Bill Maher on the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zas, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

<3 Maher's humor, delivery, and democratic values he preaches.

Can't seem to view the video though for some strange reason :confused:

2. zas thread starter macrumors member

Ah sh!! :(

Maybe someone will find the correct link.

3. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

No, the link you posted is fine :)

Just something wrong on my end.

Thanks for posting it, I'm sure I'll enjoy it once I get it to work.

4. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

5. lordofthereef, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I laughed at a few of those. Clearly satire with a bit of truth mixed in, as is the case with the best satire.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

7. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

I agree to a point - Apple, although it is still heavily in the lead with the processors, has shown very marginal improvements to justify forking over $900+ for a new phone. If you are someone who has a 5s or older, then yes - this phone is a great update. If you have something newer, then I question why you really need to buy a phone so soon when your phone: 1) Has the same form factor, 2) Is still very fast, and is faster than any other Android phones on the market, 3) Still has the same iOS update cycle as the 7/plus, and 4) Has a headphone jack (Yes I won't let go of this joke yet).

Arguments can be made of, "Well duh - customers don't have to buy it if they don't like it." But when has Apple fallen into this sort of thinking? Weren't they the ones who made customers point fingers at OTHER phone manufacturers to up their standards? Now it's Apple that's fallen behind in a lot of aspects - they JUST got water coating, still NO wireless charging, using a LIGHTNING port instead of the universal USB C, mediocre 720/1080p displays, mediocre battery sizes relative to what is the norm of the phone ecosystem, mediocre voice assistance compared to Google's, and a lukewarm music service that is Apple Music.

TL;DR - If you got a pretty old phone, yeah, the iPhone 7 is a justifiable upgrade. But for everyone else, unless you have a valid reason (ex. phone broken, etc.), then you're feeding into Maher's criticism - buying into the hype machine, and coming out only to satisfy the board members and stock holders. Apple's direction with the iPhone is very safe, and unimpressive.

8. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

That's not really the iPhone 7 that he's criticizing, thread's title is misleading.

And yes it's funny! :)

9. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

Well said.

The forum flamed me when i said not to buy into the hype .

The iphone 7 isn't worth $400 to rent for a year.

Just wait it out for the new iphone 8.

10. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I've been seeing some weird "words" in your posts today. What's up?

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Haha. Posting from my iPhone today lol. I often tap "n" instead of space bar for whatever reason. I guess my right thumb isn't going far enough down at times. And I guess autocorrect isn't catching it.

12. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

He makes a valid point. Phones from the last few years are sufficiently good that we should question why we need to update them so frequently. And if the answer is self-image there's some deeper questions that may be worth asking.

13. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

I watched this on Friday and laughed. I found it funny, and somewhat true.

For me, I upgraded from a 6s+ to a 7+. I really like the new 7. I love the dual camera set up so far, and other improvements are impressive to me as well. I have a two year old, so water resistance is great. The stereo speakers are a huge upgrade. I love the screen on this thing. It's great in all conditions, but in bright outdoor conditions it's the best display I've ever used/seen, hands down.

Overall it's a superior experience to my 6s+, and I'm also a huge fan of the new matte black color.

I've got two small kids, so my excess income isn't really going to big trips, elaborate date nights, etc. I like tech, and it's accessible (and really useful) to me at this stage in my life. Did I NEED the 7? Not at all, but I like it, so why not.

That said, Bill does nail it here lol.

14. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I love it when highly paid gas bags tell me what I should spend my money on or how I should think. He's funny at times but it's the whole I'm smarter than you elitist attitude that puts me off. If people didn't find value in the new 7 then none would have been sold. Obviously he is wrong and I bet he got one, probably for free.

15. ZipZap macrumors 603

16. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Bill is an idiot, a hater, a whack job and a funkball.

17. Dented macrumors 6502a

There's a lot of truth in what he says and I think it's gradually starting to dawn on people - certainly it's got me thinking lately. There's another interesting take on it here -

http://www.digitaltrends.com/opinion/the-best-smartphone-is-the-one-you-already-own/

I was an early adopter of smartphones pre the iPhone, I remember well the early excitement about what might be possible with the quite flawed but almost brilliant prototype gadgets in the early years, the leaps forward with the first iPhones (it was the 3G and the invention of the AppStore that brought me on board) and there's been the steady successoin of improvements since, but.. somewhere along the way, really, what the smartphone needs to be has really been achieved already. We've gone from prototypes to viable products to basically perfected appliances and now we're out the other side of that curve, with Apple and others still trying to innovate by just doing more of the same, and us consumers trying to get excited that our already fast enough devices have gotten a fraction faster, and our OK cameras are a touch more ok, and making like anybody ever looked at a last year's screen, or even the one before that, and thought "geez that needs some more gamut.."

At some point along the line all this is going to stop, because even the most habitual upgraders (like me) are going to realise they no more need a new phone every year than they need to annually upgrade their washing machine or their food processor. The phone's in all our pockets already do everything we could ever genuinely need them to do, perfectly, and will carry on doing that for years until they break. That's the only really sensible time to get a new one, as bad news as that may be to Apple's bottom line.

18. Oridus macrumors 6502a

My valid reason is I want it. I also have the AT&T next program. Therefore I purchased it. I also ended up making $150 back off my old phone since I paid off my remaining installment of $300, and sold my old phone for $450. Paid for my sales tax plus screen protector and case. My rate plan is still cheaper than the days of two year contracts... so who cares what anybody's criticisms are? Anybody who criticizes my purchase decisions thinks can stick it, as they're my decisions.

TL;DR: I wanted it so I bought it. Eff everyone else.

19. wwohl macrumors regular

20. laudern macrumors 6502a

The only thing which has amazed me about the iPhone is how the outright price has steadily increased, yet more and more people still buy it. I have an iphone 5 and cannot justify spending AU$1100+ on a machine which runs the same os but does things a bit better.

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

The problem with this argument is that "worth" varies from person to person. Some people spend $400 (and a lot more) on a dinner out, or a single event. And I'm not just talking about absurdly wealthy people - even middle class folks may dedicate that kind of money to something that they really value. Is $400 an absurd amount to spend on a meal once a year, or football tickets, or designer clothes, or a modest phone upgrade? Reasonable minds can differ.

22. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

The problem is that whenever anything becomes too popular it then becomes 'cool' to bash it constantly.
    The iPhone has become so popular and such a phenomonum that no matter what Apple release each year it will always draw a massive amount of criticism for what it isn't.
    Not releasing a new iPhone each year would be foolish. Surely an incremental update to keep it up to date and running well on the latest software is better than no update at all, no ones is forced to upgrade every year.