Better client for Gmail than Mail.app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lieb39, Jan 7, 2011.

1. lieb39 macrumors 6502

lieb39

Hello everyone,

I've been using Mail.app for my gmail accounts for quite a while now - but it seems that Mail just isn't designed for gmail. For example - when I search for a message, each message will appear two or more times (located in Inbox & All Mail, not inc. any labels), archiving messages isn't exactly easy, and deleting messages doesn't quite.. delete messages.

Is there a way to make Mail.app more friendlier towards Gmail accounts or is there a better client for Mac for Gmail accounts?

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

3. Dias macrumors 6502

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

+1

I've been using the new sparrow beta 7 because I was facing the same issues as the OP and I like it so far

http://www.sparrowmailapp.com/

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

As the OP said, I've noticed that I get 2 or 3 copies of each email in Mail. I need something else, but I want something that will store copies of my emails automatically on my hard drive. I don't want access to them just in the cloud.

I recently read about Sparrow. I know it's in beta, it is only compatible with GMail, and that soon it will have support for more than one IMAP account, but does it download emails or just manage them online at Google Mail? I could not locate this info online.

What about the other email programs mentioned in this thread? I assume they download emails to your hard drive?
    Thanks!

6. some1uDNTknow macrumors regular

some1uDNTknow

7. Huntn, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Postbox 2, MailPlane, Sparrow-

1) Do these email clients store emails on your computer?
    2) Are they compatible with other pop/imap clients (other than Gmail)?

Thanks!

8. ufkdo macrumors 6502

Go to gmail labs and start using Advanced IMAP Controls. It's what you are looking for, not another client. (once you enable that feature, you'll be able to select which boxes do you want to sync with imap - from labels menu)

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

With Advanced IMAP Controls enabled, as matkap suggested, unchecking "Show In IMAP" for All Mail would probably take care of your duplicate results.

10. Mik3F macrumors 6502

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Here's from someone that doesn't like Sparrow. Sure it looks great but I can read, write and reply to email a lot faster with Mail.app. It was actually frustrating for me to use and I dropped it after a day (I was using the beta).

12. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

should those i deselect disappear from os x mail or do i have to delete and re-input my account in mail for the changes to show? is there any benefit to showing or not showing the spam folder?

13. ufkdo macrumors 6502

Just right-click on your inbox in mail.app and select synchronize "your account name". The boxes you deselect on gmail will be deleted automatically with this way. As for spam folder, you should decide.

14. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I just use Gmail's web interface. I've tried dealing with apps/clients and it just adds another layer. The web interface is great and it's exactly the same no matter what computer I'm on. Keep it simple.

15. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

How do you deal with multiple accounts?

16. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

sparrow is now at v1.0 in the mac app store. It's great. v1.1 is going to add imap for other services than gmail, it handles multiple accounts etc.

It downloads your inbox, I think the rest it reads off the web. the search is very fast.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I enabled the Advanced IMAP controls. Where do I find the "Show in Imap" to deselect it?

Thanks!

18. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

in gmail's labels setup page

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I selected the label settings page and 'all mail' was all ready selected to 'show'. :confused: Maybe there is something else afoot. Thanks for the help though.

20. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

that's the default setting. set it to not show and it wont show up in your os x mail app then that's what i did:)

21. turbobass macrumors 6502

Do folders/labels work well in it? (i.e not creating a million bogus IMAP folder lables in your gmail inbox when viewed in browser?)

22. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

This is brilliant. Worked for me... Thank you. :)

23. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn