Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I'm also a bit annoyed about 1password moving to subscription but ive gone along with it.

I actually like Key Chain as an alternative and I use it for my less private log ins i.e. forums like this etc.

My Issues with Keychain is

1. how secure is it actually?
2. you can't edit the site names - i.e I can't just call it Macrumors it has to have full website name.. minor issue I know but one that bugs me as doesn't look very neat

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I'm also a bit annoyed about 1password moving to subscription but ive gone along with it.

I actually like Key Chain as an alternative and I use it for my less private log ins i.e. forums like this etc.

2. you can't edit the site names - i.e I can't just call it Macrumors it has to have full website name.. minor issue I know but one that bugs me as doesn't look very neat
I don’t mind the subscription, but I do think they should make it a little cheaper for single users. I have a family account and $1 a month per users is a deal IMO.

what you list about Keychain was one of many things I dislike about it. It’s so hard to look for a login on it as well. The fact it’s not cross platform is a deal breaker for me anyways.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
I used LastPass for years and it was a good service. I switched to 1password about 8 months ago and paid their yearly subscription fee (I didn't consider it was too expensive) and I've been liking it better. But both are good in my opinion.

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
KeePassXC

Supported on Mac, Windows and Linux and the password store format is compatible with the popular KeePass 2.x for Windows. Some decent features including browser integration for Chrome/Chromium and Firefox.

Lack of Safari integration might be an issue for some people.

They seem to respond to bugs reported on GitHub quite fast too. There was a recent version that dropped support for macOS 10.12 which it shouldn't have done, since it was just a point release. They had a new version compatible with 10.12 up in just a couple of days.

Reactions: piattj

evangw

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Ah, I figured it out with 1Password: if you took the 30 day trial mode on startup, you CANNOT buy a standalone license anywhere in the application if you decline the very first time it shows up on the very first startup until your 30 day trial is over. I could not get that first splash screen to come up again short of deleting everything in the ~/Library/ and reinstalling. Installing 1Password7 on top of my 1Password 6 license on another computer has a different set of menu options! Under the "1Password7" menu item, has a spot for "License..." and "Purchase 1Password..." above "Preferences..." "Check For Updates..." etc.

It's not just that "License" and "Purchase 1Password..." are greyed out in the 30 day trial, but they're actually hidden completely, providing only the "Manage Subscription" option to pressure new users into buying what for many users will be a far-more-expensive rental model than their standalone license. The possibility for "License..." and "Purchase 1Password..." appears to be completely hidden from users on free 30 day trial mode except on the VERY first splash screen the very first time—and only the very first time—that the app is opened.

That's pretty scummy IMO. I do like how it has a fingerprint reader, unlike Enpass, but really don't like how well they try to obscure the fact that users can buy standalone licenses for $64, which is the price of 1.5 years of monthly billing or 2 years of annual billing. Yes there are a handful of extra features for the rental model... none of which I would use.

I have nothing against the rental model, but it has to make sense. I rent dropbox, Spotify, Netflix, etc. All of which I love. Even for Adobe, it's OK based on their pricing and what Adobe CC offers and it was worth it to me rather than buying standalone for Photoshop and Illustrator. But 1Password, pushing this rental model so hard for you makes me never want to recommend you to anyone.

lostom

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2010
Keychain is all that is needed. No reason to spend any money.
[automerge]1586022333[/automerge]

Yes using the Preferences in Safari then going to the passwords tab or in iOS under Settings - Passwords & Accounts.
How well does keychain interact with windows and android??
I have no experience with this, so very interested as I have various platforms.
[automerge]1587458217[/automerge]
What's wrong with the built-in password auto-complete system of Safari, which (in conjunction with iCloud and your appleID) is also auto-synchronizing to all your devices?

and if you need an actual app to see and manage these password, what's wrong with the old, and PERFECT "Keychain Access" that manages all Mac passwords for the last 25 years?
Does that system integrate with Android as well? Or any other platform for that matter?
[automerge]1587458577[/automerge]

I do agree with you, but I've stayed with 1P for nearly 8 years now, I like there work and also now they have 2FA built into the app.
It works across multi platforms, horses for courses I guess, whatever works for you.

