Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clifhanger26

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Same here, I called the West 14th Apple Store and the 5th Ave Apple Store in NY.[/QUOTE

I did the same thing and both stores told me the same thing. After calling more than 10 stores in NY i finally found one in smith haven mall that has 2.8 octos in stock for 1899 i think they may have 3.2s also i'm not sure. I got mine on Saturday. Thanks so much for this post man. Hope this helps anyone in the NY area.

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Don't get me wrong, the service was top of the line, But there is no way that apple gave the creator of this post a 40% discount on a mac pro. The most I get is 8%

AdamTro

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Today I walked out of an Apple store with a brand new 2.8 MP for $1899 + tax. The store was in Madison, WI. The business rep's name there is Lyle if anyone's interested. I'm stoked on this price beyond belief. :cool::cool:

AdamTro

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Don't get me wrong, the service was top of the line, But there is no way that apple gave the creator of this post a 40% discount on a mac pro. The most I get is 8%

You are clearly mistaken. I can vouch I received the $1899 price today at the Madison, WI store. I'm installing software on it at the moment. The biz rep you spoke to was obviously unaware this special price is available.

Many people in this thread have received the exact same price at locations across the country. Are you calling us all liars?

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
I think this is just a case of Macpropro80 being upset his daddy couldn't save as much as we all did.

Believe what you want Macpropro80, but you won't get any respect or sympathy here for the way you're speaking to us.

I got the $1899 deal (actually $1799, and got Pro Care for $100).

You don't have to believe us. Call an Apple store anywhere and ask them what their business discount price is on the Mac Pro 2x2.8ghz Octo. If they don't have it in stock they may not be able to tell you.

But it doesn't matter, your sig already states daddy bought you a Mac Pro 2x2.8ghz Octo.

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007

well, macpropro80 ... you are simply wrong as I also purchased a 8x2.8 this way.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Yup the 2.8GHz 8 core mac pro for $1899 is NOT a myth. I went to my local apple store and booked a little meeting and the employee in the business department told me I can take one home for $1899 (no forms needed just took my word for it) but if I wanted no tax I had to bring in my tax exempt form.

I just didnt bite because I really want one of the nehalem especially since I've owned the 2.8GHz 8 core model already (doesnt feel new to me). But the deal is very real and very awesome.

Cameraman12

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2009
Cali
So do you have to fill anything out to get the business discount? But you have to open up a business account?

I personally didn't have to show anything or fill out anything (I'm not sure if that was because the Apple guys knew my work.) They asked me a few questions but that was it. But that seems to be what others are experiencing too.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Today I called every apple store in san diego and orange county but everyone was out of stock =/ Good job for those who found one!

weareattack

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
Just reporting to say that I just purchased a 2.8 octocore today for $1899.

I just told an Apple employee that I was looking for a Mac Pro for my business and I was curious if there were any discounts on the previous models. I was shocked that it was really that easy. I don't actually have a business so I had to pay tax, but it's still a great deal.

So I really got to thank this thread. I was originally shopping for a mid-range iMac and I couldn't be happier.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Just reporting to say that I just purchased a 2.8 octocore today for $1899.

I just told an Apple employee that I was looking for a Mac Pro for my business and I was curious if there were any discounts on the previous models. I was shocked that it was really that easy. I don't actually have a business so I had to pay tax, but it's still a great deal.

So I really got to thank this thread. I was originally shopping for a mid-range iMac and I couldn't be happier.

ugh... i really have to stop following this thread - you guys are all making me regret all the money I could have saved... *sigh*

this $1899 is a SUPER deal....

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
ugh... i really have to stop following this thread - you guys are all making me regret all the money I could have saved... *sigh*

this $1899 is a SUPER deal....

Yea, I know for something that fast its much cheaper than even the mbp on your sig. :D

My local Apple store still has a few left and I'm still pondering on getting one before its too late, especially knowing that you can put an ATI 4870 in one of these...

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Yea, I know for something that fast its much cheaper than even the mbp on your sig. :D

My local Apple store still has a few left and I'm still pondering on getting one before its too late, especially knowing that you can put an ATI 4870 in one of these...

