downside I could see to buying it at BB would be that you can't get built to order models. I'm looking to buy 2 base 13 inch models which I can finance for 18 months and Best Buy is 5 minutes away from my house. That outweighs the app store gift card for me lol.

6. Matt54987 macrumors newbie

I called the two Best Buy's in my area. The first one told me they did not know and the second told me within 7-10 days.

7. rlu929s macrumors regular

Mine told me they just shipped from Apple today, so as long as it takes to get them in. I'm guessing today it'd probably be the same amount of time.

8. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

They actually offer a 100$ bestbuy gift card, its their version of the B2school promotion, im not sure if they give you the 50$ off though...but you have to ask for the discount its not promoted, also you can probably use that GC to buy applecare if you wanted

9. EchoPure macrumors member

Can you use the $100 gift card for the macbook air purchase?

10. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

No sorry

11. tim100 macrumors 65816

any update as to when bestbuy will get new airs?

12. bigp9998 macrumors regular

Does Best Buy sell AppleCare? Would use the GC toward that. Couldn't find it on their website anyway.

13. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Sort of - if you charge it to a BB card you can apply the GC to your account. Also - be sure to sign up for the Reward Zone if you aren't a member - that'll get you and extra 40$ in gift certificates (not cards) - or 160$ in the 4x promotion but you forgo 18 months no interest.

14. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Not sure - buy B&H Photo in NYC is a better deal for Applecare.

15. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

YMMV - mine would not provide a gift card when asked; iTunes or in store.

16. n8sco thread starter macrumors member

Seems like Best Buy should have them in stock fairly imminently. They've changed the prices of the C2D macbook airs from being on sale with 50-70 dollars discounts to a permanent price drop of 100 dollars. My hope is that they'll start selling them today or tomorrow but I'm going to call my local store today and see if I can get any more info.

17. bigp9998 macrumors regular

The SKU for the $100 Best Buy gift card promo is 2953989; it is an unadvertised promotion but if you asked for it they should have given it to you.

18. n8sco thread starter macrumors member

So after speaking to 2 best buy stores and the central location they apparently don't even have them in the system yet and the individual stores won't know they're getting them until the truck comes in with them. I actually had 2 reps try to tell me that the 2010 macbook air was the new model and they both thought I was insane when I told them that they're probably only registering as new because the price dropped due to the new model being released. So now, those of us wanting to purchase from Best Buy wait. I will say this about Best Buy though: It's a sad state of affairs when the so called computer expert who's supposed to help you make an informed purchase doesn't even know what an i5 processor is. :(

19. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

The online store says theyll get them on the 29th, not sure aboiut in store

20. TheBMill Guest

You gotta remember that Best Buy is going to reduce the prices on their current stock of 2010 airs (in fact they have as of late). They're definitely not going to tell you about new models coming out! I saw them hard selling the 2010 airs last week when I knew that the new ones were right around the corner.

21. n8sco thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Not sure if it's the same here in America. They don't even have them up on the US website at all. I might just have to suck it up and give apple some cash.

22. Spankey macrumors 6502a

When I was in Best Buy yesterday they didn't even know about the refresh. Ok, it was early. The guy I talked to seemed to think Best Buy would try to liquidate their inventory of 2010 models first.

I called this morning and different answers from different people/stores. One said possibly in a day or two and another said probably in the next week, but did say they were online. Probably in the system. There should be a Friday night delivery if they don't get anything today.

23. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I wonder if BB actually does sell AppleCare as it would compete with their own service. Part of how they make their money selling Apple products, I am sure.

24. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

thanks.. what if i apply for the best buy card on the spot for the financing plan.. would they still give me the $100 promo + price match apple's $50 off with a student id? can't i just use the $100 towards the macbook air?

25. n8sco thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for responding. Yeah it's like they're denying it's very existence. I think there may be some truth to their liquidating the 2010's because the woman at my local best buy and the guy on the customer service line were both playing far too dumb to be legitimate. I very clearly stated that I just would like a ballpark figure as to when the new airs might be in because I only wanted the new, just released model yet they tried like the dickens to get me to buy the 2010. That was after I stated that it was my preference to purchase from Best Buy because I get all my items from there blah blah blah but buying direct from apple was still an option if I couldn't pin down an estimate of when they'd be available. Either way I've got to believe they'll have them in within the week. I see no logical explanation for Macmall having them today and Best Buy not even being able to give a straight answer. Oh well it's my own fault for being impatient I guess.:eek: