BIG Disappointment in new iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pizz, Sep 9, 2008.

1. pizz macrumors regular

NOt much of a change if you ask me. Speakers were there the whole time, even in the 1st gen. (alerts sounds, type clicks??) Now Apple just decided to turn them up. The volume rockers were needed but they should have been on the first gen ipod touch. Nike+?? Great what if you're not a runner?... a wasted add on.

A built in Camera or GPS would have sealed the deal for me. Cmon.. if every cheep phone manufacturer can build a camera into a dinky phone so can apple include a camera in it's Ipod touch line. I guess i'm waiting till the next update.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you do know that all speakers arent dreated equal dont you

aka the ones that made the click sounds were NOT capable of emitting music and such

3. pizz thread starter macrumors regular

If they had dinky speakers in there already, they have could have easily had better ones in there from the start. The 1st gen case was bigger so I don't see why they couldn't.

4. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

I'm sure most people that purchase mp3/mp4 players do not want speakers. And since that was pretty much the only real thing they have... I'm not interested.

Yea, you go on saying that Nike crap is worth buying a new mp4 player for! I dare ya!

The only real thing it has is a larger chrome back for your scratching pleasure and a smaller price tag. Any a "lolz" goes out to the guy that wouldn't sell his iPod Touch that he got for FREE because he wasn't getting $350 for it. Good luck getting $250 now...

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree and i wish they did have them in the old touch

however, they made the decision not to include them at some point along the line. probably to differentiate it from the iphone

6. pizz thread starter macrumors regular

The only significant improvement is in the price tag. Not worth the upgrade if you have a 1st gen touch.

7. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Why would you want a camera? Almost all phones come w/ cameras nowadays... I guess i can kind of see why you would want GPS, but just get an iPhone if you want that. And the Nike+ thing is a great addition, at least I think so... If you don't like it, don't use it.

8. WordLife565 macrumors regular

I swear people are retarded these days. APPLE IS NOT GOING TO PUT A CAMERA IN AN iPod. its useless, people need to stop trying to force apple into making their iPod touch act more like an iPhone. its useless, if you want a camera and GPS, buy a ****ing iPhone.

I know It seemed like I went a little crazy there, but i'm cool. It's just pretty annoying when people are pushing for features that are useless for iPods, and would most likely just higher the price point.

9. pizz thread starter macrumors regular

It just doesnt make since to build it INTO the touch. It's not something everyone would use. I'm sure many touch owners would have preferred GPS or camera to the NIKE receiver.

10. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I guess so, but it doesn't hurt it in any way... why do you care if it's there or not?

11. pizz thread starter macrumors regular

Why would a camera be useless? That's a stupid comment! People that buy stand alone cameras arent buying them for phone features are they? And GPS im sure everyone can use. I dont think I need to be forced into a contract or buy a hawked iphone to get these features. And mp3 players are becoming more that music players. You'll be hard pressed to find any gadget device now days that only does ONE thing.

12. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I agree. There's a reason you're not paying AT&T (hint: it's the phone part of the iphone). With that said, with all those sweet turn-by-turn apps coming out, a GPS might make sense. I know I'll use the Nike+, but some others might not. Apple has to balance out the features with each product they release, so that there are enough to make the product a fun one, but not too many that it would drive people crazy. They made their decisions; I guess we'll just wait and see whether they were the right ones.

13. hansvon macrumors member

Meh, I would tone down some of the pessimism in this thread. Remember when the iPod touch first came out?

Common complaint #1: "Where's weather? Mail? Maps?" Common Answer: "Be thankful Apple gave us anything at all! Look, we get a browser! And YouTube! If you want it so bad, get an iPhone."
    Common complaint #2: "I want speakers." Common Answer: "It's an iPOD! When have iPods ever had speakers?? If you want it so bad, get an iPhone."
    Common complaint #3: "It needs a camera. And GPS." Common Answer: "Apple would NEVER include a camera on an IPOD. If you want it so bad, get an iPhone.

#1: Resolved
    #2: Resolved
    #3: Not resolved, but my point is, what is stopping them? For all we know, Apple in the next year could say "Screw it, this isn't an iPod anymore, it's an amazing PDA. Let's soup it up as much as we can!"

14. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Hmm. That's a good point. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if Apple decides to put camera and GPS in their next iPod Touch.

15. pizz thread starter macrumors regular

The next logical step for the iPod would be GPS and camera as I see it. It already has gone beyond just being an mp3 player. It's in the realm of full fledged PDA now. Till the next Macworld I guess..

16. na1577 macrumors 6502a

You're probably right. GPS and a camera seem like the most likely path the touch will take. I don't mind waiting a year to get what I really want, at a lower price. :)

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

Why is GPS SUCH a big deal? You people get lost all the time going from work to home?

18. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

I guess you're one hard to satisfy customer huh.

SteveJobs: Why should i put a camera on an ipod ?!
    Customers: We need to use them, duh!!!
    S: Don't you have a phone with camera?!!
    C: My mom can't afford a camera phone for me.
    S: And she bought you an ipod touch ?!

19. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Its only a big disappointment to those who were had high hopes of making the iPod into an iPhone. Those who knew this was an iPod and had expectations of usual iPod updates, we are happy. The 64GB was a lil bit of a stretch since it is still pretty pricey for flash based, next year we might see it.

20. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

I guess some people just have GPS fetish.

21. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Just can't win with some...

You're asking for iPhone DNA in an iPod Touch. Apple did a brilliant job and I will have this in addition to my iPhone tomorrow. The camera is a reasonable request but the GPS is a) Power hungry b) adding girth to the sexy thin iPT.

:ntrigue loves the Nike+ inclusion and already owns the sensor:

22. Tosser macrumors 68030

Haha, there's a LOOONG way before you can claim the Touch to be a "full fledged PDA" :p

23. Francois22 macrumors newbie

I really miss more capacity,... :(
    ssd got so much cheaper the last months,...

sorry, but this isn´t really an upgrade for me,... I don´t need speakers,... I can´t even stand the pupils listening to music loudly in the subway

24. dcbo89 macrumors member

I also could care less about the Nike+ addition as well as the speaker, the volume controls are nice but you wont see me trading in mine, if there had been a camera instead of speaker then quite possibly.

The speakers not bad I just would never use it, any time I would be tempted to use it I would have access to much better speakers making it void, all the other time I have my headphones

and GPS was never going to happen, its also too much of a battery drainer as well.

25. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

exactly. if you want those features, get an iphone. next thing you know, they'll be asking for a built-in nail clipper.