Last edited:

jayg33

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
Am I the only that was dumb enough not to figure that these two are from the same company? I'm using Nordpass and Nordvpn, and I was downloading it from this place I noticed on the download page that their logos are similar and after two months of using it hit me. I'm living under a f rock.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Keychain is all that is needed. No reason to spend any money.
[automerge]1586022333[/automerge]

Yes using the Preferences in Safari then going to the passwords tab or in iOS under Settings - Passwords & Accounts.
Keychain is 100% useless on Windows, Linux, and Android. Its also useless to share vaults with my wife like I can with 1Password. Keychain also doesn’t have a spot for recovery codes, 2FA (yet), spots for custom settings for routers, and lacks other features. How do you know what is all I need? Password managers offer more as well.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014

I think Keychain is good if one has simple needs, and of course they have to be completely in the Apple ecosystem. I am such a person. I love that I never had to set anything up, pretty much never have to manage anything. Just login once, hit ‘save password’, and from then on it’s just one tap no matter what device I’m using. I almost never need to go into the password manager, but if I do, I like to use the iOS manager, because it‘s more simple and straightforward.
As far as security, I mean who really knows, but Apple says it’s all encrypted and the only key is our own passcode or biometric which is stored on secure chips. But unless you’re a computer scientist or something, I think we have to do a lot of trusting on these kinds of things. Just gotta choose the right company to trust.

Reactions: LinusR

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I have been pretty staunchly a Keychain advocate for years. It has been the simplest most direct way to manage my passwords on the Mac. A couple years ago I lost a Keychain Secure Note in an upgrade process. This didnt sway me, but it did get my thinking about how I would store my credit card info etc digitally going forward. I tried Evernote for a few years, and ended up with an archipelago of data on my Mac - some in folders, some in Evernote, some in encrypted Apple Notes. And this last year when I was shared on an Org's 1Password account to have access to their creds I could immediately tell this was good software. I was moved to try it. I am extremely picky about what software I allow on my Mac and have done the unthinkable and installed all the browser plugs ins and all. I consolidated all my disparate data sources and they are all now secure in one place. I feel really good about my choice. I tried Lastpass on a company a few years ago and it feels so clunky compared to the Mac-ishness of 1Pass. Good luck.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Modern security best practices of unique (and long/complex) passwords and now usernames pretty much rules out my brain, but all the pw manager solutions seem to either incur a monthly fee or are device-dependent (do not always access from my mac or iPhone nor always have ready access to them).

Any other ideas?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You should go back to 1password, I am extremely happy customer and they still do sell stand alone version. If people like me and you continue to buy the non-subscription model we can convince them to keep offering it.

I forgot how to do it, but I think if you download it from the Mac App Store after installation there is an option to buy a license.
I will consider this. At the time I switched from 1 Password, it would have been due to Catalina if I remember correctly. I wanted the upgrade price, but no subscription. I would not have switched if I could have figured a way to accomplish this. Any ideas, anyone?
I have returned to 1Password. I downloaded the app from their web site, (Not Apple App Store) and under purchase options there is a choice to make a stand alone purchase. However, one limitation is that they only let you tie 3 devices together for a joint vault. If you subscribe, this limit does not exist. This is unfortunate, because I have a MBP, iPad, iPhone, and a PC. Since I almost never use it on my iPhone I may disconnect it and use the PC instead.

Enpass works too, but this app is more polished.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I have returned to 1Password. I downloaded the app from their web site, (Not Apple App Store) and under purchase options there is a choice to make a stand alone purchase. However, one limitation is that they only let you tie 3 devices together for a joint vault. If you subscribe, this limit does not exist. This is unfortunate, because I have a MBP, iPad, iPhone, and a PC. Since I almost never use it on my iPhone I may disconnect it and use the PC instead.

Enpass works too, but this app is more polished.

This is most unfortunate, I didn't know about the limit. I guess you can copy the vault and use Vault1 for 3 set devices, and Vault2 for another 3 devices, and so one until you have enough to cover all your devices. It will have the annoyance of having to recopy the vault if you make changes on your main one.
[automerge]1589126458[/automerge]
Modern security best practices of unique (and long/complex) passwords and now usernames pretty much rules out my brain, but all the pw manager solutions seem to either incur a monthly fee or are device-dependent (do not always access from my mac or iPhone nor always have ready access to them).

