best safari ad blocker

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by cryptodude, Aug 10, 2018.

1. cryptodude macrumors member

what is the best safari ad blocker that doesn't slow down page load times and consume a lot of resources?

also I would like if the ad blocker would also remove the collapse/remove the empty space of the removed ads.

any advice?

2. bradley8795 macrumors regular

bradley8795

I use AdGuard works perfectly for me. It does not remove the empty space as far as I’m aware though. It may do it sometimes. But not always. It definitely doesn’t slow anything down though.

3. Lunder89 macrumors 6502

Lunder89

I don't think you can remove the empty space. But I would recommend Wipr to get rid of ads. It is small, unobtrusive and I don't experience any slowdowns on my systems. Where the slowest of them is a 2013 MacBook Air with only 4 GB's of ram.

If care a lot about tracking, Ghostery seems the best do deal with trackers.

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Another vote for Adguard. Works perfectly for me as well.

5. Birkan macrumors member

Birkan

6. Th3odor3 macrumors member

Th3odor3

I use Adware Doctor's AdBlock Master there is a free download through Mac App Store.

7. Appleak, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018

Appleak macrumors member

Appleak

my best ad bocker is Wipr lightweight minimal and strong adblocking while no big ressources consuming, it's still free for mac and paid for ios.

8. Marketh macrumors member

Marketh

9. tosbsas macrumors 6502a

tosbsas

I use 1Blocker X but am kind of worried - those guys took my money and since July 4th they even disappeared from twitter. Weird

10. zakarhino macrumors demi-god

zakarhino

Coming here to also endorse uBlock Origin. Great extension that is very light on resources and is open source. Also has some handy features for blocking specific elements on websites.

11. Éric 69 macrumors member

Éric 69

Adguard v1.5.8 , by far the most effective currently for safari.

12. cryptodude thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the input. I tried AdGuard, Wipr, Unicorn, AdBlocker, AdBlock Plus, and uBlock. My favorite is Wipr. Very minimal, clean, and lightweight. Also collapses the empty ad space. Seems quick.

13. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

cool that you tried a bunch, since ppl generally promote what they use... even if it's the only adblocker they're ever tried.

am using ka-block! & it seems fine, but will try wipr if i decide to try another blocker (i've used a lot of different ones over the years).

14. frou macrumors 6502

frou

I moved from 1Blocker & 1Blocker X to Wipr and am happier.

The 1Blocker developers are pretty unethical. Not simply because they abandoned their app and charged again for a new one which is close to identical. But the new one is actually worse in some ways (reliable iOS <-> Mac rule syncing stopped working).

15. cryptodude thread starter macrumors member

Oh yes and tried Ka-boom too! Pretty much all of them. It's a good one too.

16. ericthered926 macrumors newbie

ericthered926

Ublock Origin, not to be confused with Ublock. If you've got chrome use nano accompanied by nano defender for anti adblock, nano is built off of ublock origin and I wish it was available on Safari.

17. bplein macrumors 6502a

bplein

Take a look at Better Blocker https://better.fyi/

They support only Safari and iOS. They are NOT paid by anyone to unblock (AdBlock Plus has been known to do that for example). The team is husband and wife and they are ardent anti-surveillance advocates, so your payment to them helps support it from that angle, if you care.

18. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Tried many, settled at uBlock Origin. Open source rulez, lol

No problems so far. I am very content.

19. leventozler macrumors 6502

Last time I checked wipr is the only one that uses native api and doesn't track/sell websites that you visit. You can also add the new website preferences button to taskbar to allow ads on websites you choose.

20. zakarhino macrumors demi-god

zakarhino

uBlock Origin does not sell history either and it's free. Nothing against Wipr personally, just wanted to clear up that Wipr is not the only adblocker that respects user privacy.

21. leventozler macrumors 6502

It doesn't support the native content blocking, and it gets access to websites you visit and their content. Some extensions sell that info, so I just prefer the one that doesn't need/have access.

22. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Silently disappearing is not uncommon, especially for the adblocking developers. Lots of them have done that, unfortunately.

23. tosbsas macrumors 6502a

tosbsas