Bitch to apple to exchange uMB CE -> uMBP 13?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pratap21, Jul 7, 2009.

1. pratap21 macrumors member

Hey all,

I have a uMB CE 13" and I wish to somehow exchange it to a uMBP 13" base model.

Do you think it's possible to bitch to apple about the screen..etc and get them to swap it?

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why do you want to exchange it?
    Is something wrong with it?

Or do you just want the newer model?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. pratap21 thread starter macrumors member

The screen on the older one is TERRIBLE! The viewing angle is the worst. The blanks are almost grey, etc

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If it has defects that cannot be fixed they will replace it with one of the many MacBooks they have sitting waiting for this purpose. They will not replace it with a MacBook Pro.

You knew what you were getting when you bought it and considered it fair value for money: what you bought has not changed. Stop being so childish and love with your MacBook Childish Edition.

5. Tharian macrumors regular

Unless there is an actual defect, I sincerely hope that Apple DOES NOT exchange it for you. Even if there is a defect, I hope they just fix it on your machine. Why on earth should Apple give you a brand new machine?

-d

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Unless it is defective, I doubt they will exchange it

But nobody here can answer that
    You will have to take it in for evaluation

It will depend on the store, the Genius, etc.
    And it will depend on your attitude when you take it in

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Here's an idea.

Live with it.

Apple has no reason to replace your machine because YOU want a better screen.

You can go try and whine about it. You'd end up looking like a fool because you have no reason to go whine about getting a replacement computer...

Just do what you want to do.

8. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

I hate to break it to you, but technology changes every year, every week and everyday, I also hate to sound snobbish, but Apple will not do anything, nor would they have or should, because then what would the result be, everyone coming in demanding a change, it was not a defect in the machine, it is their base model machine at the time, long term apple users have always known, you pay for what you get, the higher end the machine, the better it is made, from powerbook to powermac, macbook to macpro, the fact that the whole series now is Macbook pro is a step in a good direction, but do not think for a second that even the new 13" uMBP's will equal in performance(processor/graphics), display or workings to the higher end(aka higher price) apple still sees a need for differentiation, and they are a company that prides itself on taking care of all their customers, thus the lessened difference in make and quality, but there will always be a difference, thankfully smaller now than before

Sell it and buy a new one if you want, but they will not exchange it

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No

If the screen is so horrible why did you buy it in the first place. I assume you viewed/test drove the computer before purchase.

10. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

A new model was released some time after I purchased my car. Can I exchange it to that if I bitch. A lot. I mean really? For free. Just for me because i am extra special. :rolleyes:

11. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

back when apple switched from Clamshell iBook G3 to the white iBook G4, my parents bitched to Media Markt (a german electronics store where they bought it) about how they sold them a product, which they knew was going to be refreshed in 2 weeks (my parents didn't know). they got 500 deutsche mark back (which is now like 250 euros) lol

12. Vov macrumors newbie

I think it's possible to get the 15", though there is a lot of luck involved.

I purchased the uMB in Dec 2008 and the logic board failed a couple weeks ago. I explained to the Apple store how I was in an online class and needed my laptop pretty much at the start of the next week. They would not let me replace it for another 13", but when I told them I'd be willing to upgrade to the 15" they said I could do that if I paid the $150 restocking fee.

So, I got the just released 15", and only paid $250 difference.

Here is how you might have a chance:
    1) Talk to the manager, not a floor person. I talked to two managers, and the second one allowed the exchange.

2) In their minds, the aluminum macbook is still very new, so play that to your advantage. They did not seem to care that mine had been 6 months old.

3) IF you want the 15", then this method works. I doubt there is any chance at the 13" because it is cheaper now.

Of course, I was lucky mine had failed. But I still think you have a chance at an upgrade.

13. bossxii macrumors 68000

You might be suprised if you have had your UMB less than 30 days and you ask to speak to the manager about swapping it out, they may offer you to pay a restocking fee and then swap it out for you. I've had this done once when I moved from a 15" MBP to the 17" MBP, paid the restocking fee and the price difference and this was 38 days after I purchased the 15", the new UMBP 17" came out.

14. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Some of the things I read on this forum are ridiculous.

Why don't you just sell the MacBook and put a couple hundred dollars toward the 13" MBP? That way you'll get what you want without forcing Apple employees to deal with your attitude.

You can't just buy something and expect a company to provide you with a better model because the product got updated. Think about how ridiculous that sounds - not to mention, that's just asshat behavior.

If the screen was so horrible, you should have returned it within your return period.

15. Ann P macrumors 68020

Why do some people think they're entitled to an exchange whenever something new comes out?

"Bitching", making up excuses and throwing hissy fits to Apple won't get you anywhere. If you were unhappy with the display, you should've returned it within the 14-day period.

16. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If the screen is actually defective, then Apple will replace the screen. They will not give you a new machine. If you want a new one, sell it and go buy one.

17. belvdr macrumors 601

I think I am going to complain to Apple because my old iMac 17" 800 Mhz is too slow. Maybe they'll replace it with a Mac Pro.

18. belvdr macrumors 601

That should go for the iPhone too. People lock into a contract then complain when they don't get the cheaper rate.

19. cababah macrumors 68000

Yeah. AT&T was mighty generous to reduce the contract time for 3G customers but I should not use the term "generous" as they surely reaped profit from that move.

This is the name of the game when it comes to technology/contracts/etc.

20. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

If you really want the newest model - you can always sell your current Macbook to offset the purchase price of the new one.

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Remember you must have the same issue three times before Apple will replace it, so yeah... I mean you can't tell Apple that they should replace your computer because they made a better one six months later...

Wow I can't wait to be a contractor lawyer...

22. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

My PowerBook somehow got a PPC processor, I'm going to call Apple to see if they can replace it with an Intel MBP.

23. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

your first mistake :

not starting a new thread about it.

24. cababah macrumors 68000

They will only replace it if it needs to get repaired 3 times

[​IMG]

25. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

and i'm guessing they have alot of uMB's sitting around to replace it with, no uMBP for you.....sorry