Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BioShock Infinite, the third game in the first-person shooter series, is set to be released for the Mac on August 29 through a collaboration between Aspyr Media, developer Irrational Games, and publisher 2K Games.

Originally released for consoles and PCs in March of this year, BioShock Infinite is set in 1912 in the floating city of Columbia. In the game, players take on the role of former Pinkerton agent Booker Dewitt, who teams up with AI-controlled Elizabeth. In addition to the standard storyline, BioShock Infinite also has downloadable content packs that Aspyr plans to make available to Mac gamers.

The game will be available through Steam and on the Mac App Store, along with Aspyr's GameAgent.com. Pre-orders begin today, and customers who pre-order via GameAgent will receive the Columbia's Finest DLC as a free bonus. GameAgent account holders can also get 20% off the purchase price.

According to Aspyr, support for BioShock Infinite's second DLC "Clash in the Clouds" is also in the works and may be ready on or close to launch day. Both the original BioShock and BioShock 2 are also available for download, via Steam, GameAgent, and the Mac App Store.

- BioShock [Direct Link]
- BioShock 2 [Direct Link]

Article Link: BioShock Infinite Coming to Mac on August 29th

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
According to Aspyr, support for BioShock Infinite's second DLC "Clash in the Clouds" is also in the works and may be ready on or close to launch day.

That's disappointing. When Aspyr mentioned they were hoping to have the DLC ready on launch day, I was hoping they meant the DLC that people actually wanted to play. Sigh...looks like I'll be booting in to Windows again when Burial at Sea is released. I am really looking forward to playing this natively in OS X though.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Apple needs to get serious with Mac gaming, especially given their iMacs are EXCELLENT for gaming (GTX 680MX is a beast). Even the best Mac games out there (Starcraft II, Diablo 3, World of Warcraft etc) run so much better in Windows that I quit bothering with OS X for gaming.

Apple, do something about this!

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Nothing done by Aspyr is native, it's all being emulated.

What are you talking about?

RAGE was native for OS X. There was nothing "emulated" about it. This is not a Transgaming or Cider release. If it were, it wouldn't have taken them so long to release.

-SC

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
That's disappointing. When Aspyr mentioned they were hoping to have the DLC ready on launch day, I was hoping they meant the DLC that people actually wanted to play. Sigh...looks like I'll be booting in to Windows again when Burial at Sea is released. I am really looking forward to playing this natively in OS X though.

No worries blasto! We will be right behind the PC release of Burial at Sea. If all the cards fall perfect, it will be simultaneous release. That said, give Clash in the Clouds a shot. If you like the combat in Infinite, this DLC is a crazy challenge.

Nothing done by Aspyr is native, it's all being emulated.

Sorry NerV, but you are misinformed. Aspyr has ported native and ONLY native for 17 years. :apple:

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
I already bought the windows version and played it through on my Mac mini. Hope it is available through steam play. I'm not going to pay twice and I would love to play it without booting into windows...
It would be nice if developers would release the mac versions at the same time so I don't need to use windows at all.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I already bought the windows version and played it through on my Mac mini. Hope it is available through steam play. I'm not going to pay twice and I would love to play it without booting into windows...
It would be nice if developers would release the mac versions at the same time so I don't need to use windows at all.

Why would they do that? Not many people own macs, and for those who do, only 20% or so game.

cartman61616

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Main page needs to be updated, Bioshock 1 and 2 and not Mac compatiable on Steam.

----------

I have it in my Mac games section. I'll try to install it later and see what happens.

Nothing, it's an empty file so it will "install" and just sit there with no data.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I have it in my Mac games section. I'll try to install it later and see what happens.

It's not going to install. Steamplay games will appear in your library weeks and even months before they're actually released. A few titles that were planned for an OS X release never materialized at all, but they've still shown up in libraries.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Would you kindly provide us with the system requirements?

Or you could not be lazy and just click over to the Aspyr site. But here you go:

Operating System: 10.8.4 (Mountain Lion)
CPU Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual-Core)
CPU Speed: 2.2GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 30 GB
Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 3870
Video Card (NVidia): Geforce 640M
Video Memory (VRam): 512 MB

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
Steamplay would be great... it'd be nice to see that enabled for Bioshock 1 and 2 (though I also own them on the Mac App Store).

I'd play BI on OS X but wouldn't re-purchase it.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Steamplay would be great... it'd be nice to see that enabled for Bioshock 1 and 2 (though I also own them on the Mac App Store).

I'd play BI on OS X but wouldn't re-purchase it.

Infinite is SteamPlay. As for the other two, they were ported by Feral so you'd have to ask them.
They've generally shied away from Steam, but Xcom is SteamPlay now, so hopefully we'll see their other stuff appear there.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Apple needs to get serious with Mac gaming, especially given their iMacs are EXCELLENT for gaming (GTX 680MX is a beast). Even the best Mac games out there (Starcraft II, Diablo 3, World of Warcraft etc) run so much better in Windows that I quit bothering with OS X for gaming.

OpenGL will never be as efficient as DirectX. And Microsoft will never license DirectX to Apple.

And the GTX680MX might be passable for a 1080p display (about the same as a Radeon HD7870 reference), but the much larger resolution of an iMac tends to big down performance a bit.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
It's not going to install. Steamplay games will appear in your library weeks and even months before they're actually released. A few titles that were planned for an OS X release never materialized at all, but they've still shown up in libraries.

Yeah you're right. It didn't do anything.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC

Hahahahahaha! :D

You missed the boat on that. Apple got "serious" about gaming over a decade ago. For five minutes.

They had a dev site and support, features all over the Apple site and a partnership with some Mac game dev regarding some third person shooter called Halo. Those were the days. Westlake and Aspyr ruled and Apple gave a **** for a second. That was also when Macs had real potential as gaming machines. Not the closed hardware systems they sell now.

Those days are gone and they are not coming back. If you want to play all the mainstream games you need to buy a console or build a PC.

But if you want to play Angry Birds and Draw Something on your phone, then Apple has you covered.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

How is this Apple's fault, that Bioshock Infinite is coming in August?

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012

Steam has it in your games section usually a month or two before it actually releases. I've seen this with Max payne 3, grand theft auto series, dota 2.....

Doesn't mean it'll install until they say it's playable on the mac on the store page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.