Best Torrent Client

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tottenham4Life, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Tottenham4Life macrumors member

Trying to download new Top Gear season. What is the best free torrent client? Thanks in advance

2. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you are not allowed to talk about torrenting on this website. please direct your questions to another site - or search google.

4. ahm macrumors member

What if he/she wants to download a free Linux distro or any other freeware via bittorrent? There's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. And torrent downloaders are legal as well.

Utorrent is available for Mac. I use Vuze in Ubuntu too, it's great. Never tried it on Mac but it can't be much different.

Saying WHAT he/she wants to download is the problem though...

5. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

uTorrent is absolutely beautiful. It has a nice lightweight feel but is incredibly powerful. Absolutely recommend :)

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've found Transmission to be the best for my needs. lightweight, full featured and simple.

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I've been using uTorrent for a few years now on both Macs and PC's. I love it.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There's nothing against forum rules being discussed here.

I vote Transmission with uTorrent and Opera as a close second. I think Opera would be the best choice, but that may just be my workflow. I like having my browser be my torrent client also.

9. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

I feel that Transmission lacks the power of uTorrent. Both are very nice and have a very minimal GUI but I feel that uTorrent simply downloads faster.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The two applications basically have the same features, but they are just organized very differently. I often hear "uTorrent does this, but Transmission doesn't" or "Transmission does these things (a), (b), and (c) that uTorrent can't" Nine times out of ten both statements are wrong. In fact I haven't found a feature the two don't share.
    I doubt that very much. That's not really how torrents work.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Transmission force quits and hangs every time you quit the app. uTorrent doesn't. One has a huge memory leak and the other doesn't. It doesn't take a genius to figure out which one is better.

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No it doesn't. There's something wrong with your set up.
    Quit spreading lies and misinformation. Although I've found you're very good at that.

13. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

I've used Vuze, uTorrent, and Transmission on my mac. Transmission seems to be the most lightweight and works the best. Would definitely recommend it.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes i never said that did i. if it were a linux based question to start off with- i would have been fine with it. but since it relates to downloading illegal data, its not right to discuss it here, is it. :cool:

need glasses?
    "Trying to download new Top Gear season." directly from the OP. now what does that indicate? :rolleyes:

if i must vote, i also go for Transmission. lightweight.

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

We know what it indicates, but it is not against forum rules to say what you intend to do with a torrent client, only to ask for torrents and share files.

Just what do you use torrents for? Is everything you download completely legal, or is this a case of hypocrisy?

16. celticpride678

I use Transmission on my Mac and have been happy with it.

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Transmission does hang and have to be force closed from time to time. It hangs just like the last version of VLC 64-bit hangs. There's nothing wrong with my setup but something wrong with you what you call lies and misinformation. It apparently means truth in your world.

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Just like all applications. Although I use Transmission a fair amount and I've never once had it hang or need to be force quit.

I don't understand how you've never made it onto my ignore list before, I've always found you very irritating. Anyway, welcome to the ignore list.

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

he indicated what he will be downloading in his OP post, aka, talking about illegally downloading files. come on - dont be rediculous, you know the rules.

of course i download illegally, we all do. except im not the one advertising it.

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There's nothing against forum rules in telling people that you will use a torrent client for illegal purposes. I will admit it toes the line, but it's not against the rules.

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

heh. maybe i have short toes ;)

22. UpDownAeroplane macrumors member

i use both transmission and utorrent. i prefer transmissions GUI for the most part.:D

23. Mr.T macrumors member

Trasmission no doubt. With it's XML-rpc control it is superior, I have written a perl script to control it from comand line when I'm at work. It's awesome.

24. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I've always used Transmission--version 2 just released.

25. d3r3k macrumors newbie

Was the first piece of software I ever installed on my mac and it will be the last to leave. It was the reason I bought a second mac when my old mac book had to be replaced. Really.