Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Fingers crossed no one gets hurt.

A 2009 report issued by DogsBite.org shows that 19 dog breeds contributed to 88 deaths in the 3-year period of 2006 to 2008. Pit bulls accounted for 59% followed by rottweilers with 14%.
Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period.
The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).
(link)

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
All pit bulls should be put down. Every last one of them. Total extinction.

The country needs a pit bull pogrom.

why? we love to blame the dogs but the owners are usually responsible. Plus pit bull reputation is far larger then reality. the thing is there are more pitbulls then any other breed pretty much. people a lot of times treat them worse then other dogs. news reports don't report other dogs attacking nearly as much

Last edited by a moderator:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Whoever is to blame, stats tell the tale. It does not help that for a long period of time, these animals were bred specifically to fight and kill.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Whoever is to blame, stats tell the tale. It does not help that for a long period of time, these animals were bred specifically to fight and kill.

The problem with the stats are they don't take into account the percentage of pitbulls they are the most popular breed out there and their numbers are higher then any one breed. So you have pitbulls and everyone else.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
The problem with the stats are they don't take into account the percentage of pitbulls they are the most popular breed out there and their numbers are higher then any one breed. So you have pitbulls and everyone else.

Really? Pitbulls are the most popular breed? According to AKC reports, pitbulls are not even in the top 10.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Beautiful dog and looks like a big baby. I would not have him around small children as his sheer size alone could harm a child. Love this breed. Have a neighbor with a red and she is one of the most friendly dogs you could ever meet. Every time she escapes from her back yard, she comes straight to our back yard looking for our dogs to play with.

These are not dangerous animals. That could be said for just about any dog breed out there. It is the owner that makes them bad. Do not blame the breed. As an EMT, I have been charged at by anything from a Chihuahua to a Rottweiler. You just have to remember that a dog is an animal.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010

We've done this in the UK..... Its made no difference whatsoever. People still have illegal pitbulls, and traditional breeds of dog can be just a dangerous if mistreated.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Fingers crossed no one gets hurt.

(link)

What that study doesn't show is whether those pit bulls were used for fighting and escaped from their thug owner's backyards or if they were from loving homes where they were raised from puppyhood. Most likely the former. I have a 6 year old pit who I got from the shelter when he was only 10 weeks old. He's a mush ball who doesn't even bark when he sees a person or animal in the window. He's the kindest most gentle soul there is. If burglars broke into my house, he would be useless to stop them. Neuter and love your dog, and you shouldn't have an issue.

Pure ignorance.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What that study doesn't show is whether those pit bulls were used for fighting and escaped from their thug owner's backyards or if they were from loving homes where they were raised from puppyhood. Most likely the former. I have a 6 year old pit who I got from the shelter when he was only 10 weeks old. He's a mush ball who doesn't even bark when he sees a person or animal in the window. He's the kindest most gentle soul there is. If burglars broke into my house, he would be useless to stop them. Neuter and love your dog, and you shouldn't have an issue.

There have been cases of previously docile pitbulls attacking and killing their owners or neighbors, not previously used for fighting, not abused. I'm sure this could happen with any large breed, but as I said, stats are stats. You could have the mostly cuddly pitbull in the world, but pitbulls are a dangerous breed statistically.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013

All aaronvans should be put down.
Every last one of them. Total extinction.

The country needs an aaronvan pogrom.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
My uncle owned a pit bull and it was the sweetest baby ever. Pit bulls have a bad reputation, but they do have the numbers to back it up (partially).

I do not believe all pit bulls are bad and should be put down. People cause far more deaths annually than pit bulls.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Did you get buy that little guy from Doctor Moreau?

it sure looks like a science project gone wrong.
here is more info on him
Moultrie Colquitt County Humane Society added 14 new photos — with Amy Michele Taylor and 11 others.
Animal Shelter · 10,132 Likes
· January 27 at 7:24am ·

Hi! I'm Rami and I'm looking for my forever home. I'm a year old Dachshund/Pit bull mix. Yes, you're reading that right, and, no, you haven't gone crazy. I'm full of energy. I don't like walking on a leash. I'm a sweetie pie, and love to run. I don't listen very well, so you'll need to take some time to train me. Because I tend to be a bit hyper, I might not be the best addition to a household with little kids. But I'm sure that all I need is a little lovin'. Will you take me home? Call 229-985-5463.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Pitt Bulls look VERY VERY similar to yet another breed of dog usually this breed I'm referring to is stronger, and a LOT smarter and more careful to attack. I'd like to think it's called Stafford Terrier but I'm unsure.

----------

I did not realize they get this big!

YouTube: video

I feel VERY sorry for that woman when this dog gets excited in heat! We may very well see a court case of sexual assault by a dog onto a human ;) lol

J/K, horribly at that.

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans

Amen. Add that the vast majority of "pit bulls" out there are mutts. And nearly any dog with pit like characteristics will be called a "Pit Bull" but most BSL laws. If someone wants to quote the "stats" they might note that well over 90% of all attacks are by un-neutered males.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The ignorance in this thread is frightening, and it's coming from users who usually uncover every stone before making a judgement.

I grew up with Pitsbulls and there is absolutely nothing about them that makes them any more or less dangerous than other dogs of comparable size. Plenty of comparable sized breeds that have worst temperaments than the Pitbulls.

Unless this dog in the OP has some rare case of gigantism(which I don't even know if that exist in dogs), then it's obviously a mixed breed.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
We've done this in the UK..... Its made no difference whatsoever. People still have illegal pitbulls, and traditional breeds of dog can be just a dangerous if mistreated.

The problem with the Program in the UK is that it proved very difficult to identify pitbulls. There are other breeds of bull terriers that were not meant to be included and were difficult to distinguish from Pit Bulls.

----------

The ignorance in this thread is frightening, and it's coming from users who usually uncover every stone before making a judgement.

I grew up with Pitsbulls and there is absolutely nothing about them that makes them any more or less dangerous than other dogs of comparable size. Plenty of comparable sized breeds that have worst temperaments than the Pitbulls.

Unless this dog in the OP has some rare case of gigantism(which I don't even know if that exist in dogs), then it's obviously a mixed breed.

All of the evidence says you are wrong. There are hundreds of breeds that are a similar size that do not have the same reputation. eg Golden retrievers, Ridge backs, Boxers etc etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.