Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
I used LastPass for over 10 years, until just a few months ago, when I finally switched to 1Password. I'm so glad I switched -- it is an immensely better product.

Once LastPass got bought by LogMeIn, it was all downhill. The parent company just didn't run it with the same enthusiasm and forward-thinkingness. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was them dropping support for Touch ID on macOS.

With 1Password, the whole experience feels so much more native, fluid, and performant. LastPass always felt like running Android software on my Apple products. 10 years ago, this was tolerable, and it was such a good product that it was worth any tradeoff like that. But in 2021, LastPass just started feeling out of place and out of date.

Relatedly, I'm also happy to pay subscription pricing for 1Password, to fund AgileBits' ongoing development of this key piece of software I rely on multiple times a day.

pommephone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
I'm using Last Pass. I'm really happy with it.
I've used LastPass for nearly 20 years, but recently (since being purchased by Logmein) it's gone to crap. On several recent occasions, I've been unable to log in on any device, using correct credentials. That's why I'm here reading this thread and looking for an alternative.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
@pommephone I saw you liked a post I made last year in this thread. I just wanted to let you know that I no longer use 1Password. I now use Strongbox as my main manager and Bitwarden as the backup. I know you are reading to garner information to help make an educated decision. I don't know if my post here would matter at all but, I wanted to make sure and give you current information.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I keep seeing conversations about 1Password. About 10 years ago I tried it, and was not impressed. Thus, ever since I've been using LastPass.

I will admit from time to time LastPass can be a tad bit frustrating. Might be time to look at alternatives. After all, I am paying for LastPass.

Ps: I do wonder if I can import into 1Password from LastPass. Has anyone ever done so?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I keep seeing conversations about 1Password. About 10 years ago I tried it, and was not impressed. Thus, ever since I've been using LastPass.

I will admit from time to time LastPass can be a tad bit frustrating. Might be time to look at alternatives. After all, I am paying for LastPass.

Ps: I do wonder if I can import into 1Password from LastPass. Has anyone ever done so?

Reactions: circatee

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
I was in the same boat. I had the same worry. For something so critical and sensitive, I was nervous about migrating between LP and 1P. Let me assure you: the process could not be simpler and more straightforward. I took my time with it, but it went really smoothly.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Since we’re talking about BitWarden, to confirm is it available on iOS, Android, Mac and Windows?

Never looked into it. Hence, my question…

pommephone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
@pommephone I saw you liked a post I made last year in this thread. I just wanted to let you know that I no longer use 1Password. I now use Strongbox as my main manager and Bitwarden as the backup. I know you are reading to garner information to help make an educated decision. I don't know if my post here would matter at all but, I wanted to make sure and give you current information.
Thanks, @Apple_Robert I actually just went with 1Password. Easy import from LastPass. May try bitwarden as well. Why did you stop using 1password?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Thanks, @Apple_Robert I actually just went with 1Password. Easy import from LastPass. May try bitwarden as well. Why did you stop using 1password?
I got tired of the subscription and @cupcakes2000 mentioned Strongbox in a post not long before my 1Password sub was up. I took a look and saw that Strongbox offered the same bells and whistles as 1Password, as I didn't need to share a vault etc. I also saw that I could get all the tech bells and whistles for a one time fee that was less than a 2 year sub with 1Password. The other thing that tipped me further to Strongbox was Mark's quick response to questions as well as timely updates and good information about the various features and security of strongbox. I liked that I could use Strongbox offline. I liked that I didn't have to log into the web to change my master password. I liked that I could have a PIN in addition to Face ID, as an extra layer of Security on iOS. I liked the GUI and how easy it was to find options. I also liked that Strongbox wasn't overloaded with options. There are many other reasons but, those are the main ones I can think of at the moment.

With 1Password, their continued move to more business support and app function wasn't something I needed. I had a non sub licensed version of 1Password I had bought and the amount I used with the sub was still frozen. I emailed tech support 4 different times about it. All I wanted to be able to do was use my standalone version with that same email account. I showed proof of purchase etc. And every reply back was about moving me back to a sub. They even gave me a free year of 1Password. It was clear after 4 emails, that they weren't interested on helping me using the standalone version that I paid for as a standalone version, even after I told them more than once I wasn't interested in keeping my sub. That really soured me and I decided that I can get much more for my money with Strongbox than with 1Password. Granted, $36 a year isn't a lot but, after looking at the pros and cons, Strongbox won. I think 1Password is good software for many people. However, their CS isn't what it used to be and there are excellent alternatives one can use and be just as happy. I could say a lot more but, I think you get the general idea.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Well, I have to say, I do not like this 'secret key' process with 1Password. Even more so, if I have MFA, I don't feel I need a secret key, too. Just another thing to be mindful of, and to place it somewhere I can get to it...

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Funny story: Here I was looking into 1Password.
Then, I decided to perform the Security check on my LastPass, thus updating old/reused passwords, and now LastPass is not updating items on Mac.

Priceless...

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Well, I have to say, I do not like this 'secret key' process with 1Password. Even more so, if I have MFA, I don't feel I need a secret key, too. Just another thing to be mindful of, and to place it somewhere I can get to it...
Well to be fair the name is literally one password. You have to remember one password to unlock all of your other passwords.

Reactions: ecatomb

pommephone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
I've used LastPass for nearly 20 years, but recently (since being purchased by Logmein) it's gone to crap. On several recent occasions, I've been unable to log in on any device, using correct credentials. That's why I'm here reading this thread and looking for an alternative.
To be fair to LastPass and Logmein, I did figure out what's going on. I use various VPN servers, and the app was sending verification emails to a 'security email account' that no longer exists (I had forgotten all about that). Now I have to answer a bunch of questions for them to prove that it's me. Even so, I don't want to have to verify every time I switch VPN servers, so once I get back in I'll cancel the subscription.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Well to be fair the name is literally one password. You have to remember one password to unlock all of your other passwords.
Oh no, I certainly understand that. However, having to 'store' the secret key on the other hand, I am, not a fan...

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Oh no, I certainly understand that. However, having to 'store' the secret key on the other hand, I am, not a fan...

The non-subscription version of 1password doesn't have super duper, NSA, NBA, MLB type key to have to worry about.

Oooooh I see what you're talking about now. I've got the non-subscription version so I don't have that. I thought you didn't like just entering a main password.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
With a free trial, I have just setup 1Password on Mac and iPhone.
Thus far, seems pretty straight forward, virtually the same as LastPass. Not sure I see a real benefit to switching, yet.

I'll give it a few days of primary use...

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
PS: To be clear, does both 1Password and LastPass offer password content to devices if they are offline?
Seeing conflicting things online. Some say that 1Password does, whereas LastPass does not. Hence, my question...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.