Best Messenger? Adium vs. Fire vs. Proteus?

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
I like adium the most. It's so skinnable and combines all the major IM clients.

I have my duck play the violin whenever I get a new message, heehee.
I also skinned it to look like iChat.

One more vote for the Duck. :D

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Ok well i have never used the others but i really like Adium..it is simple and is super cool. It does what you want and is customizable..

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I have used all three

used fire first for like a month i couldn't stand it, but that was a year or two ago

proteus was next which i used for about a year

now i use adium and i wont be switching back to another

also remember that Proteus costs money for the full features

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
i tried both fire and proteus, but can hardly remember them at all now. for me, there is no substitute for adium. it is hands-down the best, most fun, most easily customizable messaging program available for the mac.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
I have used all three, and Adium is the best. I expected to use Adium till the new version of ichat came out with tiger, but i have come to love it so much i can't get rid of it. To echo some of the other comments, it is the most customizable client out there. It will suit your needs perfectly.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
adium all the way for me, although im still waiting for a good iChat message veiw clone....

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
Wow, I'm kind of surprized at the immense popularity of Adium. I didn't know it existed until a few weeks ago.

Oh, it's so good and open source and beautiful. :D
And if you're part of some super-secret government acency or something 0.8 features encryption.

Kerry Sanders

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Hayden, AL
Adium looks pretty cool. It reminds me of Trillian, which I currently use on my Windows PC. I am going to install it next week when I get the Power Mac. I have not heard of the others, though. Sorry.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
proteus is shareware so its knocked down a couple pegs for that alone. fire is a solid app and has come a long way but it lacks all the cool features and customizability of adium.

adium is a clear winner.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
Kerry Sanders said:
Adium looks pretty cool. It reminds me of Trillian, which I currently use on my Windows PC. I am going to install it next week when I get the Power Mac. I have not heard of the others, though. Sorry.
It's funny how many people are always saying, is there a Trillian for the Mac or something similar, when Fire was out on the Mac before Trillian was released. In fact back then I think the only other multi-protocol messenger was a program called Everybuddy for Linux.

Anyway, I started using Fire with the public beta, and continued to use it through 10.3, but then I got sick of how much it was crashing, so I tried out Adium. I didn't really like Adiums messaging window, I liked the simpleness of Fire's, and I tried lots of skins and never found one I liked. So now with Tiger I'm using iChat and a Jabber account to connect to MSN and Yahoo.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Way back in the days I tried Proteus, Fire and Adium, Fire and Adium was very unstable so I used Proteus for a while. Then Adium X was released, which is what I expect everyone is recommending, and that was just miles ahead of Proteus so I switched instantly and has never looked back...

Another vote for Adium X... :)

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
Proteus is by far the best. I have used Adium and Proteus, and it is clear far more thought and design has gone in to Proteus. Adium is the wrong choice.

Edit: spelling

ebuc

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
Nor'East
Adium

Adium...with ONE reservation

The school I'm attending this server has a proxy which blocks all but port 80. However I try I simply cannot get around this problem. Thus, I have been stuck using iChat for 3 months. To see the full details of my problem go to Adium Forums Problem

Even though a bit off topic, if you have any thoughts on solving my Adium problem, I'd much appreciate them.

So...if I could use Adium, it would be my favorite messenging client without reservations.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
broken_keyboard said:
Proteus is by far the best. I have used Adium and Proteus, and it is clear far more thought and design has gone in to Proteus. Adium is the wrong choice.

Edit: spelling
I disagree... I tried Proteus and it felt rather bloated/clunky and crashed on me. Also, unless Proteus has changed recently, it doesn't have near the same amount of options for customizing your buddy list window. I love the fact that Adium can turn my buddy list into a dock.

Another thing I don't like about proteus is that it uses the free open-source GAIM IM engine just like Adium does, but then Proteus' developer gets low enough to actually CHARGE for the normally free GAIM engine. That *really* sucks.

Besides, Adium is free and Proteus isn't ;) I'll try Proteus again when it's free.