Well, I take _some_ solace in know that I got my MBP (previous gen) for $1650 after rebate through amazon, but it's only a tad more expensive than that. The mindblowing thing is that it IS cheaper than I got my Powermac G5 for 3 years ago even WITH the developer discount. I think I paid about $2k for it back then (but I did upgrade the graphics card & added bluetooth & wifi).

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004

If you don't need the small size, return the mini in your sig and get it. It's so much faster than a mini. Mini is 600, this is 3x the cost with 4x the cores, and 800mhz faster in each core. Plus it's so much more expandable.

If space isn't the issue, the mini at $600 vs. the Mac Pro at $1899, the Mac Pro is a much better value. That's assuming you have the cash. If $600 is your max, then stick with the Mini. But obviously it's not, as you've been pondering it for a while now :)

The thing that did it for me was knowing that the 2x2.8 Octo was about on par with the newer Quad core Macs (the 2.66 and 2.93). 2.93 is faster in some things, but overall the 2x2.8ghz Octo will about as fast, in my opinion.
Based on that, and the fact that the quads are stuck with 8GB of RAM (unless the 4gig sticks work and you can afford them), the 2x2.8ghz Octo was a no brainer for me. I returned my $600 Mac Mini and RAN to the 2x2.8ghz Octo at $1899.

Just sold my MP 2x2.66ghz Quad 2006 model this afternoon for $1200.

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Went to the apple store today! I was wrong, they offered it to me for $1899, I wish I didn't buy that new mac book last Friday or I could have bought a new macpro!

btcoco

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
I just called my local Apple store and they offered me a business discount on the Mac Pro, 3.2ghz 8 core for $3599, this is so tempting....

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
If you don't need the small size, return the mini in your sig and get it. It's so much faster than a mini. Mini is 600, this is 3x the cost with 4x the cores, and 800mhz faster in each core. Plus it's so much more expandable.

If space isn't the issue, the mini at $600 vs. the Mac Pro at $1899, the Mac Pro is a much better value. That's assuming you have the cash. If $600 is your max, then stick with the Mini. But obviously it's not, as you've been pondering it for a while now :)

The thing that did it for me was knowing that the 2x2.8 Octo was about on par with the newer Quad core Macs (the 2.66 and 2.93). 2.93 is faster in some things, but overall the 2x2.8ghz Octo will about as fast, in my opinion.
Based on that, and the fact that the quads are stuck with 8GB of RAM (unless the 4gig sticks work and you can afford them), the 2x2.8ghz Octo was a no brainer for me. I returned my $600 Mac Mini and RAN to the 2x2.8ghz Octo at $1899.

Just sold my MP 2x2.66ghz Quad 2006 model this afternoon for $1200.

The thing is.. I've already owned the 2.8GHz 8 core model early/mid last year and I feel that its not a real upgrade to me since I've been waiting for the Nehalem. For what it is the mac mini is an awesome machine for just $600 but at this point I really want a Nehalem Mac Pro, even with the steep price.

If I do bite and buy the 2.26GHz or the 2.66GHz Nehalem Mac Pro, I'll be moving the mini under my sony bravia xbr6 as a full time htpc running plex.

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
I just called my local Apple store and they offered me a business discount on the Mac Pro, 3.2ghz 8 core for $3599, this is so tempting....

What was the 3.2ghz 8 core before the Business discount? $3599 is too expensive, when you can get the 2.8ghz 8 core for $1899. For $3798, less than $200 more, you can get 2 2.8ghz 8 core machines.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Just picked up a 2 x 2.8 for the $1,899 at the Indianapolis Apple store.

They have one left and as long as you have a business on file with them they will do $1,899. Jesse in business sales was the person who helped me in case anyone is interested.

Just in case there is still speculation that this is a lie you can see the $900 discount on the receipt.

Attachments

• MacPro.jpg
    MacPro.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Specs.jpg
    Specs.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Recipt.jpg
    Recipt.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 77

bigabe21

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Bloomington, IN
I tried to get one at the Apple Store in Indy and they told me that I had to have done previous business to get it at that price. Did you have a business on file that has previously bough Apple products?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.