Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DADDYDC650

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
If they made the chassis look different, would it be "better"?
I think If the phone was smaller in general with the same screen size it would be an improvement. Features like fast charging, wireless charging, bigger battery and OLED wouldn't hurt either.
Your one lost sale wont do that. Its takes masses. They sell more now overseas than here.
You don't think I know this? LoL! Like I said before, Apple stocks are down due to sales so I'm not alone.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
Apple stock is down and they aren't selling as many iPhone 7's as their stockholders would like so I can't be alone.
[doublepost=1474953167][/doublepost]Note 7's display is VERY sharp and you can't see pixels or grain. Check one out in person before claiming it's the reason why Apple still uses IPS. I still can't see pixels even when I lower the resolution on my Note 7 to 1080p.

Putting words in my mouth eh. I said Samsung needs such high resolution because of pentile display. If they put a 1080p pentile display in their phones, they would look like **** compared to 1080p on LCD displays. I never said anything about note 7 display being not sharp or bad, what are you talking about?

I said apple doesn't need 2k displays on their phone because they use LCDs. I didn't say anything about why apple uses LCD displays. I was talking about Why apple doesn't need 2k displays.

DADDYDC650

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Putting words in my mouth eh. I said Samsung needs such high resolution because of pentile display. If they put a 1080p pentile display in their phones, they would look like **** compared to 1080p on LCD displays. I never said anything about note 7 display being not sharp or bad, what are you talking about?

I said apple doesn't need 2k displays on their phone because they use LCDs. I didn't say anything about why apple uses LCD displays. I was talking about Why apple doesn't need 2k displays.
Reading comprehension fail much? 1080p looks great on the Note 7 so your argument is crap. Samsung uses a new pixel arrangement on the Note 7 display so it looks a lot sharper/detailed vs previous OLED displays. Check out displaymate's review and educate yourself.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I agree to a point - Apple, although it is still heavily in the lead with the processors, has shown very marginal improvements to justify forking over $900+ for a new phone. If you are someone who has a 5s or older, then yes - this phone is a great update. If you have something newer, then I question why you really need to buy a phone so soon when your phone: 1) Has the same form factor, 2) Is still very fast, and is faster than any other Android phones on the market, 3) Still has the same iOS update cycle as the 7/plus, and 4) Has a headphone jack (Yes I won't let go of this joke yet).

Arguments can be made of, "Well duh - customers don't have to buy it if they don't like it." But when has Apple fallen into this sort of thinking? Weren't they the ones who made customers point fingers at OTHER phone manufacturers to up their standards? Now it's Apple that's fallen behind in a lot of aspects - they JUST got water coating, still NO wireless charging, using a LIGHTNING port instead of the universal USB C, mediocre 720/1080p displays, mediocre battery sizes relative to what is the norm of the phone ecosystem, mediocre voice assistance compared to Google's, and a lukewarm music service that is Apple Music.

TL;DR - If you got a pretty old phone, yeah, the iPhone 7 is a justifiable upgrade. But for everyone else, unless you have a valid reason (ex. phone broken, etc.), then you're feeding into Maher's criticism - buying into the hype machine, and coming out only to satisfy the board members and stock holders. Apple's direction with the iPhone is very safe, and unimpressive.
All the polls and statistics I've seen indicate that a pretty big percentage (close to 50%) of people get a new iPhone every year... so the ship has pretty much already sailed.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Not releasing a new iPhone every year? That's an interesting concept, and I believe Apple is already field-testing the idea with the MacBook Pro...

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
The 'yearly release cycle' thing is really kind of arbitrary, and a fairly recent trend in the tech world. If you remember the Apple of the 80's and early 90's (still a very popular company back then) they release products whenever they were ready, not on a schedule mandated by the calendar.

I mean, look at the mac classic, which was released in 1991, it was virtually the same computer as the mac plus, which was released some 5 years earlier.

Mac Os system software 7.0 came out in 1991, and system software 8.0 didn't come out until 1997, a whole 6 years later!

Last edited:

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
He's right. I planed on skipping the iPhone 7 long before I saw his rant pretty much for the same reasons. There is no reason to upgrade every year unless I enjoy making the stock holders happy.

I spent over $1000 for my 6S+ and about $750 on my 6S last December so they have enough of my money for at least another year.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
He probably has one lol. He made some solid points, but his show is for entertainment that's all. No different than your good friend busting your balls, harmless fun. He probably didn't even write this skit, he just delivered it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.