Best way to protect an iphone 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by miss.manson, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Just look at any of the THOUSANDS of threads asking for case suggestions, and come back when you have more questions.

2. Mr D macrumors 6502

3. viewfly, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Incipio NGP is perfect. Plus a front screen protector if necessary. Also easy to take off and on if you wish to go naked, from time to time. Doesn't lose shape at all.

Otter box is overkill. And you will wonder why you spent the money on a thin device with it on.

4. Mr D macrumors 6502

NGP is basic rubber, you might as well buy an eBay case or run with switcheasy who uses better material.

Otterbox is thick no doubt, but for someone who needs pure protection (which is obviously a lot of people) it's the way to go.

Not everyone needs the thinness of the phone or bought the phone due to how thin it is.

5. tanhm macrumors regular

tanhm

it u don't know what is the best way to protect your iPhone 4s, just go to the store and take iPhone bumper . they are just an accessories and your phone is also your accessory so why are u so serious to protect it ???

6. viewfly, Jan 7, 2012

viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Nope. NGP is a polymer, Next Generation Polymer. A specially formulated polymer far better than the ebay junk. It is a perfect case between super thin ones and the extreme otter box.

Doesn't show fingerprint. Good grip. Solid front lip. Maintains shape with more than daily removal. Cheap price too.

But rubber or polymer both are commonly used for shock absorption.

For 95% of people otterbox is pure overkill. Maybe if you are outdoors in construction. It simply looks and feels ridiculous for most however. NGP will protect for most situations.

7. Mr D macrumors 6502

It's all the same stuff, if you do your research you can find a similar case to the NGP on eBay, which is an ugly case to begin with.

It does sound like SwitchEasy uses a similar material, but it is thinner and holds a better look but still provides protection.

So 5% of people make otterbox one of the top case companies across all portable electronic devices?

Child please.

8. viewfly, Jan 7, 2012

viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

This is too easy. Child's play.

Thin is not important but ugly is?Otterbox is ugly.

Incipio NGP is same as others?Same as switcheasy ?

Okay, then just get the NGP. :)

Walk around and look. Otterbox is not the most popular case. nor NGP.

You don't like Incipio NGP. Fine. It's an answer to the OP. But OP shouldn't be steered to an extreme. NGP-like case is a good case for protection.

9. Mr D macrumors 6502

no point to get NGP with switcheasy is a better value due to the things they include when you buy a case. Do your research.

never said Otterbox was the most popular, said it is one of the most popular.

But to prove a point:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1302406

I'm done.

10. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

11. viewfly, Jan 7, 2012

viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Isn't this ridiculous? I think Mr. D is Done.

But here you go for the OP:

16 pages worth. I went back and forth myself but NGP is my go to case for protection and looks.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1002309

$19.95 with screen protector translucent mercury. http://www.myincipio.com/iPhone-4-4...e-Semi-Rigid-Soft-Shell-Case-314_809-opt.aspx

Or dual pack $15 each.
    http://www.myincipio.com/iPhone-4-4...atte-Semi-Rigid-Soft-Shell-Case-Dual-Pack.asp

Think Walmart still sells them.

12. AndyinAtl macrumors member

I'm a 5%'er:D. As far as looks go i am probably a 1%'er.... It's a tool to me. Unlike my cordless drill (also a tool I use daily and cost a ton of $$$$) this tool is made of glass.

Otterbox Defender has done the job so far.

13. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

Also, OtterBox isn't JUST the Defender. MANY people use the Commuter simply because it's thinner and still offers great protection.

I have a Commuter that I use for my daily case, a Defender for once in a while, and a Griffin Survivor for bad weather as it offers superb rain protection.

So, it really is more about what your needs are rather than what looks better.

OP, most VZW stores will let you try the case on before you buy it, so you can give that a try too.

14. Cingular macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't see how Otterbox Defender is ugly. The newer Defenders do look a bit weird with the new cut out on the front. I have both the NGP and the Defender and are both great cases. But once I got the Defender I never changed cases, I just don't have to worry about getting it scratched.

15. miss.manson thread starter macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

I have the Griffin Survivor and I hate it. Can you guys recommend any really good screen protectors?

16. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

NGP is just a marketing term used by Incipio. The NGP as well as the Switcheasy, and ebay cases are all made of Thermoplastic Urethane (TPU).

Currently all rubber Phone cases are made of one of two materials: Silicone or TPU.

I personally would recommend the switcheasy Vulcan as it includes port covers and screen protector and is much cheaper than the Incipio NGP.

----------

Power Support

SGP Steinheil

Switcheasy Pure

Photodon

17. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Yes NPG is a TPU case. No dispute. But not all TPU is the same. Some are glossy and soft. NGP is denser, stiffer, matte finish. Also thicker.

Silicone is another beast.

Never tried Switcheasy. If you say its the same properties, I believe you.

But that is not the point. Otterbox is overkill (defender) for most. That was the point. And not all synthetic 'rubber' cases are the same.

So NGP or Vulcan. BTW, the price is the same. List $19.95 only difference is little plugs are missing.

18. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

PowerSupport and SGP

19. miss.manson thread starter macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

20. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

21. Mr D macrumors 6502

You must be in denial.

There is literally no point in getting the NGP case, it is much uglier than the SwitchEasy.

Otterbox has 4 different cases, so your generalization is ignorant. Most people don't use the defender to begin with...

They also have an "impact" series that is a skin wrap like the NGP/SwitchEasy cases... however it provides better shock absorption.

Yeah the "only" differences are those plugs... and the extra screen guard.

Child's play :rolleyes:

22. viewfly, Jan 7, 2012

viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Actually, they look the same. Speakeasy Vulcan looks nice.

You are way off topic man.

Anyhow, I never seen the Vulcan, but here is a macrumors thread on NGP vs SwitchEasy Vulcan with a poll. 50/50 % split.

One comment from the thread, post #2:

"SwithEasy Vulcan:

•Less protective
    •Slimmer
    •Glossy feel
    •Shiny look
    •See thru

Incipio NGP

•More protective
    •Thicker
    •Matte feel
    •See thru
    •Matte look

Winner IMO is NGP."

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1069684

So not all TPU is the same. Otterbox is fine. Defender is overkill. Other otterbox's are fine, but IMHO, and that is all that was offered..they are ugly. period. Sorry. Don't be so sensitive. Impact series has only black; NGP has many colors, and many translucent to show the Apple logos. Reviews are not great on Otterbox impact series...graps inside of pocket...Don't like the way it covers the front.

For the price/protection ratio...NGP fits the bill. But it is for the OP to decide what he/she needs.

23. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

As I said in my previous post. All TPU is actually the same. What differs is the designs of the case.The thickness of a case or finish matte/glossy have nothing to do with the material.

FYI The current TPU used by case manufacturers is made in Korea.

24. burnseason macrumors newbie

Griffin ARMORED.

i own it, along with the LifeProof case and 2 otter box defender cases. both SUCK in comparison to the griffin armored case! :apple: