Best Way to Invest $1000 ?

ChefMacDaddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Hi, I have $1000 USD left over and I would like to save that money for a short amount of time (8 months or so) and I was wondering what would be the best way to do so. If I put it in a bank, I would get less than 1% in interest, which is only $10 a month.

Is there a smart way I could safely invest this? I may invest/save an additional $1000 in a month or so as well.

Thanks. I would love to hear your advice or personal experience.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Hi, I have $1000 USD left over and I would like to save that money for a short amount of time (8 months or so) and I was wondering what would be the best way to do so. If I put it in a bank, I would get less than 1% in interest, which is only $10 a month.

Is there a smart way I could safely invest this? I may invest/save an additional $1000 in a month or so as well.

Loan $100 to ten friends at 10% interest.

But seriously (well, although you could make a bit of money doing that over and over again) idk. I'll be monitoring this thread as well for some good suggestions.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
The old asian way of doing business:
Buy something(s) at a very low price that you can sell for a big margin.
Reinvest the profits, and repeat until you get more.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA

By the way, you get 1% APY. That's annual yield. Meaning in a year, you'd get $10.

Yeah, interest rates are very low right now.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
The safest investment is a CD (offered at your local bank) The interest rate on those is higher than their typical savings accounts because once you put the money in the CD it becomes very difficult to get it back out until the term expires. There are usually 3,6,12 month CD's available so look into it.

If you want a higher return than what those offer, you'll have to gamble a bit with your money in the stock market (or other various non-guaranteed investments).

Key is just looking around and finding the option that makes the most sense for you.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008

The interest rate is 1% annually. So even if you compound monthly, on $1000 it's only $10.04. Less than $1/month.

If you need to have access to it in the short term, then there's not much you can do with it besides save it. Interest is only really relevant on big sums, because even with higher rates, you're making a few dollars a month. My savings account makes about $5/month in interest... not really worth worrying about.

Just put in a savings account so you don't spend it. That's about as effective as you'll get, imo.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
actually, the bank is the worst idea, as you'll lose money compared to inflation.

gold, if the way to go, they're not making any more

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If you have any debt, then I would suggest putting the money towards paying that off. If not then, I would just stick it in the bank if you are going to need it in 8 months.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Invest in Apple stocks?
I don't think you would make that much off of it.

Nothing else comes to mind.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
This is the second time I have seen you post this...
Something about this and the OP's signature made me wonder.... LOL
Good point. Catholic hookers and blow? :D

On a more serious note, chances are you could make more than 1% on AAPL over the next 8 months, but it is by no means safe or guaranteed.

That said, if you didn't need the money after 8 months, you could just let it ride, and either catch back up to your original investment (if you lost money) or continue to accumulate. Regardless of how much gold there is or isn't, Apple has a pretty bright future and is a lot more fun to track IMHO.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
actually the bank is the worst idea, as you'll lose money compared to inflation.

8 months is too short time horizon to do anything meaningful.

also, why do you need it in 8 months?

have you maxed out your roth/401k match/403b/529b for the year?

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
invest some of that in a better signature would be my vote.

with limited funds, limited time, you really don't have many options for a safe money building play.

stocks and hope for a long shot, but you still have limited funds, and would be paying commission twice (or more) to get in and out.

cd, savings, or just save it and be happy to still have it still a few months later. best of luck.

lbro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2009
If you have any debt, then I would suggest putting the money towards paying that off. If not then, I would just stick it in the bank if you are going to need it in 8 months.
Definitely. If you have debt, pay that off first.