Best Headphones for Iphone Or Ipod

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cuteoz, Jun 13, 2011.

1. cuteoz macrumors newbie

Dear Everyone,

I have conducted a research for the best earphones and there seems to be mixed reviews. I know this question has been asked many times but the real answer is that there are way too many old posts recommending shure e2c's or e3c's to the fashion frenzy diddby beats to beats by dre...

Currently there are many reviews suggesting the best earphones in ear ones that people could buy some being extremely expensive to moderate priced.

I have some philips headphones and those headphones are really loud with some clarity plus its like 10 dollars.

Many people say that theres no point of spending 100 dollars on a pair of earphones when there isnt any difference as par the sound goes.. But I beg to differ.

Anyhow what do you think..

The best headphones people talk about currently are

Shure SE215 Released 2 months age.. very positive reviews.

Klipsch Image S4 Positive reviews but a bit old

Etymotic research a few models

Skull Candy

Bose IE2 (not many good reviews for the price)

What I dont understand is that these reviewers dont comment on why these headphones are actually good and just claim that they hear better highs or mids or just having a better fit..

What is your input?

2. genexrocket macrumors regular

I've got the Grado SR80i headphones and they're the best headphones I've ever used. I looove them! Just read up the reviews on it and I bet you won't find one bad review about them. They're seriously the best headphones for its price. Stay away from Bose though, they're just overpriced gimmicks, IMO.

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

It depends what music you listen to, and what you want them for.

I use Skullcandy (Skullcrushers and Titans) simply because all my music is bassy and the headphones are cheap. For classical music they would be terrible though. A little info on what you plan to use them for would go a long way to help people advise you in the right direction.

Also, these guys would probably be way better to ask for headphone advice: www.head-fi.org/forum/

4. cuteoz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello

Thanks for your message, actually I did go to that forum as well but they dont have many good reviewers...

As of for the Grado, They do have good reviews.. Im sure they are really good for you as well.. But why are they good? have you listened to shure or other brands???

I listen to all kinds of music, classical Hip hop, r n b, rap, pop..

So the overall best earphones should win the deal

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

What's your spending limit?

6. reil macrumors newbie

so i have had a few earphones for my iPhone, all with very different signatures.

first thing you need to do is decide what type of sound you like which will vary with the type of music you listen to. also consider the strength of the cable. my friends and i have had a few broken earphones b/c of fragile cables (don't get a superfi5, the cable is weak).

some impressions of stuff i've owned
    etymotic hf2: clinical sound, not fun or exciting but has great clarity. the cable is a bit fragile (i'm on my second pair), so i went for something cheaper for day to day stuff. has been updated to the hf3 now with volume controls.
    meelec m6p/m9p: has huge quality issues, not going to buy anything from this brand again. bloated bass.
    jays a-jays four: tried a few tips, never could get a good fit so it never sounded too good to me. the cable never tangles and is pretty durable though. nice remote.
    woodies blues: omg the bass, has more low end than any of the previous headphones except the m6p but doesn't sound bloated like the m6p does. this is my current day to day pair, has weak highs, works well with the type of music i listen to. this and thinksound are the two companies that have wood earphones.

some other thoughts, i was considering was the nuforce 700m and i almost got the s4i but there are numerous reports of it having a fragile cable, which the s5i is supposed to handle. however, the best prices for s5i are on ebay and klipsch won't honor warranty if you buy from there unless its an authorized reseller. a couple friends shave the etymotic mc3, which they seem to like but i had one compare my woodies and he said the mc3 doesn't have a fun or exciting sound in comparison, so i imagine they sound clinical.

the previous poster mentioned the sr80i, i have a pair of the alessandro ms1 which should be similar and it has an exciting sound but so uncomfortable for long periods of time. also, the bass is so-so.

7. ineedamac macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'd be interested in hearing what noise canceling headphones people are using?

8. Big D 51, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

This can be a confusing process. I just had a thread on this too.

Good luck. I choose Klipsh S4's but I needed a microphone as well.

9. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

10. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

thats just not true...if you are looking for pure sound quality as the only determining factor, then yea, bose isn't the way to go

but the have the absolute best noise cancellation on the market, and I believe their in ears are the most comfortable out there (this is more subjective)...so there are certainly reasons to buy them

11. cuteoz thread starter macrumors newbie

ooh damn lol

So Thanks for everyones comments, there still seems to be some people who are looking for other noise cancelling buds..

More people are leading towards klipsch s4, why is it that it is better than the other brands like UE.

how are the Shure SE215???

I auditioned the Shure SE535, and they are comparable to the 215's, since the 215's are newer maybe they are upto par with the 535?

The 535 costs 499 USD, SE215 99 USD

12. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

i have the shure e3, e4, 530, 535, and 215. they are most definitely not comparable.

the 215s are great - for the price.
    the 535s are wonderful - for a higher price.

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

14. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I am Etymotic fan. I like balanced sound without any colouration (no excessive bass or treble)

I'd recommend the Etymotic ER-4P that sells for about $200 on ebay. There are cheaper models like the HF5 with a similar sound, but the ER-4P have replaceable cords. I have found I get about 6 months of heavy use before they break (always a jack connection) with IEMs.

15. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

16. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I love my Klipsch s4i's but:

1. I'm not super picky.
    2. I haven't really used any other headsets
    3. Big reason I chose them was wanted the microphone and they were reasonabley priced and got decent reviews.

I can say they are pretty durable (I ended up dropping them and they got dragged under a door and in general I'm pretty rough with my headsets).

They sound pretty decent to me.

The earplugs themselves function well as light earplugs (I have to take them out to hear people talkign clearly) which makes it easier to hear your music clearer and you don't have to turn the music as loud to drown out other noises.

I like the remote they came with, it seems to work well.

So those are the reasons I like them.

17. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I've owned the Klipsch Image S4's and they are great for their price. I love them.

However "best" requires you to move up into the thousand dollar range and probably add a headphone amplifier. There's a lot of good stuff out there you may not know about.

You'll want to clarify your budget and sound preferences (i.e. bassy, detailed, etc).

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

tons of great reviews and input on www.head-fi.org it's like MacRumors for audio geeks. :D bte for me I like a-jays 4. I'm not going to say they are the best but there not the worst for sure.

19. afireintonto, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

I suggest you think about what format your music is in before you spend too much on cans. If your music isn't at the very least in 320 Kbps, don't buy anything fancy because you won't be able to hear any difference.
    So, play around with the format you rip your music in, and see what quality you like. Personally, I like lossless, but it's huge files, so I don't always listen to that format.

But as far as headphones go, I like WESC brand. They are pretty decently priced, and have attractive, not just colored circles, headphones.
    This is what I have: http://shop.wesc.com/product/maraca-0004068942

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

I think op is looking for EMI's or earphones not headphones even though that's his title says headphones. most of the ones he mentions are EMI's

21. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

22. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

This. Best headphones I've used.

23. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I use Bose Quiet Comfort 15.

24. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX