Bioshock.

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MAW, Aug 22, 2007.

1. MAW macrumors regular

Any of you had a chance to play it? What do you think?

Just bought it yesterday, only had a chance to play through the first level but I'm liking it so far. It looks great and the whole art deco/ mad scientist/utopia thing is pretty cool. The hacking component has already gotten kind of old, but all in all a fun game so far.:)

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Played the demo last night. Very much looking forward to getting my hands on the full game, unfortunately it's not released until Friday in the UK. Mine is 'in the post', I'm hoping it arrives before the bank holiday w/e.

3. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I was lucky enough to get one of the last two copies at my local gamestop.
    My impressions so far- the game is one of the best i've played on the 360 so far. It isn't your average FPS, due to the added RPG and puzzle elements.
    MAW as you said, the hacks do get repetitive and tedious at times, but that is overshadowed by how amazing the rest of the game is.
    The visuals and sound are really well done, and the combat system is cool with all the upgrades and the ability to switch between plasmids and standard weapons. I do wish that the hand to hand combat was a bit more like condemned: criminal origins; where you can literally pick up anything and use it as a weapon (rip a pipe out of the wall, crowbars, two by fours, etc.). I'm a couple hours in and sometimes running back and forth gets a little annoying, but slowly uncovering the story of Rapture is very intricate and rewarding.
    Overall, an excellent game, every 360 owner should rent or buy (read BUY) this game, or at the very least play it.
    If only there was online play...

4. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I picked up the game on tuesday and I haven't really gotten the chance to play it very much, maybe about 15 minutes. But the game is a 9.9/10 for sure

5. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I still need to to try the demo. But from hearing and reading other's impressions on this game, it sounds like a buy to me.

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

There is a small contingent of people who think that the game is the second coming of Doom 3, and they mean this in a pejorative sense. These people should be shot, or ignored, or both.

7. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Infidel!

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

That comment about Doom 3 is along the lines that Dells are the Macs of the PC world.

<]=)

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You played it for 15 min or less and its a 9.9/10? You need to go work for IGN/EGM... :rolleyes:

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Before I get shot down, I want to play fully through BioShock. But the atmosphere and personal situation (hunting better drivers, overclocking, sitting in frustration) from this game reminds me of Doom 3, or an imaginery sequel. It's actually a lot like the Doom movie set in an underwater city.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing as I like Doom 3 :cool:

You want me to be ignored because I have an opinion different to yours :rolleyes:

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Oh, no, the people to ignore are the ones who say 'It's just like Doom 3. And we hate Doom 3.'

The game mechanics are far, far deeper than in Doom 3, and much less reliant on monster-in-the-closet scares, which seems to be what the Doom-haters typically prattle on about.

I <3 Jimmi.

12. skatemore macrumors newbie

10/10

I've played this game for approximately 2 hours, and I think it is possibly the best game i have played for 360. I have not yet lost interest in the game for a moment and there is always something ready to pop out at you. I also am only 1/10 of the way through the game, meaning plenty more hours of non stop fun!

13. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

So you have 9/10 left of aiming with your thumb. :p

-------- -------- -------- -------- -------- -------- --------
    General question to anyone:
    When an area is cleared of monsters and there's no way for them to get back in, etc., does it randomly re-spawn new monsters? This is one of my biggest gripes about System Shock 2.

<]=)

14. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

If my computer can run this decently, my friend has convinced me to buy it! :)

15. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Good ask - I never let that bother me in SS2, but it wasn't exactly a welcome "addition" to the game that even now is either #1 or #2 in my all time favourites. (I never played the original SS though :()
    My copy arrives tomorrow - and I'm chuffed its a bank holiday weekend, means I can play the game through, headphones on, in a dark room. Colour me scared :D
    I've played the demo through 3 times now, and discovered more things every time, from a plasmid upgrade I missed (inferno) to just looking around at the packed and discarded baggage, with the anti-Ryan slogans, and posters banning bathysphere travel.... all the little things I liked about SS2 are there.
    Can't wait :)

16. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Played the demo on y 360 and I'm impressed. Not that I was in any doubt, but now I can't wait till Saturday to pick mine up. :)

17. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Actually, Doom 3, when they leaked the Alpha and everybody was crapping their pants about the quality of detail, was anticipated as being a follow up to the System Shock 2 genre. As I've seen, Doom 3, despite all its attributes, fell so amazingly short of being a System Shock 2 that most reviewers eventually dropped that tagline.

No, friend, Bioshock (and the whole Shock series) are very different beasts in the gaming genre. Above all else, they're built upon the player being immersed in the story.

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

One thing I really don't like is the respawning enemies...that annoys the hell out of me

but other than that :D and a few minor control issues it roks my soks

19. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

What's with the Doom 3 hatred? I don't get it. :confused:
    I guess you guys read Doom 3 reviews that overhyped the game? :(

I had no problems with Doom 3. It was enjoyable. Looked great for it's time. Standard FPS fare, I wouldn't say it had any frills. Quirks - yes. What kind of lame BS is it when in the future, weapons do not have flashlight mounts and/or your helmet doesn't have a built in light ala Halo? BS BS BS. Make the game creepy on it's own merits, don't try to artificially make it creepy by handcuffing the player by making them switch between a flashlight and a weapon every two seconds. :rolleyes:

My demo time with Bioshock has been great. I'll pick up the full version soon.

Like steamboat said...and I will scream this 'til the day I die... the game should've had multiplayer, both co-op and deathmatch/team deathmatch.

20. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I've just got my dispatch notice from Amazon for my LE version of Bioshock (woohoo, like, free tin box!!! :rolleyes:) now, do I make plans for tomorrow night, or whack on the big Panasonic cans and plunk myself down in front of the HDTV.... hmmmmmmm

21. Anorak macrumors regular

Anorak

I'm about 5-6 hours into the game and so far it's easily the best game I've played on the 360. The further you get, the better the game becomes. :D

With that said, I'm stuck at work and aching to go home and continue playing... it's addictive.

About Doom 3: BioShock and Doom 3 are completely different. I found that Doom 3 relied a lot on the "jumpy" scares where enemies fly at you from corners or dark rooms. BioShock is a different kind of scare - much more atmospheric, and relies more on the setting itself to disturb you. The places you see and the people you meet all have a certain twist that doesn't sit well with you as you play.

22. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I'll download the demo soon as my 360 is back from the shop I recevied email on monday that they received it and are fixing it. And no i am not going to complain to the BBB I would wasting theirs and my time ;)

23. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Huh? What? Where?!!!!
    Amazon has an LE one too?
    The Gamestop one which is gone except for fleabay where it is being sold for exhorbitantly high prices (upwards of $150 - $195)...didn't have a tin box, I don't believe.

I looked on Amazon, I didn't see an LE version available.

More info, Piarco, pleeeeeeeeease!!!! :D

24. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

They do respawn, but not in large numbers.

I actually like that because it keeps you on your toes. You can't exactly charge around wildly once you've cleared an area because there's always a chance that another Splicer has wandered in.

They won't, like, spawn behind you, but they're around. You can generally hear them babbling or what not, and it does provide you another source of money (for ammo/health, which you'll NEED on Hard), so it's a welcome addition as far as I'm concerned.

25. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

What route do you guys recommend I go to get the demo? Is there a good torrent?