Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Well, this gives me pause about updating my copy of Transmission. I dodged the last infection and now this one. That said, I doubt I'll abandon the app, it works so much better than others I've tried. I'll just avoid updating, till they get things sorted out and stop being a target for these infections.
I'm with you. And I'm pretty sure I haven't actually updated Transmission since I installed it. Looks like that's turning out to be the correct strategy.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
not for me unfortunately on el crapitan , what build of 1.8 do you use?

I use 1.8.8 build 40420. Not sure what the terms are here on these forums but if they allow it, i can upload it and post it somewhere

You are the One

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2014
In the present
The package was signed by a genuine Apple certificate. There has been talk of certificates being on the loose before. And the similarity to KeRanger can't be a coincidence.

iLG

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
Can it bypass gatekeeper on the highest setting or on the middle setting?
I'd say you're asking for trouble when using software that is associated with downloading pirated works. When it all goes bad it's like calling the cops because someone stole your drugs.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
utorrent is worse

..and still 32 bit.....
[doublepost=1472595345][/doublepost]
This wouldn't happen if torrent apps were allowed in the App Store.

Well, that is never going to happen.
[doublepost=1472595452][/doublepost]
Oh wow, so close. Last time I opened Transmission was on the 18th to download some Humble Bundle stuff.

Only if you downloaded the app on the 29 of August or later, you are in trouble. If not you are good to go.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Can someone please clarify what is and isn't safe.

For example if transmission automatically updated within this period is it compromised. Or does the download have to be direct from the website using browser?

The last update was in March after the first attack, since than there hasn't been an update. Unless you downloaded the app on 29 August or later, you do not need to worry....at least for now.
[doublepost=1472595893][/doublepost]Anything on Apple updating Gatekeeper to deal with this?

Reactions: LERsince1991

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Is it legal to use BitTorrent to download videos that you already have on DVD or to download DRM-free versions of videos that you’ve bought on iTunes?

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Well it's easy to blame the developer, but consider what Transmission can be used to do. How much would an entity like the MPAA be prepared to invest in disrupting torrent distribution? I would think a humongous sum, and they could hire some of the most badarsed h4XXOr5 to make it happen.

How much chance does a small developer stand against hacking that rises to the sophistication level of state sponsored cyber warfare?

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Is it legal to use BitTorrent to download videos that you already have on DVD or to download DRM-free versions of videos that you’ve bought on iTunes?
Nope. The kind folks at RIAA have had their way. Lots of folks do it, but it isn't legal.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
No, but there's a free app that will remove the DRM for playback in any video player. The catch is it only works with an older version of iTunes.
[doublepost=1472602876][/doublepost]As for Transmission, I have never tried it and after the last malware scare decided I never will.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Nope. The kind folks at RIAA have had their way. Lots of folks do it, but it isn't legal.
Dang. I guess I’ll just have to spend $50 on the Tune4Mac DRM ripper.
[doublepost=1472604418][/doublepost]
No, but there's a free app that will remove the DRM for playback in any video player. The catch is it only works with an older version of iTunes.
[doublepost=1472602876][/doublepost]As for Transmission, I have never tried it and after the last malware scare decided I never will.
Oh, okay. Admittedly, a $50 DRM ripper is a lot cheaper than re-buying all of my iTunes videos on Blu-Ray or DVD and then ripping the discs, especially since I don’t have a Blu-Ray drive.

Last edited:

Rian Gray

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
NJ, United States
A quick question, how was it done? The way I read it, (or the impression it gave me) was that the website was compromised, so it started spreading infected version of the app. Normally I'd assume an infected app was uploaded to a different website, but in this case, I don't understand how the developers behind the app could let it happen twice.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else

This hasn't actually been tested in court IIRC.

There was a guy who torrented a bunch of movies he owned on disc and the studios tried to start a suit against him (sorry, can't find info on it right now) -- but they suddenly decided to drop the case after they found out he was actually very wealthy and willing to go to court on the matter. The studios thought he would just roll over and pay their settlement extortion and were afraid they would lose in court -- setting a precedent that they would have to show a target for such lawsuits did not own the copyrighted work in question before they could sue them.

The issue is the movie studios are trying to have their cake and eat it, too. They want to claim when you buy a movie on disc you are not really buying the movie to do with as you please, you are only buying a license to view the movie. But if that's true it means they would have to supply replacements for scratched DVDs and such because the consumer would still be a legal owner of a license in the event of physical media damage, and the studio would be denying the consumer use of the license they paid for otherwise.

Dang. I guess I’ll just have to spend $50 on the Tune4Mac DRM ripper.

Oh, okay. Admittedly, a $50 DRM ripper is a lot cheaper than re-buying all of my iTunes videos on Blu-Ray or DVD and then ripping the discs, especially since I don’t have a Blu-Ray drive.

A blu-ray drive can be bought for less than $50 on sale. It's also noteworthy that many times movies can be bought on blu-ray for the same or less than you can get them on iTunes. So financially, it would make more sense to stop buying stuff on iTunes and just buy the actual disc and rip your own digital copy (this also keeps you off illegal torrents). If you have a NAS and a decent Internet connection you can even host this digital copy on your own private streaming service to access away from home.

There's a big world of possibilities when you don't restrict yourself to Apple's little walled playground.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Transmission, while polished and stable, hasn't seen any feature updates in years. Even the logo feels outdated.

Any recommendations for a good alternative with a genuine mac feel.

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
This wouldn't happen if torrent apps were allowed in the App Store.
Being in the App Store does not prevent an app from being malicious. The review process is fallible and some bad things have slipped through.

Sandboxing prevents apps from accessing or writing to any directory users do not explicitly authorize. Even then, if the binary was still infected in some way, it could still write infected files to the directory the user authorized. The only thing sandboxing would stop would be the spread of the infected files to non-confined directories.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
What a boring internet that would be.

When the security of my Mac is concerned, I love boring.
[doublepost=1472634812][/doublepost]
How did that happen exactly?

When you sign up as an Apple Developer, you can add people to your account in various roles, for example administrator, financial, developer and so on, and these people can do different things. An administrator can add more people, including developers, who then have code signing keys. So if you have either a rogue developer in your company, or a rogue administrator in your company who adds a criminal developer, then you have a person with code signing keys who can put apps to the store for review which look to Apple, to everyone's Mac, and to the rest of the world, as if they come from your company.

Or you might have fired a developer or admin with the required rights, and not removed them from your Apple account, and years later they might turn criminal. Or someone might steal a badly protected computer from the right person.
[doublepost=1472634954][/doublepost]
Well it's easy to blame the developer, but consider what Transmission can be used to do. How much would an entity like the MPAA be prepared to invest in disrupting torrent distribution? I would think a humongous sum, and they could hire some of the most badarsed h4XXOr5 to make it happen.
The only problem with this is that if the MPAA was caught, that could be sooooo expensive, and I'm quite sure people would go to jail for this.
[doublepost=1472635039][/doublepost]
I'd say you're asking for trouble when using software that is associated with downloading pirated works. When it all goes bad it's like calling the cops because someone stole your drugs.
That has happened. And the police made two arrests for the price of one.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Can someone please clarify what is and isn't safe.

For example if transmission automatically updated within this period is it compromised. Or does the download have to be direct from the website using browser?

Updates are always safe because it checks an additional digital signature that can be created only by Transmission developers (and hopefully the private key is not kept on the server).

So the malware was only if the version downloaded manually from the website.

Reactions: LERsince1991
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.