Best low profile iPhone 5 case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Captainobvvious, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

I am looking for a case with an eye toward protection from scratches from normal wear and tear. I am not concerned with damage from drops and am not looking for Otterbox style protection.

So I'm looking for a case that is as low profile as possible. I have heard good things about the Case-mate Barely There but I hear the new iPhone 5 case is as thick as the iPhone 4/4S case making the raised lip to protect the screen bigger.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Scratch protection is paramount as I'm looking at resale value but also quality too because with some cheap cases dirt and dust can find its way into the case and cause worse scratches than if it weren't in a case.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

For the time being I picked up a very slim and sleek Rocketfish hard case from Best Buy. I may end up just keeping it rather than get another. Rocket fish is a Best Buy store brand.

3. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

4. Captainobvvious thread starter macrumors 6502

The best part is how manly it sounds... Looking it up now.

Leaves a lot of the sides uncovered.

5. matttye macrumors 601

6. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

7. Captainobvvious thread starter macrumors 6502

8. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I picked up the clear Rocketfish soft case from BB. Never been a fan of Rocketfish as they usually have their name plastered all over it but this one is plain, not bulky and you can see the iPhone through it. Power Support will be making the best case for this device (IMO) but it's not avail until late Oct. I am using this one until then. I picked up an OtterBox Commuter for it and it was way too bulky.

9. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

incipio frequency is what i am rocking. I dont think it gets much better for an easy to find off the shelf unit

10. fireman13 macrumors 6502

Ringke slim by Rearth.

I've been using it since launch day and am really enjoying it. It's extremely thin and fits very well. It's about $10 on Amazon.

11. bsorrells21 macrumors newbie

incase Slider

I was definitely a fan of the low-profile feather initially. However I found it didn't quite hold up and left the front of the phone vulnerable. I got an incase slider for the 4 and loved it, slightly bigger than the feather but worth the added protection. Looking at preordering the new slider for the iphone 5 as I'm typing this.

http://goincase.com/products/detail/slider-case-cl69035

12. ntnwwnet macrumors 6502

ntnwwnet

I've ordered a few from Amazon to try out. These are the slimmest I could find (at least until the Desmay Slight 5 comes out).

1. Apple iPhone 5 Ringke SLIM Soft Feeling Premium Hard Case : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SIN=B00993E8B6&linkCode=as2&tag=6458422537-20

2. Anker Glaze Case for iPhone 5: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SIN=B008WXM43S&linkCode=as2&tag=6458422537-20

3. Photive Natural Slim Fit Case for Apple iPhone 5: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SIN=B0097BZNPK&linkCode=as2&tag=6458422537-20

4. AViiQ Thin Series iPhone 5 Case (sold out :(): http://www.aviiq.com/collections/iphone/products/thin-series-iphone-5-case

5. Slim Hard Plastic Snap-On Matte Back Case for new iPhone5 5TH GEN (this one is the closest I could find to the Desmay Slight): http://www.ebay.com/itm/230851440663

--

First impressions:

1. Not bad, not as thin as the Desmay Slight (the iPhone 4S version). This one's a "soft finish" or rubbery feel. There's also a non-rubbery one.

2. Meh. TPU case paired with a plastic bumper. I wouldn't consider this one slim at all.

3. I like. Reminds me of the Case-Mate Barely There series.

4. [sold out]

5. The closest I could get to an official Desmay Slight. This very well might be what Desmay will release.

13. uberpooter macrumors member

Just ordered one of those slim cases from hong kong. I plan on getting a desmay slight 5 this weekend, but for $4 this will be a good back up.

14. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

15. bobright macrumors 601

I got one too for the hell of it about a week ago, the wait sucks lol

16. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

Incase Snap Case and Incipio Feather are among the best minimalistic cases you can get that adds minimal bulk.

17. imalazeeass macrumors regular

Check out the SGP ultra thin air its pretty sleek!!

18. Sputnek macrumors regular

Spigen SGP Ultra Thin Air Series

Seriously OP, you cannot go wrong with the Spigen SGP Ultra Thin Air + Glas.t screen protector. It's not bulky and I have been using both for about 4 days now. They are really something else.

P.S. I have been shopping with Spigen for my iPad, iPhone 4, and now the iPhone 5 for over 2 years. They are very reliable, and trusted company. They once set me the wrong product for my iPhone 4 (wrong case), but let me keep it and sent the right case at no extra cost via priority mail.

http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/apple-iphone/iphone-5/iphone-5-case-ultra-thin-air-series.html

-Sputnek

19. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I've read reviews that the front of the SGP ultra thin air doesn't have any sort of lip and that it sits flush with the front glass, so offering no protection if it gets dropped or if you lay your phone face down on the table for whatever reason.

20. matttye macrumors 601

Came today, love it :) Can barely see it, it's really lightweight and slim, so it doesn't take away the beauty of the phone.

Well worth the price :)

Not decided on whether to use the screen protector or not.

21. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Do these polycarbonate type cases not scratch your iPhone though? I heard from many people it scratched their iPhone 4 and I don't want that happening to the 5's anodized layer.

22. ScKcBc macrumors regular

got this weird case from my local verizon store last night for $25. I LOVE it. It's the thinnest case I've ever seen that still comes above the screen so if you drop it on it's face it shouldn't hit the ground. It BARELY comes above the screen but it does just enough. i can't find a pic of it for the iphone 5 online though.

The back is a blue mirror, plastic though. Shows fingerprints but other than that its a good case. It says iwalk on the back and "smart unleashed" on the side.

Here it is for the 4. [​IMG]

23. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

24. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

This