Best Earbuds For $100?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by blairh, Oct 29, 2011.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Curious what you guys recommend for earbuds with a max budget of $100. My S4's broke again (second time in 12 months) so please no Klipsch recommendations. I listen to a variety of music including hip-hop. Also needs to have silicone tips. Thanks.

2. njgeek macrumors regular

3. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I don't like the fact that you have to wear them over your ear.

4. njgeek macrumors regular

Hmmm...do you have problems with IEs falling out? If so you need something with hooks, loops, or over ear. Let me know.

5. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

People tell me the bass is underwhelming.

----------

Nope, no problems with IEs falling out. I used the S4's running straight down from my ears with no issues.

Anybody familiar with Ultimate Ears 500s or 600s?

6. cmoore49 macrumors regular

7. greganpace, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

greganpace macrumors regular

I tried a pair of cheap Skull Candy's a while back (like $40) and fell in love. They have a lifetime warranty, so when they went out a couple of months ago (after two years) I sent them in and they send out a voucher that I put towards a pair of Heavy Medals ($80) and they are the nice. good bass, clear, and I can wear them for hours without making my ears hurt.

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/heavy-medal-chrome.html

8. njgeek macrumors regular

Don't know on the Ultimate Ears though they make some decent products. Have you tried the gaudy but decent monster turbines?

9. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I like those a lot. Amazon is the only place I've seen them for less than $100 and they are temporarily out of stock. I could wait to see when Amazon will sell them again.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

11. Surely Guest

Surely

I've read some good things about these, including here, and they will probably be my next earphone purchase:

Logitech Ultimate Ears 600vi

I currently use a set of UE 220vi's, and love them.

12. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Etymotic HF-3. Best headphones around that price plus they have mic and 3 buttons. Can find on eBay for around 100$.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I prefer Etys but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone that mentions listening to bass-heavy music such as hip hop. Be sure to read the OP and not just recommend what you prefer/purchase without any thought to the preferences of the person making the request.

It't not exaggerated but I guess it's 6 one way and a half dozen the other. :D

Best is always highly subjective, regardless of topic. See my first comment above.

14. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Someone didn't read my initial post.

Suprised no one bothered to comment on my other post regarding angled connectors and how I think they are prone to breaking. I want earbuds with a straight connector.

15. rookiezzz macrumors regular

Bose MIE2i/IE2, I sometimes forget that I'm wearing it, it feels so comfortable!!

16. bl00per macrumors member

17. njgeek macrumors regular

While I agree the Klipsch S4i is great the OP distinctly said he's not interested in any more Klipsch.

18. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I never realized how many people fail to read the OP. This thread is an eye-opener.

19. Epiphron macrumors regular

Just out of curiosity, what broke that you'd never trust klipsch again?

20. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Read my original post.

21. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Bose are good but very bass heavy. I myself listen to a lt of different music (minimal hip-hop) and I like a decent amount of bass but the Bose can be a bit overwhelming in that respect.

For example: If I'm listening to Queen's "Another one bites the dust" the base is perfect and welcome. If on the other hand I'm listening to Coltrane or Miles the base can be a bit much for that type of music where it wasn't meant to be so pronounced.

So the truth is, it's subjective to each listener's tastes. But if you like more bass than the average person and listen to hip hop a lot you might love the Bose.

22. keithsweatshirt, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

keithsweatshirt macrumors newbie

These are a little under budget, but I can't vouch for them enough. They're from this brand called MEElectronics and I've got several of their in-ear monitors. They're really quite good. You can find a lot of talk about them on Head-fi and other places too.

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-A151-BK-Balanced-Armature-Headphones/dp/B004OBZ2XQ

The HiFiMan RE0 is another well-regarded headphone.

http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=38

Honestly, any of these earphones are gonna make you more than satisfied, I feel.

23. hcho3 macrumors 68030