Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that it plans to bring the new visionOS App Store to a developer beta release of visionOS this fall. The App Store will include apps and games built for visionOS, plus it will offer iPhone and iPad apps that are able to run on the headset.

apple-vision-pro.jpeg

By default, iPhone and iPad apps will be published automatically on the visionOS App Store, as most frameworks in iOS and iPadOS are included in visionOS. If an app requires a feature that is not available on Apple Vision Pro, App Store Connect will inform the app developer that it is not compatible and will need updates before it is made available to consumers.

Developers that need to make changes can use the visionOS simulator in the Xcode 15 beta to interact with and test app functionality. Further testing can be done through a compatibility evaluation or at one of Apple's developer labs.

Apple says that almost all iPhone and iPad apps will be able to run on the Vision Pro headset as is. Developers who want to make an experience designed specifically for the Vision Pro can do so with the visionOS SDK. Apps that use the visionOS SDK will adopt the standard visionOS system appearance and 3D content tuned for eye and hand input can be included. More information is available on Apple's developer website.

Article Link: Beta Version of visionOS App Store to Be Available to Developers This Fall

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Will be interesting to see how many devs or studios will actually use the time and money to develop full on Vision Pro apps (and I am not talking about simply having the iPad / iOS app float on a „window“ or whatever it’s called on Vision Pro) when they hardly support Live Activities or the Dynamic Island on an already established device. Don’t even get me started on Apple Watch

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I have so many questions about Vision Pro, the main one being... How Pro is Pro?
Are we talking Mac Pro or iPad Pro? As we know, those Pros can be very different. One is a tool capable of the highest-end video editing, multitrack audio, 3-D animation and motion graphics (amongst other things). These tools can be found in professional studios that bill clients, win awards and pay mortgages. The other is a really nice (and big) iPad. I'm curious where Vision Pro falls on Apple's Pro scale. Time will tell?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I wish this was more Mac and less iPad. At that price I want to replace a MacBook not an ipad.

Can't thumbs up this wish enough. I'm right with you. Even if it could just be equivalent to a Mini or MBair in terms of power, I'd love this plus a simple bluetooth keyboard + trackpad in the "laptop" bag along with an extra battery pack or two... or put some solid battery power (maybe 3X or so the default) for this in a dedicated keyboard + trackpad Vpro accessory... much like people are buying screen damaged MBs now, removing the screen and using them like the old Amiga 500s or Commodore 64s.

One of my great hopes with this product is a "new kind of laptop"... bottom half of the clam not so different at all, top half of the clam offering virtual screen(s) of any size and both "just works" together as if I actually had a MB 40" or MB 50" or MB 60" minus all that aluminum, size & weight. For me, it's quite a productivity drop to go from 40" ultra-wide desktop screen to 16" MB screen when in the air and/or away from home. But this could fully remedy that (and then some) if it works as good as it appeared to work in the WWDC demo.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
This reminds me so much how they made fun of iPhone back in 2006/2007. “No one will buy a $600 phone!” “No one I tell you!”

"No one will want this iPad- it's just a big iPod"

"Why would anyone want a phablet-sized phone? Abomination, developer fragmentation, man purses, pants with bigger pockets, one-handed use, etc" (and, ironically, much of the same crowd now ridicules small screen phones whenever someone shares wishes for them).

"Why would anyone want NFC (pay with phone) when the plastic in my pocket works perfectly fine everywhere?" (along comes Apple Pay and some of that crowd was wanting to boycott stores that wouldn't let them pay that way).

There is a rich history of hating a brand new product right up and into the public launch and then some. Look up the original iPod launch thread on this site. The ridicule & contempt is major. The collective chorus screamed absolute failure, sharing some of the very same reasons slung against this thing. And we all know how that turned out.

Right now, there's a sizable crowd STILL ranting against USB-C replacing Lightning but none of them will call Apple out for already implementing USB-C in iPads and Macs for many years now. Apparently, USB-C is perfectly fine where Apple is already using but absolutely dreadful where Apple is not using it yet. (why do I think that AFTER Apple formally adopts it in that product, it will soon be perfectly fine there too?).

I'm now in the window of just about ignoring the pessimistic extremists about Vpro. If it's not for them, that's fine: not everything is for everyone. If they lack the imagination to see the potential, potential will become reality soon enough and maybe some of them will see it quite differently once all it can actually do is revealed... and expanded on by creative apps.

It seems like it's mostly the same 8-10 guys who seem to have a great passion against this product but jump into every single thread about it like they can't resist following it. I expect a few of them to jump into this thread just anytime now. Since they are so, VERY disinterested- seeing "no point" and "solution in search of a problem", etc, I don't know why they waste their time... but I know they'll join the conversation and share the same bashes. Perhaps they think they can save some of the rest of us from making a terrible purchasing mistake??? Our heroes! ;)

Personally, I have no interest in Apple Watch and thus barely ever dive into any Watch threads because I don't want to waste my time talking about a product in which I have no interest. But those 8 or 10 guys seem to not be able to help themselves when it comes to this product.

I see much potential for a product that can effectively present- in a realistic way- pretty much ANYTHING to what are arguably our two most important senses. I can envision all kinds of apps and services that would make that "amazing." However, if it can deliver one, relatively simple thing that was demoed in the WWDC presentation and seems quite doable in a quality way, I'm sold... even if it can do nothing beyond only that single thing.

Last edited:

PixelsMaster

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
At launch, there might be a handful of truly great apps, designed specifically for Vision Pro. The rest will be compatible iPad and gimmicky apps. The concept is incredible, but shortcomings like battery life and cost are going to be a huge hurdle for market adoption. I hope they continue refining the product and don't let it stagnate; it's going to take a few years.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
This reminds me so much how they made fun of iPhone back in 2006/2007. “No one will buy a $600 phone!” “No one I tell you!”
what the iPhone had going for it is that the world was moving to mobile phones, iPhone rode on that train and then added more ...
VPro doesn't have that "trend", so comparing those two is like onions to cherries ...

I am excited about the VPro and its possibilities, but it will not fly off the shelf a la iPhone ... there were some interesting comments yesterday about use cases:
Apple Claims Vision Pro SDK Downloads Exceeded Expectations Amid Developer Lab Attendance Concerns

Dremmel

macrumors regular
May 25, 2017
I can't see there being many dedicated apps, but hopefully the few that do appear will be top quality and show it off to the max. Is there a way to filter out all the iPhone and iPad apps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.