Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Well, I confess that I read your post describing your delight and joy when using the Chemex; it sounds relatively easy to make, seems quite wonderful to look at, and , above all, would appear to be quite delicious to drink. Well wear, and long may you enjoy using it.

Of all other manual methods I’ve used: French Press and Aeropress (both prep, wait and plunge), it’s definitely the most hands on, requiring more patience and a little flair :D

It’s really gets you close the coffee making process and very ritualistic (I feel like there are steps where I should be chanting :D). I love seeing how the coffee blooms, foams, seeps, collects on the filters and generates the sweet, sweet beverage :D

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Although my experience with coffee makers may be about as welcome as drinking a glass of Jacob's Creek Shiraz in front of a wine connoisseur, I am still really liking my Nespresso machine 6 months on. It is small, taking up very little worktop space in my kitchen and very easy to clean. I only really use it at weekends as I leave for work at 5.45am each morning and to my inexperienced tongue in tastes rather good. Now the patent has expired on the capsules it means you can buy them from various manufacturers. When at work I drink Nescafe Gold blend which will have many people rolling around laughing, but it is free and keeps me awake throughout the day. If I am feeling especially adventurous I can stroll into Cafe Nero every Tuesday and claim a free regular coffee as part of my O2 phone contract.

As for a simple coffee maker for the home I can say for those not wishing to grow and roast their own beans with countless hours at their disposal I can thoroughly recommend the unsophisticated Nespresso by Krups with milk frother. :)

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Then, there are the mornings I fancy a stove top espresso. That is when my battered and much loved Bialetti moka pot is fished out and put to work, gurgling on the stove.

after work and weekends =) i buy fresh roasted coffee beans alot and grind them at home. there is a small roaster company here and you can actually make an order on internet before roasting and get them on the same day they roast those beans. So fresh and delicious!

i drink coffee alot and for regular coffee, Moccamaster is the coffee maker to make great coffee...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It takes me 5 min to roast a batch of beans. ;)

Well, to be honest, I doubt that I will ever get into roasting my own - at least, not until my days of endless traveling are done, and I have a permanent residence (with the necessary adjustments done).

These days, I live out of a suitcase for months on end, and damned glad I am to have a filter cone and/or French Press and tins of coffee…...

(The Chemex - when ordered, welcomed and used, - will not be part of a travel kit, either.)

Now, however, I will admit that this splendid thread has opened my eyes to the importance of (sometimes) grinding your own coffee beans.

Last edited:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Significantly longer than my method but I take your point. I have no idea where to buy coffee beans where I live.?

To each their own!

If you were asking about where to buy unroasted beans, I could recommend a great place in the US, but unfortunately I'm not sure for the UK.

----------

Well, to be honest, I doubt that I will ever get into roasting my own - at least, not until my days of endless traveling are done, and I have a permanent residence (with the necessary adjustments done).

These days, I live out of a suitcase for months on end, and damned glad I am to have a filter cone and/or French Press and tins of coffee…...

(The Chemex - when ordered, welcomed and used, - will not be part of a travel kit, either.)

Now, however, I will admit that this splendid thread has opened my eyes to the importance of (sometimes) grinding your own coffee beans.

Regardless of the magnitude of time commitment, I can appreciate that someone wouldn't want to go down that rabbit hole. :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
To each their own!

If you were asking about where to buy unroasted beans, I could recommend a great place in the US, but unfortunately I'm not sure for the UK.

----------

Regardless of the magnitude of time commitment, I can appreciate that someone wouldn't want to go down that rabbit hole. :D

Actually, it is not just about time constraints and commitments. It is also about one's accommodation, namely the nature of the relationship with one's principal primary private residence and so on. In other words, one can make major adjustments when one owns, but are less likely to be able to do so without consequence when one rents.

My understanding is that roasting your own does not just require time, and patience, and practice (all of which are sometimes in short supply) but also some sort of chimney to deal with the smoke extraction.

Now, I'll admit to being somewhat curious about that; are the normal fan extractor fans hoods which one finds over many modern ovens sufficient for this requirement?

Last edited:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Actually, it is not just about time constraints and commitments. It is also about one's accommodation, namely the nature of the relationship with one's principal primary private residence and so on. In other words, one can make major adjustments when one owns, but are less likely to be able to do so without consequence when one rents.

My understanding is that roasting your own does not just require time, and patience, and practice (all of which are sometimes in short supply) but also some sort of chimney to deal with the smoke extraction.

Now, I'll admit to being somewhat curious about that; are the normal fan extractor fans hoods which one finds over many modern ovens sufficient for this requirement?

Yes you're correct, naturally it's more than just time commitments. Other circumstances could get in the way.

