Best site to get 4S back plates

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Undone11091, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Undone11091 macrumors member

What is a good reputable site to buy 4S back plates that are high quality. (exact same thickness dimensions as stock back plate)

Im tired of buying cases that add thickness and cover up the phone. I just want to get a few back plates and a bumper case and switch out the scratched backplates every so often.

2. RA19 macrumors regular

You probably know this already, but be careful with the backplates for the 4S - it's a different fitment to the standard 4. Not as simple I gather.

3. hizzaah macrumors 6502

you should specify what type of backplates you're looking for. stock replacements? aluminum? wood?

I ordered an aluminum and a see-through one from cnn.cn. I believe a few of the threads I posted talk about cnn.cn as a pretty good place to look.

Make sure you order an OEM flash diffuser from them if you get an aftermarket back. otherwise your flash will wash out your pictures

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

From what I've gathered, it's hit and miss whether the "4S" backplates from cnn.cn actually will work on the 4S. Haven't we had a few here who ordered a backplate listed for the 4S that wouldn't slide all the way down?

I'm wanting to order one too, but I'd like to know FOR SURE that the ones they're selling for the 4S actually FIT the 4S and aren't just CDMA backplates.

Has anyone gotten one from cnn.cn that actually fits?

5. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

6. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

7. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

:)

8. hizzaah macrumors 6502

Wow, they've got a pretty good selection there, thanks for the link.

I'm a bit irritated with the customer service at cnn.cn so I'll be looking elsewhere when/if I order more back plates.

9. Kimball macrumors regular

Does it come with flash diffuser? Or would I need to buy it separately?

Edit: Some back plates says "Includes the camera lens, camera flash lens and anti-static sticker.", so I guess those who doesnt, dont?

10. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Great. I just ordered a metal one from sw box. Never even thought to see if it came with a flash diffuser. There is no mention of one on the metal on but there is on the glass ones. :(

11. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

I'm assuming this flash diffuser is important? I dunno.

These are some nice replacements. I was wondering if they're a PITA to install? I'm also assuming that this voids the warranty..

12. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Yeah it's important if using the flash. Without it the flash washes out the photo.

It's really easy to install. Unscrew the two screws slide the old plate out, slide the new one in and screw them back, done it less tan a minute.

If you need to take the phone back just replace the original plate, they will never know.

13. jasko, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

Oh ok, cool. Maybe I will do this. I always wanted to just have a bumper case on mine or rock it naked, but was always afraid that the back would somehow get scratched up or cracked. This would be a good comfort.

Are the ones on this site that look like just straight replacements for the stock ones made of glass also? (unless specified something else like metal / leather)?

I was also reading the form links that were posted above and I see how important this difffuser is. Do they sell this part separate or are there replacement plates that have this already incorporated on it?

14. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Yeah it says what they are made of.

15. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I'm looking at the bevelled back plate from cnn.cn and I have a question. I have a white iphone and I don't want that black ring around the backplate. Where can I get one that has white?

16. mjfan82 macrumors regular

17. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I don't know about white, but on cnn.cn, if it says something in the description about "diamond cut", that means the edge of the plate is silver, not black. I posted this in the other backplate thread from a chat I had with them.

18. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

I purchased a plate from CNN.cn a few weeks ago. Came in about 2 weeks. Good quality, I can see the black apple logo and text wearing off over time, but very solid.

Unfortunately the CDMA version did not fit my 4S. If anyone wants one for CDMA iPhones let me know! I can save you the shipping time.

19. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

20. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I noticed that too. But I specifically asked them, through their online chat, what the difference was between the silver backplate and the silver backplate - diamond cut. What they told me was that the diamond cut indicated a silver border instead of black. I'm pretty sure they just used the same photo for both backplates.

I posted the text of the chat in the other thread...http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13804929&highlight=#post13804929

And the specific post with the chat...http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13804929&postcount=14

21. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

Thankyou for the clarification. Sadly I can't seem to find a bevelled one with a diamond cut :(

22. hizzaah macrumors 6502

The ones that say they include the lense still require an OEM flash diffuser. They're like $2, well worth it to not have the flash mess up the gorgeous pictures this phone can take :) I ordered two to go with my back plates