OS Neutral Best Final Fantasy

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by WhiteKnightMac, Jul 9, 2017.

1. WhiteKnightMac macrumors newbie

WhiteKnightMac

In your opinion,
    • Which is the best Final Fantasy game that you have personally played?
    • What system is best for that particular game?
    • How do you play it today? i.e Steam, OpenEMU, Console.

2. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

1. Final Fantasy VII
    2. I have only played it on PS1
    3. I do not play today but if I did it would be under Bootcamp or OpenEMU, unless
    I could find my PS1 in the back of the cupboard.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

1. Final Fantasy VIII
    2. Windows I guess, as that port has better graphics and more features.
    3. I've never owned a Windows machine, nor a Playstation (I borrowed one back then), so I don't.

4. Naiera macrumors newbie

Naiera

Final Fantasy VII is probably my favourite game ever.

The PS3 is the best system for PS1 games, period. Even if you have a retro scaler, like an XRGB mini, the PS3 is the best upscaler for PS1 games. (well, maybe the PS4 is better)

I don't play it today. Too many other good games to play. Just finished Mass Effect: Andromeda and moved on to Persona 5. I'll buy a SNES Classic Mini and hack Chrono Trigger on there, if possible. (it's OK, I own the game on the original SNES and the Nintendo DS :)) Hopefully that's my next RPG, as I've only ever finished it once, and consider it the, objectively, best JRPG ever.

5. wirefire macrumors newbie

Final Fantasy VII

Played on PC with high res texture libraries. (PS1 graphics were cool in 1995, in 2017 they are painful to watch.)

The new games are too complicated, too much focus on "scenarios" and quests that play like WoW, Skyrim, and Everquest. I loved that VII was open world but had a clear defined chain of events. XV has about 100 side quests, you can spent 30 minutes playing pinball in a diner for basically nothing. It is too much "off topic" material. VII is loved for its story. Traditional clear cut good vs evil and heart wrenching events. And the power that ultimate good and evil represent in Meteor (total destruction) and Holy (Protection / salvation). Just enough Sci-Fi (Jenova) mixed with technology similar to earth. (Rockets, mako (nuclear) reactors, guns, trains, motorcycles.) And their magic system is still the best one they ever came up with (I like VI's as well)