Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hadi27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Hi all,

So I recently bought two LG 25UM56 UltraWide monitors for my new table setup. I bought these two in a hurry and I didn't fully research how I was going to use them. Apparently, my late 2008 white unibody Macbook (running El Capitan) can't handle extending the display to two monitors (2560x1080 resolution each).

Currently I can only connect one with a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter at 1920x1080 resolution, which also leaves empty spaces on both sides.

My question is - What is the best performing and most affordable Macbook Pro I can purchase that can easily connect both monitors at full resolution? I want a laptop that won't lag from displaying so much real estate. I've read into the subject and have gathered macbook pro retinas have 2 thunderbolt outputs and an HDMI output. My monitors ONLY have two HDMI input ports each.

Im looking for something under $1200 preferably. I would like something with 8gb(16gb better), i7 if possible, and SSD is nice too. Basically this laptop has to be sufficient for photoshop, light graphic design, and watching/streaming movies (without lagging on the monitors) for the next 3 years.

There's so many variations of the macbook pro and so many little differences in hardware between 2013/2014/2014 that I get lost in what is the best bang for the buck.

Thank You,
Hman

Is there any quad core macbooks available in this price? or 15 inch?

What are some better options than these two laptops? How old is the oldest model I should go and still be able to enjoy the macbook 3 years down the road

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 1.16.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 1.16.20 AM.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Out of the two you've posted, stay away from the top one. Waste of money.

Any Retina MacBook Pro in either 13" or 15" will handle those two monitors easily. Any other machine will need contraptions to make it work or won't work at all.

Other people (in the MacBook Pro forum) will be better with the specific buying advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.