BK and Tim Horton's Merger? Oh Lord...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thedeejay, Aug 26, 2014.

1. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Been caught up with this news lately and I for one do not want this to happen. Who know what could happen to Tim's (or as we call it "Timmies"). What do you guys think? Another Wendy's/Arby's?

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Wendy's and Arby's merged? Wow, that's a match made in hell...

3. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm not very happy about this merger because I fear Burger King may do bad things to my favorite Tim Hortons coffee. This is very serious business.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Never heard of Tim Horton's. I have to say it matters little to me given the fact there is no Tim Horton's where I live. :cool:

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yeah, Shrink says the same thing, he's never heard of it. Obviously, Tim Horton's hasn't established a presence in New England. Of all the coffee's I've tried, for Press, their's is my favorite.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They'll have a hard time here - this area is Dunkin Donut territory. Krispy kreme tried to come into N.E. and failed.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

We don't have many of Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donut's around my area. There are some, but they're not on every street corner.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'd say so. Wait till they start cutting corners to boost profits. :confused:

----------

Are they in the US? I used to drink TH coffee on my Canadian layovers. :)

10. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Yeah this is it. It's the brand loyalty which my kill them. Plus I'm not so sure about BK's management. They're not too well managed here, but that's subjective as I still seem them running in most places where they're open.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No, I don't think Tim Horton's is in the US. Therefore it doesn't really matter to me.

12. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

It is. No one should mess with my coffee (angry face). But it's more of what'll happen to Tim's and how it'll change more than their products. It may change because they change suppliers etc and then eventually will mess it up but that we'll have to see. BK has never impressed me tbh.

13. iBanker macrumors regular

I've been to a few in New York state. I think they're slowly moving south of Ontario, Canada.

As for the coffee, Torontonians looove it and the chain is expanding their selection to offer different roasts now, as well as esspresso & cappucino.

Wouldn't say say the coffee is better than Starbucks, but not bad for half the price.

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I think it is in the US - maybe just up North? I was just in NY and I'm positive I saw one there. I'm pretty sure they are also in Michigan as well

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes, Tim Horton's is in the US. I'm in Michigan and they're found all over here.

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's partially a by-product of them having been owned by (Ohio based) Wendys for about a decade.

B

17. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I tried BK's coffee once, and only once. I buy Tim Horton's whole beans and grind them at home in my French Press and it's just wonderful. I fear BK will somehow ruin that, and change their blend to something else, probably worse.

Yep, there are plenty of Wendy's locations here too.

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

While New England is Dunkin country, we used to have a chain called Coffee Connection back in the 90s that had great espresso drinks. Even though they were bought out by Starbucks (partially for the Frappucino trademark), Starbucks continued to sell several CC branded and style beans for several years after the buyout.

There's hope... Not to mention that pretty much all of Ontario would freak out if someone messed with their Tim Horton's!

B

19. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yeah man! I'm counting on the Canadians to preserve their coffee heritage for us all! :p

20. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

BK and Tim Horton's Merger? Oh Lord...

That would be terrible if they merged. I like my Tim Hortons the way it is currently. They are all over the place in western New York.

21. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

:eek: You need to track one down and buy some TimBits...

Attached Files:

22. snberk103, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014

snberk103 macrumors 603

[Update: I don't want to push this into PRSI - please note that the following comment was meant to be a humours jab at our Canadian perception of ourselves and not a comment on tax structures.]

What's being missed in this discussion is the tax implications. Canadians have been moaning for years - maybe since Confederation even - that we pay much higher taxes than our southern cousins. Yet, here is BK engineering a deal to move its HQ to Canada in order to pay lower Canadian taxes.

It's not just an assault on Timmie's coffee, it's an assault on our cultural beliefs, eh!

I wonder how long it will take before this tax provision is amended to keep other US companies from moving north?

[Update 2: Keeping in mind that the whole point - the only point - of the merger is as a tax saving measure - but it's better to keep the thread focussed on who makes the best doughnuts.]

23. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: If you want to discuss that further, please take it to PRSI.

B

24. dejo, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014

dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Tim Horton's has more than 800 locations in the U.S.

P.S. I would love to see a Tim Horton's come to Castle Rock. But I expect to have to wait a loooooong time. Or I get filthy rich and open my own franchise here.

25. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Funny thing is after living in Europe for so long the way they prepare coffee there (and most other similar types of restaurants in North America) is not really the way I like it anymore, though my parents love it. I take your word for it the store blend is very good, especially given the care you certainly (as a member of the espresso thread) take with coffee. Ditto with the food, it seems to have gone done somewhat-though I do like the bagels there.

I do share your apprehension to the future of Tim's.