Any other ideas?

I don't understand you, but you can load 1password vault to anywhere in the web-IIRC-(Dropbox, iCloud) and sync from there. 1Password has an app for all popular platforms out there.

Complex passwords is a myth, its harder for you to remember but not for the computer to break into. The longer passwords are the secure passwords, as a general rule 4 random words are as secure as it gets so something like "SpaceMichaelChinaNintendo". This is a 25 character passwords, will kill a computer but easy for you to remember. You can make it even more complex for a computer by adding breaks like commas "Space,Michael,China,Nintendo" now you multiplied the time for the computer to figure the password by 1000. If it was going to take it a billion guesses now its going to be 1000 billion guesses if my math is right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

icrash

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2006
I’m using SafeInCloud (don’t be distracted by the name)....supports MacOS, iOS, Android, Windows, Apple Watch and Android Wear and has extensions for all major browsers, several sync methods, a fair pricing and no subscription...

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
If you’re in the Apple ecosystem then I’d whole heartedly recommend iCloud Keychain. Doesn’t need any extra app, neither does it require any subscription and is supported natively across all Apple devices. This is a no brainer.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If you’re in the Apple ecosystem then I’d whole heartedly recommend iCloud Keychain. Doesn’t need any extra app, neither does it require any subscription and is supported natively across all Apple devices. This is a no brainer.
What do you do when your chain is corrupt, can't be properly accessed or Apple says you need to create a new keychain? If you rely solely on KeyChain, you may find yourself in a world of hurt one day and can't access sites you need to. In my opinion, it is always good to have a backup of all your information. Editing KeyChain is cumbersome and it can't be modified to save other pertinent information on the same website.

Reactions: AleRod

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
What do you do when your chain is corrupt, can't be properly accessed or Apple says you need to create a new keychain? If you rely solely on KeyChain, you may find yourself in a world of hurt one day and can't access sites you need to. In my opinion, it is always good to have a backup of all your information. Editing KeyChain is cumbersome and it can't be modified to save other pertinent information on the same website.
I’m unfamiliar with these scenarios.
What happens if a chain is corrupt? Do you just create a new password?
Why would the keychain be inaccessible if one is fully in the ecosystem? If using someone else’s computer on a rare occasion, can’t one look up the password with one’s iPhone?
What do you mean if apple says you need to create a new keychain? A new password to access the passwords?
In what ways is editing keychain cumbersome?
And what alternative(s) solves all these issues?
Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What do you do when your chain is corrupt, can't be properly accessed or Apple says you need to create a new keychain?
In all honesty, I never heard of that, and that's not really any different then any other password manager. I could be wrong, but unlike cloud based managers like Lastpass, the iCloud keychain stores your passwords on your devices, so its possible to save/retain any uncorrupted ones.

Personally, while I don't like subscriptions but I'm finding that 1Password checks off all of the boxes for my needs. I had been using lastpass (the free version), but their move to strip multi-platform support on the free tier annoyed me, I get that they need to make money but how they did it bothered me. Doing some research and if I was going to pay for something then I wanted to get the best one, and for my needs I think that's 1Password.

Reactions: lostom

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Personally, while I don't like subscriptions but I'm finding that 1Password checks off all of the boxes for my needs. I had been using lastpass (the free version), but their move to strip multi-platform support on the free tier annoyed me, I get that they need to make money but how they did it bothered me. Doing some research and if I was going to pay for something then I wanted to get the best one, and for my needs I think that's 1Password.

1Password pushes the subscription option heavily but you can purchase a license and use it without a subscription. That's what I'm doing with 1Password 7 on my Mac and iOS devices.

Reactions: MacBH928

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
1Password pushes the subscription option heavily but you can purchase a license and use it without a subscription. That's what I'm doing with 1Password 7 on my Mac and iOS devices.
Of course, they want everyone to go on the subscription model, I opted to do that, for simplicity sake. I like the cloud benefit and I'm at peace with my decision

Reactions: seezar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.