So, as you probably recall, I'm a DIY roaster, and I've repurposed an air popcorn popper for coffee roasting. It doesn't produce very much smoke at all. In my modestly furnished apartment (my espresso machine is worth more than the provided refrigerator, seriously), I do manage to have a hood that vents sufficiently. As long as it doesn't simply blow back into th kitchen (some do this and aren't 'real' hoods), you'd be fine.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Best Coffee Maker

Wow, I'm a coffee lover and I didn't know there was that much detail involved in it. Normally I'm good to go with a cup of Folgers or any brand really. After reading through this thread I feel like I've been missing out.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Wow, I'm a coffee lover and I didn't know there was that much detail involved in it. Normally I'm good to go with a cup of Folgers or any brand really. After reading through this thread I feel like I've been missing out.

Yeah there's a lot better coffee out there, and far superior ways to make it. :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Ah, well, as I am from Europe, we do not have Folgers, and so I cannot adjudicate on it with any degree of knowledge (or possibly, objectivity) but we do have Nescafe, which has been a staple feature of many a shop, canteen, and some rapidly modernising countries. Personally, I do not drink Nescafe, in any shape or form.

However, I think my compadres and fellow dwellers on this and the other coffee related threads will happily tell you that should you choose to migrate from Folgers, (or its stablemates) you may well be in for the treat and journey of discovery of a lifetime…...

Last edited:

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
Best Coffee Maker

Yes, Folgers is your garden variety coffee found in every grocery store in America, nothing special about it, just easily attainable. I have a single cup maker, brand I know not as it was a birthday present some years back and it gets used daily.

So where do I start from here? Do I start with a better machine? Beans?

I'm more of a dark roast kind of guy with a hint of hazelnut.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Yes, Folgers is your garden variety coffee found in every grocery store in America, nothing special about it, just easily attainable. I have a single cup maker, brand I know not as it was a birthday present some years back and it gets used daily.

So where do I start from here? Do I start with a better machine? Beans?

My suggestion is to get a hand burr grinder and a french press. It's a very simple and cost effective set-up. And for beans yes you'll want stuff that's fresh (like less than 2 weeks old)

This is what I use for a grinder: http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Ceramic...8&qid=1420569649&sr=8-4&keywords=burr+grinder

I think it's the best thing on the market without spending a lot of money for an electric grinder. It's difficult for electric grinders to obtain the proper torque without burning the beans.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My suggestion is to get a hand burr grinder and a french press. It's a very simple and cost effective set-up. And for beans yes you'll want stuff that's fresh (like less than 2 weeks old)

This is what I use for a grinder: http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Ceramic...8&qid=1420569649&sr=8-4&keywords=burr+grinder

I think it's the best thing on the market without spending a lot of money for an electric grinder. It's difficult for electric grinders to obtain the proper torque without burning the beans.

Even easier, my recommendation to Dontazemebro would be to start with (fresh) very good quality pre-ground coffee, sourced from a good local roaster, the sort of place that cares about quality and freshness, and a nice, French Press. That is fool proof, and will guarantee you consistently good coffee, as well as slowly corrupting your taste buds so that they will not accept anything less.

Then, when you have decided that this is how you like your coffee, graduate to a decent (by which, I mean a burr grinder) grinder and buy your coffee as beans rather than pre-ground.

Last edited:

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
Best Coffee Maker

Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys, that Burr grinder is much cheaper than I expected. I'm not aware of any local roasters, but I'm sure a quick google search would reveal some in my area. I think I'll try the pre ground approach since I have no grinding knowledge myself and go from there.

In case I can't find a roaster, are there any commercially known brands that you would recommend?

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys, that Burr grinder is much cheaper than I expected. I'm not aware of any local roasters, but I'm sure a quick google search would reveal some in my area. I think I'll try the pre ground approach since I have no grinding knowledge myself and go from there.

In case I can't find a roaster, are there any commercially known brands that you would recommend?

You can find stuff like Illy at some of the grocery stores. I think if you did a scouting report and told us what you found at the store we would be able to recommend something.

The burr grinder that I suggested doesn't require any specific knowledge. But I agree with Scribe that you should start with the French Press and then get the grinder later. I suggest it only because it's the best thing you can get without spending a significant amount of money for a good electric grinder.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Standard coffees which can be found (in packets or tins) almost anywhere include LavAzza and Illy. Personally, I prefer Illy, but when working abroad have been pathetically grateful to be able to locate a packet of LavAzza at an outrageous price.

In the US, you seem to have access to a number of quite excellent coffee companies, who will roast (and possibly grind) and ship or mail or send to you. Many on these fora swear by 'Sweet Maria's'. Personally, I am a fan of Intelligentsia Coffee, whom I have always found to be professional, swift and courteous. I am sure that others will have other recommendations.

Last edited:

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
I feel so silly. I had to go look up French Press

Nope. If you don't know, you don't know!

How it works, is once the beans are ground you put them in the glass tube. You then pour nearly boiling water in, let rest for 4-6 minutes (although I think this varies depending on who you ask), and then push the plunger down and pour. And enjoy. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.