Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am not surprised he admits he prefers Android over iOS, he is like Wozniak, these guys have preference for flexible software and non closed.
The curious thing, i am pretty sure Steve Ballmer uses iPhone after his terrible word about iPhone
Not defending Steve Ballmer, but he didn’t know what he was talking about, ran his loud mouth as usual and I bet you he would admit that behind closed doors that he underestimated the iPhone, because I don’t think anybody really knew what to expect at that point. I don’t think there’s any shame in Ballmer using an iPhone in today’s smart phone era, especially with security being crucial, where android has had far more breaches.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
My wife had a Windows Phone until it ceased supporting WhatsApp, which she relies on at the end of 2019. She chose it believing that it would be easier for her to integrate with her work where everything runs Windows. It is now defunct, completely.

I had a Samsung mini Galaxy until the end of 2019 because it was cheaper than an iPhone but I hated it, and I hate everything G?gle.

The wife now has an iPhone 11 and I have an iPhone 8. We're both very happy and would never use anything else.

"People don't pay for the software [in China]. Someday they will, though. And as long as they're going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.

They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade."

- BILL GATES, explaining Microsoft's Chinese strategy

Last edited:

macLifestyle

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
Kansas City
TBH, if you reside in a Microsoft-only world, why bother with a system that requires you to have additional accounts?
An Android phone can be used without a Google account on it, try using an iPhone without an AppleID... oh, you can't even get into the bloody phone without it!
You can. Just hit the “skip” button during setup. You can easily get into the phone without an Apple ID. However, if you want to download an app from the App Store or Google Play store you will have to have an Apple ID or Google account respectively. They are equal in that respect. :)

Wimpie

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2021
Not defending Steve Ballmer, but he didn’t know what he was talking about, ran his loud mouth as usual and I bet you he would admit that behind closed doors that he underestimated the iPhone, because I don’t think anybody really knew what to expect at that point. I don’t think there’s any shame in Ballmer using an iPhone in today’s smart phone era, especially with security being crucial, where android has had far more breaches.
He did admit that his comments on iPhone were wrong and did it in public as well: https://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/07/former-microsoft-ceo-steve-ballmer-wrong-iphone/

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
doesn't even make sense.

• Set Bing as default search engine? - no problem
  • Make Outlook default e-mail app? - no problem
  • Make mobile edge (is that a thing?) default browser? - no problem
  • Integrate one drive? - no problem
I would say the Office Apps are also far better optimised and integrated on iOS than Android.

Clearly he is just too lazy or hasn't used an iPhone much

Oh yes no problem at all.

As of a few months ago....

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
If I recall correctly, Bill Gates once said that he greatly admired Steve Jobs, but mainly for all the things he simply didn't quite get or understand. So his preference for clunkiness and limited taste is appropriate here. Bill Gates is just one of those people that enjoys using more complicated things. I think it gives him an heir of superiority or something.

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
TBH, if you reside in a Microsoft-only world, why bother with a system that requires you to have additional accounts?
An Android phone can be used without a Google account on it, try using an iPhone without an AppleID... oh, you can't even get into the bloody phone without it!
nobody tell him

• Haha
Reactions: iGüey

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Do we know which Android phone, he owns?
Pretty sure its something like Samsung Galaxy Note

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
doesn't even make sense.

• Set Bing as default search engine? - no problem
  • Make Outlook default e-mail app? - no problem
  • Make mobile edge (is that a thing?) default browser? - no problem
  • Integrate one drive? - no problem
I would say the Office Apps are also far better optimised and integrated on iOS than Android.

Clearly he is just too lazy or hasn't used an iPhone much
I’d agree that they’re generally better but if android offers better integrations (as he claims) I can see why that would be hard to beat.

Reactions: blicked

rwalle

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2020
Better question is why would anyone care what Bill Gates' preference is?
Simple. He is famous. He is one of the founders of a huge company that competed (if you do not mind the word) in this area. It is a topic that is discussed a lot. (All these seems obvious.)

You may not care, but given the coverage and the comments under the coverage, I am pretty sure many people care. Just like so many other news articles.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
He did admit that his comments on iPhone were wrong and did it in public as well: https://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/07/former-microsoft-ceo-steve-ballmer-wrong-iphone/
Those are weird comments, though.

"I wish I had thought of the model of subsidizing phones through the operators. People like to point to this quote where I said the iPhones will never sell. Well the price of $600 or $700 was too high"

But the price clearly isn't too high, since Apple, Samsung and others have no problem selling $700 phones. Oh and, Microsoft has a $1,400 phone. Weird, huh?

" and it was business model innovation by Apple to get it essentially built into the monthly cell phone bill."

Wha? Subsidizing phone pricing wasn't something Apple came up with. It was very, very common at the time.

"I would have moved into the hardware business faster and recognized that what we had in the PC, where there was a separation of chips, systems, and software, wasn't largely going to reproduce itself in the mobile world,"

But arguably, exactly that did happen in the Android world. Just not for Apple and (again, ironically) Microsoft.

averagenerd81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2020
Out there man
Or maybe he’s reached the age where he doesn’t care anymore. He just use whatever works for him.
This is what happened to me but with the iPhone. I used android for years and just got tired of it. The iPhone just works better for me and I’m used to it. It’s good to have choice.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
For years we've witnessed what money and PR can do for image. Next in line will be Zuckerberg. In 20 years people will view him as a gift to mankind.

• Haha
Reactions: iGüey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.