biteSMS worth $8.99?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MultiMediaWill, Aug 17, 2010.

1. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I was thinking of buying it... is it worth it?

2. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Have you at least installed it and tried it out? It comes with a full-featured free trial. I have it installed to try it out and it's great so far. The only reason I'm not sure if I'm going to buy it is because I already have irealsms and I don't know if it's worth it to pay $8.99 for such a similar app. Someone did mention that when the trial runs out the only ads you see are in the settings part of the app but I don't know if I believe that.

3. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

My "trial" period has ended but it still works with small adds across the bottom just like a lot of "free" apps... That's the only difference I've noticed?

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

biteSMS is on almost every jailbreakers list of favorite apps so I would say yes! but yeah try it then if you like it buy it! :D

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Get the free version.
    The ads on the bottom of the screen when you open up settings are nothing IMO.

6. felt. macrumors 6502a

It's worth it for the quickreply and being able to sms within any app by tapping the volume graphic

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^this. And additional privacy features.

8. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

Reasons this app is a STEAL for $8.99
    1. Non-stop updates! Seriously, they update this app like 3-4x per month!
    2. Always coming out with NEW features
    3. Super close attention to detail and keeping the original Apple look
    4. Very committed to fixing any bugs that pop up
    5. They LISTEN to their customers. I can't stress this one enough -- you can go on their forums, tell them why you hate something or why it should have some other feature and more likely than not, they will implement it in a future release
    6. Tons of features -- go check out their website!

9. mokeiko macrumors 6502

10. mutantblack macrumors regular

Can't live without it. Very stable and worth every penny.

11. Tu13es macrumors regular

Thanks for saving me from having to type this up.

I bought before there was an ad-free version and I'm still glad I did. Great software and a great developer team. Lots of useful people on their forums too.

Also note that they tend to bump up the price with each major version, so if you wait a while it'll probably be more than $8.99.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

very well put great post! :D

13. jyj macrumors member

as someone who doesn't text a lot...i still love biteSMS.

i had a 200 txt plan from ATT that i was able to cancel ($5 monthly, and I never used all the texts up, but it was still cheaper than paying per text). I paid $6 for 50 texts from biteSMS (a small amount, i know) but they don't expire for a year and I'll save $60 in that time! plus, i get the great features of biteSMS. and, i actually like the pink! :eek:

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Worth every penny. BiteSMS is how the Apple texting function SHOULD work. With all the various options you're able to apply with your texting, this program is simply amazing. If you text alot, you'll really appreciate the quick reply feature alone. $8.99 is a small price to pay for such a great package. That and pretty much every JB'd phone on here has it that should also speak to its importance too.

15. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I used to use iRealQuickSMS and thought it was great on my 3gs. I decided to give BiteSMS a try on my iPhone 4 and I like it so much better. It seems a lot less buggy. Sometimes the screen rotation would mess up on iRealQuickSMS and cause half the popup to be off the screen. Works flawlessly on BiteSMS.

16. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm kind of in the same boat. I've been an irealsms user for quite a while now and I'm still trying out bitesms. I love it so far but I don't know if it's worth paying $8.99 for it when my trial runs out (I will not keep the free version if I have to look at ads and I won't pirate the app either). I love the fact that you can stop an sms if you hit the send button by accident (I do that quite a bit) and I also like that the icon shows a badge if one of your texts fails to send (I also understand that they are adding the ability to automatically resend failed texts). They still need to add mms support for QC and QR though. It's pretty annoying when you get an mms right now and have to manually unlock your phone and go to the app to see the mms. I'm also wondering if they're going to add voice capabilities like ireal has.

17. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I really like bitesms but I would try it first. It's slow and laggy at times though for no apparent reason. It's definitely slower than the standard messaging app but you do get many more features.

My personal favorite feature is quick reply. You can send a response within any app. Of course this is also the laggiest at times.

You get a free trial so check it out!

18. motty2307 macrumors regular

Now that I have it, I couldn't do without it. Try it and if you like it, buy it. I'm all about supporting the developers so we continue to get great apps that :apple: doesn't provide.

19. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

20. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

You will still pay the per text rate to ATT for all incoming messages.

If you don't have a text plan, the ATT rate is 20 cents each text msg, 30 cents for an MMS msg. The biteSMS rate is 12 cents for outgoing. Also know CDMA carriers, e.g., Verizon in the US, who can not accept the messages sent via biteSMS using the biteSMS credits. When they try and reply, it fails. This is documented here.

So, if you receive more than 25 text msgs/month or 17 MMS messages/month you are better off buying the 200 text plan.

21. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

One of the first apps I buy when I jailbreak
    Awsome app

22. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Do you like the features? Support the dev who makes it possible. $9 is nothing for something that you use everyday.

23. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

24. MultiMediaWill thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the replies! I ended up buying biteSMS because I loved it so much and I also got the biteSMS to RETINA messaging icon because I don't like the pink icon.